Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 PM

7,304 posts, read 9,311,516 times

Advertisements

I'm still reading Doc and I'm getting mighty sick of it. I think my reading of it was interrupted too many times and by now I feel like I've been reading that damned book for years. It is dense and I need to concentrate on it. It is beautifully written - it isn't the book, it is me at this time, with too much work and a cold that won't leave me.

Actually jtur88, I think you might enjoy this book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 12:27 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I wonder if you'd like Diane Schoemperlen? She writes like I think. And Joan Barfoot writes quiet kind of books where it is about the characters. I am thinking of Abra.
Well, there you go. You cost me another $5.99.

This book has ME written all over it:
In the Language of Love: Diane Schoemperlen: 9780140252385: Amazon.com: Books

Did you read the Amazon synopsis:
Quote:
In this astonishingly inventive novel, Diane Schoemperlen uses the 100 stimulus words from the Standard Word Association Test as a narrative framework for exploring her heroine's growing understanding of the meaning of love. A tour de force of wit and wordplay, In the Language of Love is a wise and compassionate collage of one woman's coming of emotional age.
Hello! Wit and wordplay? Yes, please!

Thank you, netwit!

PS. Too much work AND you have a cold? UGH! Try to rest up -- the work can wait, no? -- and feel good soon, sweets.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:23 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
I wonder if you'd like Diane Schoemperlen? She writes like I think. And Joan Barfoot writes quiet kind of books where it is about the characters. I am thinking of Abra.
Oh, and I'm not sure if you meant to say that -- what I bolded -- or if you meant to write "She writes like that, I think" but regardless... I like the way you think.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:00 PM

220 posts, read 282,574 times
I am about to start Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roach. I loved her book Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers but got stuck, twice, on Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void, so hopefully this one is more like Stiff. She is hilarious.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:43 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
Quote:
I'm still reading Doc and I'm getting mighty sick of it. I think my reading of it was interrupted too many times and by now I feel like I've been reading that damned book for years. It is dense and I need to concentrate on it. It is beautifully written - it isn't the book, it is me at this time, with too much work and a cold that won't leave me.

Actually jtur88, I think you might enjoy this book.
I know I did like it too .

Old 09-28-2012, 09:40 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
I am about to start Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roach. I loved her book Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers but got stuck, twice, on Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void, so hopefully this one is more like Stiff. She is hilarious.
Don't forget Bonk ... there is a TED talk about Bonk

Mary Roach: 10 things you didn't know about orgasm - YouTube

Old 09-29-2012, 06:38 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,585,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm 10% in on The Missing Shade of Blue by Jennie Erdal. I. AM. LOVING. IT.

It just confirms what I already suspected: I love those "quiet" stories, where nothing much needs to happen, it's all about the characters and real life.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but, yes, that's it! I'm glad you're enjoying it so much. Fun to inspire each other to read titles we might not have chosen otherwise - Ketabcha just did that for me the other day

Old 09-29-2012, 06:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
About 1/3 of the way through "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", and pretty disappointed with it. Just a series of droll anecdotes, something like "Catch 22", and his writing style lacks elegance. It's on a non-fiction shelf at the library, but I have serious doubts about the historical accuracy of the particulars of the lives of the characters, and there are no sourcing footnotes at all.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-29-2012 at 07:00 AM..

Old 09-29-2012, 08:03 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It just confirms what I already suspected: I love those "quiet" stories, where nothing much needs to happen, it's all about the characters and real life.
That is such a good description, Dawn. "Quiet stories."

Since joining this forum I have found some really fine quiet stories thanks to other readers who mention them. Books like Olive Kitteridge and Jaybar Crow were books that I would never have read but now they are books I read. The quiet stories are often extremely powerful and often they are just what I need.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:16 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,098,316 times
I'm reading Jeffrey Deaver's broken window right now. and its very good.

this is my 3rd straight Jeffrey Deaver book, Edge and the Blue Nowhere were excellent also.

very talented writer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books