U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-04-2012, 05:00 PM

12,210 posts, read 11,600,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I'm actually thinking of moving to a secluded cabin in some God-foresaken part of the world with no electricity, running water, or paved roads... to avoid the danged things! (Well, not too seriously, but I do think about it!)
Mayberry?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 06:13 PM

6,799 posts, read 3,291,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Mayberry?????
Right... not. Mayberry exists only in my heart.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:28 PM

12,023 posts, read 7,141,776 times
I started Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl this afternoon. I bought it for Boris the Kindle and I paid a lot for it. Really, almost thirteen dollars is a lot for a Kindle book. Amazon always apologizes for the price by stating "Price set by publisher." The thing I remind myself of is the fact that I did not buy Boris in order to save money on books. I bought him to save space in my house.

Back to the book. Even if the story turns out to suck big time I will always be so appreciative of the way this author writes. It's beautiful and familiar. It gives me the warm fuzzies because I completely understand the husband's description of the wife. The shared memories they have that are totally different for each of them. These are explained so well that it is truly a delight to read each sentence.

I hope nothing happens to screw up how I perceive this book.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:47 PM

4,075 posts, read 1,385,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I liked A Thousand Splendid Suns much more.
I started reading Gone Girl, or is it Girl Gone? I've just read a few pages.
Finished it earlier, I liked it better too.

Just started Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Old 08-05-2012, 05:44 PM

6,799 posts, read 3,291,507 times
"The Tiger's Wife," by Téa Obreht on the Kindle Cloud....

It's starting out rough for me. I have to keep re-reading her sentences, but that does happen for me with a new (to me) author on occasion. Jury's still out as to whether or not I work past the first chapter.

FINALLY finished "Unaccustomed Earth," by Jhumpa Lahiri -- perfect in every way. I am ready for something different, now. Her stories are beautifully written, and very intimate. I think I need to read something less intimate, this time.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:49 PM

12,504 posts, read 7,728,332 times
Right now I am reading the book Big Trouble, by Dave Barry. It's from about 1999. It is so funny--and really, it's a good book! Every page so far has made me smile, and many have made me laugh out loud.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:52 PM

15,569 posts, read 9,121,218 times
Infinite Quest and Practical Praying both by John Edward.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:15 PM

10 posts, read 6,022 times
I just finished SJ Bolton's Now You See Me. It was good, and I am trying to talk myself out of ordering her next in the new series because I have over 300...or was it 500? books on my Kindle to read, not to mention all of the books I bought and have not read on my shelves. Just because they are neatly arranged, does not mean it's not hoarding!!!

Old 08-07-2012, 03:35 PM

12,210 posts, read 11,600,019 times
I just finished The Absolutist by John Boyne. Good, good book. Solid writing. Solid story. Good book.

I got a package today from my friend in NYC who works for a big-name publishing house. It contained six books. Five that I'd asked her for, and one that's going to be released at the end of September. She had read it and said that it was terrific, so she sent it along. I love having friends in awesome places!

I'm going to read Alys, Always by Harriet Lane, one that I'd asked her for, next.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:08 AM

12,023 posts, read 7,141,776 times
One of my favorite authors is James Hilton. He wrote such excellent novels as Lost Horizons and Goodbye, Mr. Chips.

Today's Kindle Special on amazon is Hilton's Random Harvest and I just cannot praise this novel enough. I have the hardback but when I was it was $1.99 for the Kindle I had to get it because I am weird about books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books