Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 08:16 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. I may read it, but I won't be in a hurry, I guess. I'm still reading The Professor and the Madman. I discovered the first season of Revenge on Netflix and it's cutting into my reading time. Sometimes you just gotta love a mindless soap opera. Or at least I do.
Nothin' wrong with mindless soap operas, Marlow.

I think I was expecting Rowling to be writing like Maeve Binchey and she is not.....because she is not Binchey. It is starting to pick up a bit but I really don't like any of the characters very much. I need someone to cheer for.

I need a hero in this book!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 08:32 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
This sounds great - thanks to Amazon's 1-click it is now next on my list after I finish "The Cutting Season"

Thanks!
OK - I finished "The Cutting Season" - three point five stars...

I was about to start my new Paul Coelho book but decided that maybe I should finally read "The Alchemist" first. So - currently on page xi.....

I love a towering bedside table!

Old 10-02-2012, 04:29 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
(Still reading in the Garden of Beasts- like it VERY much just don't have lots of time to read-)... and thanks to the suggestion here I just received notice that the Veronika book by Paul Coelho is ready for me at the liberry.
I did read the Alchemist and liked it very much.

and, I LOVED Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil so so so much that I feel I have to defend it

Old 10-02-2012, 05:12 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
My reading problem is over:

I started The Language of Flowers (hi, Pinetreelover!!!!) last night and I'm loving it.

Gone Girl came in for me at the library (or liberry -- LOL, Mayvenne! Love it!) but I don't have to take it out for 5 days. By that time, I'll have finished "the flower book" and although I'll be starting my heavy-duty-doody work project, I'll have Gone Girl to escape to at the end of the work day.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
My reading problem is over:

I started The Language of Flowers (hi, Pinetreelover!!!!) last night and I'm loving it.

Gone Girl came in for me at the library (or liberry -- LOL, Mayvenne! Love it!) but I don't have to take it out for 5 days. By that time, I'll have finished "the flower book" and although I'll be starting my heavy-duty-doody work project, I'll have Gone Girl to escape to at the end of the work day.
Yeah, Dawn! I'm so glad you are reading "The Language of Flowers". That and "Gone Girl" are my two favorite books of the summer. And I don't think that you could find two more polar opposites than Victoria and Amy.

I'll be looking forward to your review.

Pinetree

Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I think you and I must be twins who were separated at birth because I am going through the same thing. I enjoyed the Wool series and I went through a lot of zombie books, too. I seem to have swung over to post apoc tales without the zombies in the last few months. I have no idea why all this started but I've been at it for over a year. However, I still read other genres but I like a good post apoc book between the others.

I think there is something about the good guys finding safe places to be, places with water and food and shelter that makes me happy. Plus, I am hooked on The Walking Dead and my interest in finding safety seems to begin with season 1 of that show.
Huge "the walking dead" fan here as well. I have not read the books , only the AMC series though. Did you read "the first shift, legacy" of the Wool series ? I guess that is the latest. After finishing books 1-6 I sort of had a feel good feeling about the series, kind of like there is hope for them. Then after reading the last book.. it thru me for a loop and left me feeling all depressed about them.
Did you read the "day by day armageddon" series ? I'm hooked on that one as well.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Did you read the "day by day armageddon" series ? I'm hooked on that one as well.
OMG, yes! That may be the one that got me started. His latest in the series is due out this month. I have been waiting for it so long. I would get so nervous when he and John were flying around trying to save people. The older woman and the grandson just about did me in. This is a totally great series. When they found the underground bunker I was so happy and nervous about the door they could not secure.

I've read "The Walking Dead" but not all of it. I am up to the part where the woman with the swords appears in the story. Actually, I like the show better than the books because I'm really not into graphic/comic style stories.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 AM

I've given up on The Casual Vacancy but I will return to it at some point. I guess this will spill the beans about me but I want to be able to say I have read it. Don't tell anyone I said that, please.

I got a $1.99 Kindle story this morning and can't put it down. Animal Attraction is the story of a lonely woman who adopts two cats. They save her sanity. I think I identify somewhat with just how much the cats mean to her. I've never been lonely (knock on wood) and I always had a dog but I adopted 2 cats from a friend's son whose girlfriend was allergic to cats and these two cats changed my life. I know that sounds a bit dramatic but they really did. Cats are not demanding unless it is time to eat and they take care of themselves for the most part. I don't feel guilty when I leave them for a night or two. They sleep most of the time. Anyway, this author's story of how the cats changed her life and her outlook on life is clever and funny. It's a short book.

Next up is The Last Night at the Ritz which I have been waiting for and just became available on the kindle this morning. I'm excited about this one. Hopefully it is right up my alley.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

Next up is The Last Night at the Ritz which I have been waiting for and just became available on the kindle this morning. I'm excited about this one. Hopefully it is right up my alley.
I've also been waiting for that and eagerly awaited its arrival on my Kindle... today!

Of course, I'm already reading something else, and then will read Gone Girl first, but I'm at least happy that The Last Night at the Ritz is sitting on my Kindle for me.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:53 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I am starting hemingways girl and i have two books on hold at the library and they are the cutting season as reccomended by someone on here and also have the birth home on hold as well . reccomended by a pen pals and she says she loves it .. I hope they are both good and something I will be interested in reading . I will come back here and let everyone know how I liked Hemingway's girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books