Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2012, 01:34 PM

990 posts, read 1,725,522 times

Advertisements

The Book Thief-it's good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
All three books I currently have in process are becoming "Oh yeah, I could read" reads. Not really driven to finish them, but cannot say I don't enjoy them when I finally pick them up.

Book: "Come, Thou Tortoise," by Jessica Grant
Finding myself enjoying Winifred's (tortoise) chapters more than Oddley's (woman's)

Audiobook: "Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love," by Larry Levin
Kindle: "Up: A Mother and Daughter's Peakbagging Adventure," by Patricia Ellis Herr
This mother is just a bit to UPBEAT for my taste. Maybe it is just that I am not as enthralled with her daughter as she. Actually, I just don't get all that excited about kids, regardless of whose.

And still I find myself checking out the fare at Overdrive's digital downloads via our library system...

Old 11-14-2012, 02:13 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Aww, Deb, I'm sorry that you're not enjoying Come, Thou Tortoise as much as I did. Maybe it was all the hype. When I'd read it a few years ago, I'd never heard of it before. Then I started babbling about it here, people here read it, and they started talking about it. Sometimes the hype is just too much. I get that.

Please get yourself Crossing to Safety before that hype gets bigger.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:16 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I'm a little more than halfway through Crossing to Safety.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm a little more than halfway through Crossing to Safety.
Are you loving it... or was it hyped too much before you got to it? (If the latter, I'm going to stop posting on this forum because I ruin books.)

Old 11-14-2012, 02:22 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,095 times
Just started reading "Freedom" by Jonathan Franzen. It's the first time I've read anything by him, and I'm impressed thus far.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Are you loving it... or was it hyped too much before you got to it? (If the latter, I'm going to stop posting on this forum because I ruin books.)
No I love how it's written--very descriptive and reflective. I could see people thinking it's slow-moving, but I'm fine with slow if I get deeply into the descriptions of the surroundings, and the thoughts of the narrator.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
No I love how it's written--very descriptive and reflective. I could see people thinking it's slow-moving, but I'm fine with slow if I get deeply into the descriptions of the surroundings, and the thoughts of the narrator.
Oh, thank God. I didn't actually find it slow; I found it like life, if that makes sense.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 PM

Like my life at least: no high highs, no low lows. Just the way I like it.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Quote:
Aww, Deb, I'm sorry that you're not enjoying Come, Thou Tortoise as much as I did. Maybe it was all the hype. When I'd read it a few years ago, I'd never heard of it before. Then I started babbling about it here, people here read it, and they started talking about it. Sometimes the hype is just too much. I get that.

Please get yourself Crossing to Safety before that hype gets bigger.
Quote:
Oh, thank God. I didn't actually find it slow; I found it like life, if that makes sense.
Aw, Girlfriend, don't beat on yourself on my account. I don't think it's the book. I think I've just got too many things going right now, and I'm tired (and sore, but that's another story).

I AM enjoying both parts of "Come, thou tortoise." I just enjoy the tortoise's perspective more. I was just telling DH over breakfast the other morning what a unique voice this author has, and I love her ability to not just SEE the world from other perspectives -- including that of a tortoise, but her ability to convey what she sees in the VOICE of the character. It's a real gift.

So, please, hype away. You are very much appreciated here.

(And yes, life most often IS slow -- at least real life. I get a bit weary of those that feel everything has to be "hold on to your hats because this action-packed, thrill every second, page turner is going to set your hair on fire!")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books