Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
In the defense of the ending of Gone Girl, if you look at it as a metaphor for all (or most) relationships, it makes a whole lot of sense. I don't want to spoil the ending for others, so I'm being vague.

Spoiler

But aren't we all engaged in some sort of silent standoff, with the tacit agreement not to kill each other? Don't we all just swallow a lot of stuff and act happy with a relationship even when we aren't? Doesn't the happy act become real to us after a while?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Analyzed like the mental health professional you are!

My complaint was that the book seemed so well constructed for about the first 3/4, but then felt rushed and extremely implausible toward the end. Like the author started with a great premise but then just couldn't decide how to end it.
I'm still unsure about the ending. When I read it, I flipped the page, expecting more. I figured that this couldn't be the end. So, I was disappointed. Then I realized that I was probably disappointed because it didn't end the way I expected it to finish. Not that I had an ending in mind; I just expected something more. So I remain unsure -- was it the ending that I didn't like or is it because I expected something different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 09:52 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
I sort of look at Gone Girl as a new twist on the 80s movie The War of the Roses.
Spoiler
I also saw that movie as a metaphor for relationships and how they deteriorate into a battle. In that movie, the couple died at the end, which was also kind of a let-down, if you were following the story as a metaphor and not as two people lterally trying to kill each other.
I see Gone Girl as "what would have happened if the couple lived?" They would grit their teeth, smile, and focus on what it takes to survive, while always watching the spouse/enemy for signs of danger.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-26-2012 at 11:48 AM..

Old 11-26-2012, 11:57 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
I think there is also something to the author manipulating the reader. She leads us, leads us, leads us, then drops us on our faces. I think it was all intentional, not just a half-assed "I'd better tie up this book and get it out" thing.
Perhaps you're just being more generous with the author than I am. Whether intentional or not, I didn't appreciate being dropped on my face!

Old 11-26-2012, 11:58 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Quote:
I sort of look at Gone Girl as a new twist on the 80s movie The War of the Roses.
Spoiler
I also saw that movie as a metaphor for relationships and how they deteriorate into a battle. In that movie, the couple died at the end, which was also kind of a let-down, if you were following the story as a metaphor and not as two people lterally trying to kill each other.
I see Gone Girl as "what would have happened if the couple lived?" They would grit their teeth, smile, and focus on what it takes to survive, while always watching the spouse/enemy for signs of danger.

I liked that movie, lol.

All I can say is I am very thankful my marriage is nothing like either of those

Old 11-26-2012, 02:18 PM

I gave up on The Good Father. Life's too short for this. I might start on The Healing by Jonathan Odell later. I was 11th on my local library's Kindle waiting list, but it was available at Boston Public Library, so I've got it in my grubby paws.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I gave up on The Good Father. Life's too short for this. I might start on The Healing by Jonathan Odell later. I was 11th on my local library's Kindle waiting list, but it was available at Boston Public Library, so I've got it in my grubby paws.
Well wash those hands!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Well wash those hands!
Artie licked 'em clean!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
So true...there are too many good books out there to waste time on one you don't enjoy.

I hope you like the new one. It looks good.

Have you read The Good Dream by Donna VanLiere? That one also looks good.

I will have to wait until next year for books like these.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:15 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I will have to wait until next year for books like these.
Girlfriend, GET YOURSELF a KINDLE. You can download books from your library. It's great. I look at the library offerings before I even THINK about their bound books. You aren't taking that treadmill on the road, are you?

Dawn is the Kindle wizard, she can walk you through all the angles of using them, but I doubt you would even need help.

Today is Cyber Monday -- great deals out there.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post

Have you read The Good Dream by Donna VanLiere? That one also looks good.
I had never heard of it, but it does look good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books