Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 04:58 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,536,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Unfortunately, as can happen with audiobooks, this narrator has absolutely the worst voices for all the characters. I don't understand it, as he has a normal, nice voice that is fine except when his characters talk, then all the voices are loud and grating - it actually hurts my ears! But I'm hooked by the story, so I will suffer through it.
I was listening to a series (and had listened to several of the series) when I noticed that the reader's tongue was sticking to the top of her mouth so every so often I would hear this sort of sucking, clicking sound. It went on through the last third of the story and I was so angry for her ruining it by not just getting a darned drink of water that I wrote the publisher a flame letter. (Come to think of it, I never did get a reply. ) That was the end of that series.

It's funny to think how much it mattered to me, now, but at the time I could've hit her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 09:31 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,179,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I was listening to a series (and had listened to several of the series) when I noticed that the reader's tongue was sticking to the top of her mouth so every so often I would hear this sort of sucking, clicking sound. It went on through the last third of the story and I was so angry for her ruining it by not just getting a darned drink of water that I wrote the publisher a flame letter. (Come to think of it, I never did get a reply. ) That was the end of that series.

It's funny to think how much it mattered to me, now, but at the time I could've hit her.
Tooooo funny. Or not. I would have written a letter too. I haven't yet, but with this latest one, I may have no choice, it's driving me nutso.

Have you ever had a narrator with a lisp? I have, a couple of times, and I just have to wonder how they ever become narrators?!? Crazy.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:35 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,365,966 times
I've been in a reading slump. When I get like that I read so.... slowly. I finally finished Gone Girl and hated the ending. Really?

Same here...I tried reading Crossing to Safety and I just couldn't get into it.

I started Outlander last night. The female character has spunk and I like that. I'll see where it goes.

I am not a literary reader, lol. I like to read for pure entertainment, fun and enjoyment. I think it's the same way my DH is with TV. He wants fun and comedy with action but skip the drama

I am off to the library today to drop off most of my books and a platter of holiday cookies. My DH and I will be on the road soon and I will be swapping books at the campgrounds we go to. I hope I find some good ones this year.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,994,313 times
Have you ever read a book that's just so far-fetched -- really? the father of the accused is running around with the lawyer, following up on conspiracy theories? -- that you just *know* that this is not your kind of book, that you should just give up, but you're 55% in and you kind of, sort of really want to know how the damn thing turns out?

Yeah?

Yeah. That's where I'm at with The Good Father.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,536,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Have you ever read a book that's just so far-fetched ... you just *know* that this is not your kind of book, that you should just give up, but you're 55% in and you kind of, sort of really want to know how the damn thing turns out?

Yeah? Yeah. That's where I'm at with The Good Father.
Yeah -- The things we do to ourselves just to read. I recall reading technical notes on engine repairs once.

Actually, if I recall correctly, it WAS rather well-written.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Yeah -- The things we do to ourselves just to read. I recall reading technical notes on engine repairs once.

Actually, if I recall correctly, it WAS rather well-written.
But! BUT! I have other books to read; other books that I'm really looking forward to reading. I just somehow have the need to find out what happens here. Half my brain needs to know how this one ends, but the other half is cataloging my "to read" list in order of desire.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:33 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,054,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oy! I really shouldn't be trying to form cogent thoughts so early in the morning. I do know that she lived. I followed her story and still do. I shouldn't be typing before my first sip of coffee.
oy vay your jewish granny side is coming out LOL ....

Old 11-26-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
oy vay your jewish granny side is coming out LOL ....
Exactly! I'm not a granny, but I remember many of the Yiddish words and phrases that my Bubby would say. My husband loves it! (drip, drip -- the sound of sarcasm.) He says that between my Yiddish and all the knick-knacks around the house, it's like he's living with his grandmother. (It doesn't help that I go to bed at 9 PM either.)

Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,365,966 times
Some books are like that. Not really god enough but you just have to read the end. I vote for Cliff Notes for them

Dawn-My DH calls me the neighborhood Yenta, lol. I talk to everyone.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:46 AM

Lisa, take it as a compliment! I do! I also talk to everyone. Nobody is exempt. That's why when I walk into my nearest grocery store, all the cashiers wave at me and say "hi." They don't know my name, but they know that one of them is going to get involved in a chat soon.

That cartoon, by the way... that's me. I hope, actually, that it's all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books