U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2010, 12:49 AM

3,242 posts, read 3,446,195 times

Advertisements

I'm reading The Giants House by Elizabeth McCracken. Here is what Amazon ssid about it:
An unlikely love story about a lonely spinster librarian and a younger man, forced into loneliness because of his monstrous size. Peggy Cort, the reclusive librarian in a small Cape Cod town falls for a boy 14 years her junior -- one who grows to be 8 feet 7 inches and 415 pounds. Though initially attracted out of sympathy, Peggy soon finds she has much in common with this sensitive, albeit enormous man. A romance ensues, but the unique connectedness they share -- something neither has ever felt before -- is cruelly interrupted by tragedy.

And, Speak Softly, She Can Hear From Publishers Weekly:

Blurbed by Wally Lamb as "a sexy and suspenseful psychological thriller," Lewis's debut opens with shy, overweight New York City schoolgirl Carole Mason heading to a Vermont cabin, where she intends to lose her virginity to handsome but venal Eddie Lindbaeck. Soon after she does, Eddie's friend Rita shows up for a threesome. When a bout of rough sex leaves Rita dead, Eddie convinces the drunken Carole that she broke Rita's neck. Carole's best friend, Naomi, arrives at the cabin, and the three of them dump Rita's body in a snowdrift, swearing to never reveal what has happened. The reader knows (if Carole doesn't) that Eddie and Naomi will use this secret to make her life a living hell. Eddie demands that Carole give him stolen presents, extorts money from her and seduces her mother. Carole responds by leaving college and starting a new life as a waitress in Manhattan. Eddie finds her, and she runs again, and again, winding up in Vermont not far from where they buried Rita years before. Eddie and Naomi turn up and cause more trouble until a final confrontation settles the matter once and for all. There aren't many surprises, but this is well-written and gripping enough that readers will stay up late to see whether beleaguered, tortured Carole can free herself from the despicable Eddie.

Both of these are very good books, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 04:03 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,973,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
Calgary eh?? thats where Im from...lol interesting

I just started "Burned" the last book in the House of Night series
It appears she's a Canadian author and all her stories are set in Canada - One of her series (vampire type) was adapted for the TV series Blood Ties. I'm going to try her Keeper series I think.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:58 AM

12,493 posts, read 12,722,119 times
Just finished Great House by Nicole Krauss.

Will be starting this tonight: 97 Orchard: An Edible History of Five Immigrant Families in One New York Tenement by Jane Ziegelman.

Amazon.com: 97 Orchard: An Edible History of Five Immigrant Families in One New York Tenement (9780061288500): Jane Ziegelman: Books

Old 11-09-2010, 11:20 AM

2,315 posts, read 2,475,506 times
I'm in chapter 3 of When Elephants Weep: the Emotional Lives of Animals. It's very interesting, and I'm really enjoying it.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:56 PM

5,019 posts, read 9,240,581 times
On my nightstand:

Amazon.com: Wild Child: and Other Stories (9780670021420): T.C. Boyle: Books
Amazon.com: Light Boxes (9780982081310): Shane Jones: Books: Reviews, Prices & more
Amazon.com: Solar (9780385533416): Ian McEwan: Books
Amazon.com: Staying True (9780345522399): Jenny Sanford: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

I've not cracked open the Ian McEwan book yet.

I'm enjoying Wild Child, still scratching my head over Light Boxes and Staying True.

Last edited by plaidmom; 11-09-2010 at 07:35 PM..

Old 11-10-2010, 01:05 AM

6,608 posts, read 6,973,253 times
Douglas Adams' (Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy) The Long Dark Tea Room of the Soul, the second in his Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective set.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:22 AM

37 posts, read 21,576 times
Haven't read that one, although I have often used holistic navigation successfully.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:59 AM

10,212 posts, read 7,749,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twain Shakespeare View Post
Liberators just made my list. I am so bored I am rereading a book on Byzantium my Dad studied in college in the 60s. When will my library reopen?
I think I'm the one who reccomended Liberators. It arrived in its mailer from Amazon, I opened it and started just reading and did 150 pages by the evening. I'm getting a copy for a friend as a gift. It's one of those quite true stories that draws you into the time and place.

The best thing is the way things are not described by the author but in the words of the eyewitnesses. Sparce and to the point, but very blunt as well, in the way a picture can be over a page of words.

I've been reading a couple of novels inbetween that and the other books I have on the general subject since it is so good I thing they might suffer in comparison.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:10 AM

12,493 posts, read 12,722,119 times
I wasn't in the mood for 97 Orchard, so I started reading The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson.

Amazon.com: The Finkler Question (Man Booker Prize) (9781608196111): Howard Jacobson: Books

It won the Man Booker Prize for 2010 but it got pretty poor customer reviews on Amazon. One of the editorial reviews had compared the author to Philip Roth, which does not bode well for me because I'm not a Roth fan. I'll give it a try but it may be donated to my husband who IS a Roth fan.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Status: "so confused at my state of confusion" (set 13 days ago)

8,078 posts, read 8,314,898 times
Now I have finished this one The suspicions of Mr. Whicher : a shocking murder and the undoing of a great Victorian detective I will say over all that it was a good book slow in parts but still good none the less . I could not get through the secret life of cee cee wilkes -boring !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books