Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 06:00 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,940,909 times

Advertisements

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Vergehese.
Brief summary of plot, taken from the Amazon page:
It starts with the birth of twin boys to a nun,a nurse, Sister Mary Praise Joseph, in a small hospital on the outskirts of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; an event which no one had expected: "The everyday miracle of conception had taken place in the one place it should not have: in Sister Mary Praise Joseph's womb." The delivery rapidly becomes a debacle when it's clear that Mary Praise Joseph can't deliver her baby normally; the last minute arrival home at "Missing" (the Mission Hospital) by Indian obstetrician Hema saves the children, but their mother dies and their presumed father father, surgeon Thomas Stone, disappears into the night.
Both boys grow up to be surgeons.

Beautifully written with unforgettable characters. Plenty of tragedy but gentle humor as well. A look at a part of the world I know nothing about.

Before that I read Jonathan Franzen's "Freedom" which was a bit too snarky for its own good, but compelling reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 09:18 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,236,249 times
I am reading The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, a historical novel set in Japan at the turn of the 19th century. The island nation at that time was almost totally isolated from the outside world. Jacob has signed up for a five year stint on the island with the intent of earning a fortune in order to marry his wealthy fiancee back in Holland. I was immersed in the story almost immediately.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:07 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,188,161 times
Started reading "The Whisper" by Carla Neggers without realizing it was part of an ongoing story line. Blah, hate it when that happens. So had to put it down, just couldn't catch the story line without reading the other books. Back to the library.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:45 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,106,248 times
Rereading the 7th Harry Potter, the 6th Sookie Stackhouse, and reading The Girl Who Played with Fire for the first time.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:00 PM

410 posts, read 741,543 times
I'm currently reading the Anita Blake series, by Laurell K. Hamilton, and I'm hooked! I just finished book 13 today. I'm also waiting for the most recent Sookie Stackhouse book to come out in paperback so that I can continue that series. Guess I have a thing for strong female characters.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:28 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,188,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
I'm currently reading the Anita Blake series, by Laurell K. Hamilton, and I'm hooked! I just finished book 13 today. I'm also waiting for the most recent Sookie Stackhouse book to come out in paperback so that I can continue that series. Guess I have a thing for strong female characters.

I really enjoyed that series through the first several books, and yes, became hooked. However, I've gotten a bit irritated with the way she's taking the story line. I'm all for a good sex scene in a book, but IMO they are starting to lose the plots, and concentrating more on the sex scenes.... I mean honestly, how many can she handle at one time, and how many pages can you make it cover before the book is classified as erotica?? I"m not saying I'm going to quit reading them, I enjoy Anita's attitude and ass kicking style....but I think certain things need to be toned down a bit.

Enjoy the last Sookie, it was really good!

Old 12-01-2010, 04:34 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,788,771 times
I finished Fatal Voyage: The Sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, and now I'm reading The Color Purple (audio book) and Winnie the Pooh. How did I get through childhood without reading it?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:29 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,671,909 times
I just finished the fourth book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I read this book years ago and I am glad I reread it before moving on to The Wolves of the Calla; The Dark Tower V, which I am currently reading.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:06 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,788,771 times
I finished The Color Purple and Winnie the Pooh. I started In Cheap We Trust: The Story of a Misunderstood American Virtue. So far, it's fairly interesting, about the history of thrift/cheapness in the US.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:55 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,369,509 times
I'm rereading Uncertain Magic by Laura Kinsale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books