Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 12:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who has found Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow to be a chore? It just doesn't have any sort of flow. I'm on page 35 and it's just so choppy and there's no one cohesive story going on. This isn't going well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 12:16 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,684,853 times
Currently reading The Girls by Lori Lansens about conjoined twin girls and their life in a small town in America

Old 12-16-2011, 12:28 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Currently reading The Girls by Lori Lansens about conjoined twin girls and their life in a small town in America
I really enjoyed that one.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:07 AM

I tried reading an advance reader's edition of In One Person by John Irving. I don't know if it's just because I don't like how he writes (I know I read and enjoyed at least one book of his, though I don't remember which one), or if I'm not interested in the story itself, or what... but I wanted to rip my hair out. And I only got 10 pages in. Feh!

I'm going to read some stories in The New Yorker Stories by Ann Beattie.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:49 AM

74 posts, read 73,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Am I the only one who has found Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow to be a chore? It just doesn't have any sort of flow. I'm on page 35 and it's just so choppy and there's no one cohesive story going on. This isn't going well.
I say skip it and see the musical if you ever get a chance. A local theater company put it on here in Queens a couple of years ago and it was outstanding! (sorry, I know that doesn't help you right now )

Old 12-17-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Time Baroness View Post
I say skip it and see the musical if you ever get a chance. A local theater company put it on here in Queens a couple of years ago and it was outstanding! (sorry, I know that doesn't help you right now )
LOL! Thanks!

I will try the other Doctorow book I got -- World's Fair -- as that feels more promising. At least I hope so. I'll get to it at some point in the next couple of months.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:58 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,737,655 times
Still reading Anna Karenina. I'm pretty sure this book never ends.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:04 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,759 times
Since the last time I posted, I have re-read "The Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scott O'Dell and "The Incredible Journey" by Sheila Burnford, both beloved books from my childhood, and they have held up well - I thoroughly enjoyed re-reading both. I also finished "Bag of Bones" by Stephen King which was a good read as well, and quite spooky.

I also read "The Year of Wonders: a Novel of the Plague" by Geraldine Brooks, which completely immersed me in 1600s England. She is such a wonderful writer, and her stories are so well-researched - I have really liked all of her books to date. It is a pretty grim, depressing story, but then it is about the plague.

After that, I read "The Chrysalids" by John Wyndham, another post-apocalyptic novel I had not heard of before. It was a good premise, told well, but towards the end it was again another example of "telling" rather than "showing" - just too much dialogue and not enough action. It was still a good read though.

I have now started two books, "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, and "The Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon, both of which I found through this thread. I've started Outlander first and am already enjoying it.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:05 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,280,890 times
I just started "Silver Bells" by Luanne Rice. I thought I should try to get in the Christmas spirit with a Christmas book. I like her writing style. It's interesting from page one and keeps flowing along nicely.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:20 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,363,482 times
I just finished Mary Boleyn The Mistress of Kings by Alison Weir, I was surprised how much I liked it. Not a novel but a well researched book on her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books