Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 02:00 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I had such high hopes but, apparently, if you don't care about the silent film industry and if you can't keep track of Japanese names, calm writing can't keep you interested. I got to 45% and thought, "You have 57 other unread books on your Kindle...
Hey, you probably got the important parts!

I decided to open "Sh*t My Dad" Says by Justin Halpern on my Kindle, and it is hilarious. (Actually I love his dad because he say the stuff I think but have conditioned myself NOT to say -- I used to get myself in a LOT of trouble before then. )

Anyway, it turns out it must be true, because he refers to his Twitter page, and I don't have an iPod, but apparently you can see them here, too.

It's sort of a nice balance with "Born in Tibet."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 05:59 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,665,376 times
just finished unbroken a story on luis zamperini great book

Old 08-16-2012, 05:55 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Wow, and I was going to read it! Thanks for letting me know!

DH loves Sanford, and I told him I wanted to read him after reading so many happy readers of his works here. He was dubious, knowing how I feel about violence. (I know a book needs to refer to it, I just don't like reading the gruesome details.)

Let me know after you've read it what you think, okay?

For me, I left off reading until bedtime last night, and then picked up "Born in Tibet" by Chögyam Trungpa Rinpochet. He was my favorite Bhuddist author (Pema Chodron)'s guru, and this is the story of his life. As all Tibetans, he believes in reincarnation, and was considered the eleventh in the teaching lineage known as the Trungpa tulkus. Last night I read about his reincarnation, and the history of his lineage. I don't know that I necessarily buy into the concept, but I respect others' beliefs and it was interesting.

Have a nice day, all.
So far it's very good!!

Don't even waste your time with Wicked...awful book, It's even ruined the original Wizard of Oz for me BUT on a good note DIL says the play is fantastic and when discussing the book with her thankfully alot was left out of the play

Old 08-16-2012, 06:51 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
...Wicked...DIL says the play is fantastic and when discussing the book with her thankfully alot was left out of the play
Funny how that goes, isn't it? Sometimes the book is better, and sometimes the performance of the book is better.

It seems to me that one truly unrecognized talent of really great authors is the gift of knowing what to leave in, and what to take out.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:07 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Just finished the absolute worst book I've ever read, Wicked The Life & Times of the Wicked Witch of The West by Gregory Maguire Hated it so much I no longer have the desire to see the play

Just started Buried Prey by John Sandford
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
My sister and I read that and both hated it too. Tried so hard to give it away but it kept coming back to us. I think I finally got our cousin to give it to her friend. Awful book!
I tried reading those Gregory Maquire books and I thought it was just me! I did actually read the whole first book (someone give me a medal), and I further bought one or two of the others in that series, none of which I finished. The first book did nothing but cause me bewilderment and extreme annoyance - but I did truly think it was me. So...maybe not.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Just finished the absolute worst book I've ever read, Wicked The Life & Times of the Wicked Witch of The West by Gregory Maguire Hated it so much I no longer have the desire to see the play

Just started Buried Prey by John Sandford
Totally enjoyed about the first half, and then it was a burden to finish it. I was disappointed because I DID enjoy the first part so much.

Right now I'm totally sucked in to the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:48 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I tried reading those Gregory Maquire books and I thought it was just me! I did actually read the whole first book (someone give me a medal), and I further bought one or two of the others in that series, none of which I finished. The first book did nothing but cause me bewilderment and extreme annoyance - but I did truly think it was me. So...maybe not.
It's good to know the rest are bad too. Not that I would ever try another one, but I do see them at the thrift shops sometimes and wonder if they are as bad as Wicked.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:21 PM

74 posts, read 72,974 times
Don't even waste your time with Wicked...awful book, It's even ruined the original Wizard of Oz for me BUT on a good note DIL says the play is fantastic and when discussing the book with her thankfully alot was left out of the play [/quote]

Until I read what you all have been saying about Wicked, I thought I was the only person in the world that HATED that book. My best friend and everyone else I personally know who read it loved it, and my best friend and I always have the same opinions about books. Until Wicked. I'd learned to keep my opinion about it to myself. Finally, I find some kindred spirits! I live in NYC, and I wouldn't even go see the musical, though maybe now I will since I see that people that didn't like the book still liked the play.

On another note, I'm currently reading the 3rd book in the Hunger Games Series, Mockingjay, after reading the first 2 in quick succession. I truly love this series...except for the sentence fragments. Oh, God, the sentence fragments! I mean, they're fine for occasional emphasis, but Suzanne Collins uses them all the time! It's like she's teaching the young women of the world to be strong, independent and think for themselves, while simultaneously teaching them that it's OK to write with sentence fragments. Fortunately the story of heroine Katniss Everdeen (I maintain Collins got that last name from Hardy's Far From the Madding Crowd) is so brilliant, imaginative and compelling, I'm forced to forgive Collins for the fragments. She truly is a genius storyteller.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
Default Book sale finds

My library started its quarterly book sale today. Oh joy, I have six new books to read and one replacement for one I loaned to a friend and never got back. The replacement is Still Alice -- Lisa Genova, which I loved after getting recommendations here. I'm glad to have it back on my shelf. The others are:

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat -- Oliver Sacks (He's the neurologist who wrote Awakenings. I met him at a lecture he gave in Milwaukee some years ago -- a fun and quirky guy).

Vanishing Acts and Nineteen Minutes -- Jodi Picoult

The Majors and A Good Walk Spoiled -- John Feinstein (what can I say -- I'm a golfer)

Silks -- Dick and Felix Francis (I've always loved these murder mysteries set around horse racing in England. Dick Francis was a jockey himself and understood the sport of kings from the inside out. As he grew older, his son joined him as co-author of the several books before Dick died.)

Yeah -- good reads ahead!

Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
My library started its quarterly book sale today. Oh joy, I have six new books to read and one replacement for one I loaned to a friend and never got back. The replacement is Still Alice -- Lisa Genova, which I loved after getting recommendations here. I'm glad to have it back on my shelf. The others are:

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat -- Oliver Sacks (He's the neurologist who wrote Awakenings. I met him at a lecture he gave in Milwaukee some years ago -- a fun and quirky guy).

Vanishing Acts and Nineteen Minutes -- Jodi Picoult

The Majors and A Good Walk Spoiled -- John Feinstein (what can I say -- I'm a golfer)

Silks -- Dick and Felix Francis (I've always loved these murder mysteries set around horse racing in England. Dick Francis was a jockey himself and understood the sport of kings from the inside out. As he grew older, his son joined him as co-author of the several books before Dick died.)

Yeah -- good reads ahead!
I, too, have been looking to replace my copy of Still Alice. I could just buy it for a penny on Amazon, but the hunt is kind of fun now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books