Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I started listening to Samuel Beckett's "Molloy" on my Zune this morning while working out a quilted sleeve for my laptop, and it is an absolute delight! I don't think I could read it, with all the digressions and asides, but the reader is doing a great job of it.
Oh that's interesting - I think I'd be the exact opposite - would enjoy reading it myself or seeing it performed but wouldn't like having that kind of work read to me. Glad you're enjoying it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Now reading:"The Road"
I'm reading another Cormac McCarthy book now (Blood Meridian) and think The Road might be next for me. I hope you'll let us know how you like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 12:47 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,352 times
Just breezed through "The Maze Runner" by James Dashner. Quite good but not as good as The Hunger Games.

Now I'm currently reading "Skin and Bones" by Tom Bale. Quick read so far. I have to go through the lighter material of my to read pile right now. I don't have much time for deeper thinking at the moment

Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Gave up on Prep because it's boring. The first 20 pages were the best part of the book.

I've borrowed a copy of Gone Girl and will give it a try. I don't know what it's about other than it's a thriller. Is it violent and/or gory? If so, I won't get far.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:07 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. Wanted to read it for a long time and it was a Kindle Deal of the Day so I bought it. I like his smart-a$$ attitude so I was pretty sure what I was getting into. Not quite half done and not at all the reveal I expected. Maybe it picks up.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Recently finished Lethal by Sandra Brown and Sarah's Key which I loved. I am now starting Ella Minnow Pea.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Recently finished Lethal by Sandra Brown and Sarah's Key which I loved. I am now starting Ella Minnow Pea.
Gosh, we have another speedy reader in the group! You are so intimidating to a slug reader like me...

Old 09-11-2012, 10:38 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
"No Easy Day" by Mark Owen, one of the Navy SEALS who killed Bin Laden. Very dry reading but if the government is so pi$$ed about it, I wanna read it!

Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Gosh, we have another speedy reader in the group! You are so intimidating to a slug reader like me...
I felt like they took me forever to read so I don't know that I'm a speedy reader these days. If only I didn't have a job, I could read the whole time the kids are at school.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
"No Easy Day" by Mark Owen, one of the Navy SEALS who killed Bin Laden. Very dry reading but if the government is so pi$$ed about it, I wanna read it!
I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it until I saw Owen on 60 Minutes. Hopefully sometime this week or the next I'll make it to a book store.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:16 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
I had computer problems over the weekend so I spent more time reading than usual. I was just about to give up on Some Sing, Some Cry due to the flowery language that takes over the first 30 or 40 pages when the writers finally got the story going.

It is about 7 generations of black women, starting from right after the Civil War to the present. The writers explain some of their thinking in terms of accent to use in the afterword, saying that they wanted the language of the times to be reflected in how they choose to write the story. It is a big, thick book that kept me reading into the wee hours, always thinking to myself that I would just finish the page and then I'd go to bed but I kept reading more and more pages.

So sometimes it is worthwhile to persevere past the initial pages. Sometimes, even when reading about fictional characters (living historical events), I get downright depressed thinking about man's inhumanity to man. The way the book is written you can see so clearly the hopefulness of each new generation and then the crap that happens in life, and how it pulls you in directions you never wanted to go.

I have one quibble about the way language is used - if a writer uses language to express a dialect or slang in conversation, that's one thing - but in a couple of places that spilled over into the non-dialogue portions of the story - like 'creepin'.' If the writers dropped the gees all the way through their non-dialogue portions that would be fine - I don't understand why they drop it sometimes. Rarely. I can't help but think that was an error someone should have caught.

It doesn't make sense otherwise to use 'proper' English, and then suddenly a word where you drop your g.

That quibble aside, I think anyone who has an interest in black American history would be particularly interested in this book.

I've started Doc (a fictional account of Doc Holliday) by Mary Doria Russell but it might take me a while to finish it as I have a busy week this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books