U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2008, 03:21 PM

11 posts, read 18,982 times

Advertisements

My second time reading The Alchemist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 01:52 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,444,500 times
I just finished Eat Pray Love... Very much enjoyed some of it, and some of it's philosiphies...but wasn't overall impressed with it. However, there is a chapter on Napoli and she nailed it! I wish she would have written more on Naples!

Also just finished Hot Zone, which I picked up due to online recommendations. Surprised that no one in real life has recommended it to me, with my interests. Intriguing.

Currently reading a Louis L'amour book... The Walking Drum. For my IRL bookclub. Uhm, why???? I don't want to offend any LL fans, but WHAT are we going to discuss about this book??? It really isn't up my alley, either. I've about had it with this BC, I really wanted it to work (for me).

Old 06-18-2008, 03:39 AM

8,819 posts, read 15,344,123 times
I just finished "The soul of your pet" by Scott S.Smith. Very good book.

i'm now reading "Bag of bones" by Stephen King.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:32 AM

12,723 posts, read 3,194,599 times
As amazon is my best friend when buying books I ordered some new today:

Blood Noire by Laurell K. Hamilton
Jack & Jill and Cat and Mouse by James Patterson...

Old 06-18-2008, 09:09 AM

4,726 posts, read 4,776,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
the list has been amended to include two new titles on my 'women in history' kick.

I liked Sena Jeter Naslund's Ahab's Wife so much years ago, until I knew I wanted to check-out Naslund's Abundance, the story of Marie Antoinette, when I espied it on the shelf at the public library yesterday afternoon. I had to return Helen of Troy. It is fiction.
I bought Ahab's Wife used a few years ago at a book sale, but it's still on my "to read" shelf. Too many books, not enough time.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:46 PM

8,819 posts, read 15,344,123 times
I got up to chapter 3 in Bag of bones and it's losing my interest big time! It is not flowing well...the beginning was great, caught my attention, but now it's lagging. I sure hope it picks up soon..or i may stick it back on the shelf and read about 50 others before getting back to it again.
So i went back to the previous book "Inheritance" by Judith Michael. I had gotten the book for free from someone, but it was missing the last 11 pages! So i ordered a "new" used one from amazon sellers just so i could finish the book.

I love that line tigerlilly, "too many books, not enough time." Looking at my overflowing shelves, I'd say about the same thing. I catalogued 5 shelves last weekend, all double stacked. Only have 16 shelves to go. lol

Old 06-19-2008, 11:00 PM
NCN

14,087 posts, read 12,486,704 times
I just went to the library and checked out THE SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS by Harold Bell Wright. We just got back from Branson, Missouri, and this book was mentioned many times while we were there. I wish it had shown up on my search before we made the trip. I am really looking forward to reading it.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:47 PM

37 posts, read 98,314 times
I'm currently re-reading Alastair Reynolds's Revelation Space. Also in the fiction genre, while not exactly a book, I'm re-reading The Tales of Wyre, which is so awesome (in the original sense of that word) that it spoiled me, all other Fantasy paling in comparison.

V

Old 06-22-2008, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,282 times
I am reading "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert....Great book!

Old 06-23-2008, 01:15 PM

5,740 posts, read 6,324,130 times
I just read the Incident of the Dog at Night-time. Excellent book and I strongly recommend it to anyone.

I am starting The Road by Cormac McCarthy today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books