Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 04:34 AM

161 posts, read 370,560 times

Advertisements

reading the Catcher in the Rye for the 13th or 14th time. Just trying to figure out why so many crazies and conspiracy theorist love this book. Do they relate to Holden or do they go nuts wanting another chapter?.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,003 times
Default Skinny *****

I'm currently reading "Skinny *****" by Rory Freedman for my progressive book club. It's a hilarious take on healthy diets. The subtitle is "A no-nonsense, tough-love guide for savvy girls who want to stop eating crap and start looking fabulous".
Lots of dirty language, funny, and very entertaining!

Old 11-30-2008, 03:40 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times
I am reading Thirteen Moons by Frazier. I liked Cold Mountain better, but this is a great read also.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:18 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,061,457 times
Queen - Alex Haley and David Stevens

Old 11-30-2008, 07:39 PM

8 posts, read 16,541 times
OK, I am reading 2 books at this moment. One is from Nora Roberts (she is one of my favorites) The in the garden series. I am on Book #2 the black rose. and also reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. I have all of the Stephen Kings books. The Da Vinci Code was great and so was Angel and Demons. I love me so D. Brown. I have all of John Sauls, James Pattersons, Dean Koons, and V. C. Andrews. I also have read all of the Harry Potter Books.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
For those who like to read cookbooks:

"Food 2.0: Secrets from the Chef Who Fed Google " by Charlie Ayers

"Outstanding in the Field: A Farm to Table Cookbook" by Jim Denevan

"The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper: Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show" by Lynne Rossetto Kasper and Sally Swift

Old 12-01-2008, 03:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Just started "A Corpse in the Koryo"---a murder mystery that takes place ei, of all places, North Korea. Author is an unidentified seasoned US intelligence agent, pseudonym James Church. The book seems to have promise, at least for its insight into North Korea, and a panel of US spies have read the book and agreed that it is a reasonable representation of life in North Korea.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:28 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,928,486 times
I'm still adjusting to not having to read dry uni notes. I've finally started and am loving, Ayn Rands 'Atlas Shrugged.' My better half said that the protaganist, Dagny, reminded him of me.
I'm taking that as a compliment.

I've also started 'American Wife' by Curtis Sittenfeld. It's based "loosely" on the life of Laura Bush apparently. I'll reserve my opinions until I'm further into it. The funny thing is, one of the characters in this book was reading 'Atlas Shrugged'!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:32 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,412 times
Just started 'Duma Key' by Stephen King today. It's a big book which is rare for me but I'm enjoying it so far. I find that books of its size often have really slow starts but, even though there is a lot of scene-setting, I've been taken by it since page 1.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:04 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkpower View Post
House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski. For the 3rd time
I just finished reading that book on Sunday and my head STILL hurts!! I just decoded the letter at the end and got chills. great book, but not a quick read at all. I need a little break from this guy before I get into Only Revolutions (might pick up The Whalestoe Letters over Xmas if it's a short book). creepy book overall! (I'll never look at spiral stairs the same way again!). I have no clue how you could have read that book 3x w/o your head exploding!

just started (literally just picked it up) The Kite Runner since I wanted to wait until the 2nd book came out in paperback before buying it. I always read at least 3 books at a time, especially during school breaks, so I may start either The Art of Running in the Rain or The Story of Edgar Sawtelle (books recommended to me b/c they feature dogs and I like stories w/ dogs) and also going to start Just After Sunset by Stephen King once I get it (early Xmas gift from a friend)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books