U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-25-2011, 10:33 PM

7,813 posts, read 9,419,352 times

Advertisements

I'm reading Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller. It is MUCH more lighthearted than her previous memoir, Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight. I got the impression her mother hated the way she was portrayed in the first book, and this one was written to appease her. But, I'm enjoying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 04:54 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,810,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm reading Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller. It is MUCH more lighthearted than her previous memoir, Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight. I got the impression her mother hated the way she was portrayed in the first book, and this one was written to appease her. But, I'm enjoying it.
I loved Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight. I'll have to look for this new book. I think what happens when people write memoirs, is that at first blush, they're telling it as they perceived it, and then, having gotten it out of their system, start feeling they might have been a little hard on some people, and out comes the second book.

Then there's also the 'creative' part of writing, in which a writer's inner storyteller takes over, sifting through memories for the things that make a good story, but which may not actually convey the gray areas of truth.

I think it is a hard balancing act unless everyone in your life is dead and there's no one to offend.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:59 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,810,233 times
I finished the Picoult book. It was engaging the way her stories usually are but it was a little long, a little over-written, imho.

Now I've started The River Beyond The World by Janet Peery. Her style reminds me of Allende's early works, but I don't think it has any magical realism elements in it.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:54 AM

3,132 posts, read 7,605,286 times
The Devil Colony by James Rollins

Old 10-26-2011, 02:01 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,098,822 times
Carrot Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke

Old 10-26-2011, 06:31 PM

12,538 posts, read 12,796,774 times
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.
It's a YA (young adult) book but the synopsis of the story was compelling enough for this NSYA (not so young adult) to buy it.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:43 AM

403 posts, read 271,085 times
Columbine by Dave Cullen. It was a shocking awful thing back and there is a lot of information in this book--compared to the misinformation that has stayed with the story for a decade.
Book Review - 'Columbine,' by Dave Cullen - Review - NYTimes.com

Old 10-27-2011, 07:48 AM

6,927 posts, read 2,903,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afvet View Post
I finished James Patterson's 4th of July a couple weeks ago and it was great! I've read several of his books and have a hard time putting them down.

Isabella, check out Stephen King's The Cell. I get a little irritated with his books because he doesn't tell me enough about why something happens, but this was pretty good.

I also read Harlan Coben's Promise Me last week and it was good.

I'm glad to hear it, I'm looking forward to reading 4th of July. I also enjoy reading Stephen King's books, I'll check out the Cell. TY for the info.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:00 AM

655 posts, read 653,197 times
I'm keeping on my distopian kick (Hunger games, Battle Royal, Uglies, Unwind, Brave New World) and reading The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood).

After that, I think I'm going to revist more high school reading list books,especially those that never made the list in my school. Any suggestions?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:02 AM

3,089 posts, read 3,050,105 times
The Visible Man, Chuck Klosterman. . .. . .very interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books