U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-03-2012, 01:17 AM

457 posts, read 424,193 times

Advertisements

House Rules by Jodi Picoult
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 10:28 AM

14,811 posts, read 8,117,275 times
Just finished "Deep Nutrition" by Catherine Shanahan, MD. A mind boggling book about nutrition in a way you may never have thought about it before. This is a book about paleo nutrition, traditional diets around the world from centuries past and how they made ancient peoples healthy enough to survive a harsh world. It's about how nutrition affects our genes and how we can pass on to our children (and grandchildren) the changes in our DNA made by the foods we eat. It's about how the changes in world foods has negatively affected us for the last 75 years and how we can eat the foods that our ancestors ate and thrived on for centuries. It gets pretty technical and scientific at times but would still be a good read for anyone who wants to make some healthy changes in their diet. Dr. Cate approaches paleo nutrition from a world standpoint of how widely separated groups of people still managed to get good nutrition from what was available in their area and distills it down to what she calls "The Four Pillars" - four distinct groupings of nutrition and how modern humans can eat from these groupings and improve their bodies, no matter what your age.

Just started, "Stolen Innocence", by Elissa Wall. Elissa grew up in the FLDS. It was her testimony that helped convict Warren Jeffs. Elissa managed to escape the FLDS and is now free of it's restrictive and destructive influence.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 06-03-2012 at 11:04 AM..

Old 06-03-2012, 10:50 AM

4,925 posts, read 6,283,478 times
The Amateur by Ed Klein.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:05 AM

14,811 posts, read 8,117,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
The Amateur by Ed Klein.
Can you tell us what you think of this book?

Old 06-03-2012, 01:22 PM

2,013 posts, read 966,789 times
I'm on a bit of a murder mystery kick right now -- current read is Therapy/Jonathan Kellerman.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:50 PM

220 posts, read 127,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I just down loaded all of Jane Austen's books...free on Kindle. I am working my way thru all classic literature. And most of it is free....love it.
I'm catching up with this thread, so sorry if this one is too late, but I LOVE Jane Austen. She's my favorite author. Something about the way she crafted her sentences. I'm never disappointed when I read an Austen. Happy reading!

Old 06-04-2012, 02:01 AM

9 posts, read 145,665 times
New to this thread as well. I have recently been reading through James Rollins books. I started with the Devils colony and have gotten addicted.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:26 AM

12,480 posts, read 12,692,446 times
While I'm waiting for a ton of books to arrive in the mail, I'm reading this biography about Queen Elizabeth on my Kindle:

Amazon.com: Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch (9781400067893): Sally Bedell Smith: Books

I just started it. It's interesting so far but it's a very long book and I don't think I like the queen 688 pages worth. But we'll see.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Status: "so confused at my state of confusion" (set 11 days ago)

8,067 posts, read 8,291,710 times
Im really liking the book ' A theory of relativity " by jacquelyn mitchard and I will be reading others of hers . I feel i can safely say I would reccomend her books .

Old 06-04-2012, 11:45 AM

38,755 posts, read 39,152,929 times
Just finished Yukio Mishima's "The Decay of Angels". It is part four of a tetralogy, but can be read by itself with no loss of comprehension. It's a translation, reflecting life in Japan around the 1960s. I did not know the circumstances under which it was written until after I read the book. Whether it is better, or not, to know that, I will have to leave up to the reader. Critics call it an important work, and it was good, but not something I would put on my must-read list.

Just about to start Julian Barnes' "Arthur and George".

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I maybe an odd duck but the only ones I liked were the plain truth , nineteen minutes and my sisters keeper . those are the only ones I liked out of all her books . take care .
No, you're not odd (unless I am, a distinct possibility). I read "My Sister's Keeper" first, and loved it, and felt disappointed by Picoult's other books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books