Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 10:46 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times

Advertisements

I'm halfway through The Tiger by John Vaillant Amazon.com: The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival (Borzoi Books) (9780307268938): John Vaillant: Books

It's the true story of a Siberian or Amur tiger killing people in Siberia. The writer frames the story within the context of the land, the history of the land, and the impact of perestroika (not good - the locals call it katastroika) on the area and mythology surrounding the tiger in beautiful language.

A short quote: "This was not an animal they followed, but a contradiction, a silence that was at once incarnate and invisible. Track stalked tigers before, and he had also been stalked by them, so he understood what was going on: the tiger was controlling the situation now, bending the future to its will."

My initial intent was simply to skim the first page and then I was hooked. When I googled for the link, I saw that it is apparently going to be made into a movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 12:50 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I'm reading Obsession by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker.

Douglas was the first full-time criminal profiler for the FBI. Interesting stuff.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:53 PM

289 posts, read 569,640 times
Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris on the Nook & Blood Promise by Richelle Mead as my physical book.

I know it appears as I am in a vampire phase but I swear I have others to read after I finish the Vampire Academy series. Including books from Heather Graham, Danielle Steel, Nicholas Sparks & I'm going to give James Patterson & Nora Roberts a try.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:35 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Question: What's the beauty of reading a book of short stories?

Answer: Even when you're enjoying them, you're OK with putting it aside when the book that you requested at the library is available. (As long as you stop between stories, of course.)

I'll start The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard tonight.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:12 PM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
I am reading "Walking in Circles before lying down" by Merrill Markoe, easy funny read. Walking in Circles Before Lying Down by Merrill Markoe - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Old 05-17-2011, 04:32 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Today I started The Liberators: America's Witnesses To the Holocaust" by Michael Hirsh.

So far it is good and expect it to continue to be....though it is painful to read the memories of those who liberated the camps.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:31 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

Answer: Even when you're enjoying them, you're OK with putting it aside when the book that you requested at the library is available. (As long as you stop between stories, of course.)

I'll start The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard tonight.

Part II

Answer: When The Fates Will Find Their Way proves to absolutely suck, you just throw it aside, vow to return it to the library ASAP so that it doesn't stink up your whole house, and go back to your book of short stories. It's seamless.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:49 AM

385 posts, read 858,836 times
I have started reading " No Price to Great " by Lee Solomon
So far it's a good read

Old 05-18-2011, 11:31 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm halfway through The Tiger by John Vaillant Amazon.com: The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival (Borzoi Books) (9780307268938): John Vaillant: Books

It's the true story of a Siberian or Amur tiger killing people in Siberia. The writer frames the story within the context of the land, the history of the land, and the impact of perestroika (not good - the locals call it katastroika) on the area and mythology surrounding the tiger in beautiful language.

A short quote: "This was not an animal they followed, but a contradiction, a silence that was at once incarnate and invisible. Track stalked tigers before, and he had also been stalked by them, so he understood what was going on: the tiger was controlling the situation now, bending the future to its will."

My initial intent was simply to skim the first page and then I was hooked. When I googled for the link, I saw that it is apparently going to be made into a movie.
This sounds good!

I'm re-reading The Book Thief for my book club.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:29 PM

220 posts, read 282,588 times
Finished Wrestling With Moses: How Jane Jacobs Took On New York's Master Builder and Transformed the American City by Anthony Flint. It was pretty good.

Going to start Just Kids by Patti Smith tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books