Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 10:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm certainly plowing through my "to read" list at a rapid pace. Sadly, I'm getting to 15 or 20 percent of each book, deeming it ridiculous, and removing it from my Kindle.

I don't know what I'm going to read next. I'm afraid it's doomed, no matter which book I choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I've been struggling with my two present fascinations: knitting, and reading "East of Eden." (Thank you, Dawn, for goading me into it -- I am LOVING this book.) I love the way Steinbeck is peeling away the layers of the characters' personalities and revealing that even Cathy/Kate can be someone that one can feel compassion towards -- even she who was painted with such a vile brush that I thought she must be Satan incarnate at the start!

Yes, now that I am more than 60% through it, I am already wondering which of his others still unread I want to read -- but have already promised myself that I WILL finish the Steig Larrson (interrupted by Steinbeck), first.

And the miracle is that Bigun may yet get his sweater for Christmas -- if I get off this magic box and go knit!

Merry Christmas, again, All my reading friends.
You're welcome! I'm glad that you're liking it.

I have a copy of The Winter of Our Discontent. I had tried to read it because someone on this forum reads it every year and loves it and also because a few other people have told me it's dark, but it's terrific. I had started it when I got it (in paper!!!), but the dialogue was old-fashioned (duh! it was written in 1961) and I felt disenchanted. But if you'd like to read it -- really together this time, provided the timing is right and we're both between books -- I'd be happy to give it another go.

Give Bigun a smooch for me.

And enjoy your holiday. Happy 2013 to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 01:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I know I'm always about two years behind the rest of you voracious readers, but I'm reading Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese and absolutely love it. An intriguing story with beautiful writing. What more can a reader want?
I wish more people would discover that amazing book. A highlight of my reading life. Possibly THE best novel lI've read that was written in the past 17 years. (17, so as not to conflict with Bernhard Schlink's "The Reader").

Both, interestingly, written by practicing professionals -- a doctor and a lawyer.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-25-2012 at 01:57 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 06:56 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I wish more people would discover that amazing book. A highlight of my reading life. Possibly THE best novel lI've read that was written in the past 17 years. (17, so as not to conflict with Bernhard Schlink's "The Reader").

Both, interestingly, written by practicing professionals -- a doctor and a lawyer.
I have Cutting For Stone on my bookshelf based on your recommendation. I plan to read it eventually, but I have to be in the mood for a book. I very frequently pick up a book and read a page or two and decide it's not what I want to read right now, so it gets set aside. I even have times where I choose a book based on font size.

Merry Christmas, everyone!!!!

I am STILL reading Gone Girl, but I am so happy to report I passed the 50% mark! I do believe I am at 51%. lol!! Maybe after next week's holiday, I'll find a little more time to read again.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:00 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,128,844 times
Loved this article on Salon:

Five books I bailed on in 2012 - Salon.com

I always feel so badly when I don't get through a book the critics raved over. And here a book critic who reads for a living readily admits that he doesn't "get" certain books. Loved that he didn't love Quiet by Susan Cain. He wrote that eh didn't find it particularly scintillating or well-written. I had the same reaction. As an introvert, I wanted to like it----but she didn't have that much to say. It probably should have been just an essay rather than a book.

I do want to say that you people are great here. I'm going to post more. You never seem judgmental about people's likes and dislikes.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Loved this article on Salon:

Five books I bailed on in 2012 - Salon.com

I always feel so badly when I don't get through a book the critics raved over. And here a book critic who reads for a living readily admits that he doesn't "get" certain books. Loved that he didn't love Quiet by Susan Cain. He wrote that eh didn't find it particularly scintillating or well-written. I had the same reaction. As an introvert, I wanted to like it----but she didn't have that much to say. It probably should have been just an essay rather than a book.

I do want to say that you people are great here. I'm going to post more. You never seem judgmental about people's likes and dislikes.
Thanks for posting that article. I tried to read The Light Between Oceans. The reviews were incredible. The book? Quite the opposite, in my opinion. I don't think I even got to the halfway point. It was so far-fetched, so much like a soap opera, so very unlike anything that I enjoy reading. Feh! Poo!

Yes, yes, come post more! (You'll offset the times that I write four posts in a row, telling which book I've bailed on now. Ha!)

As for being judgmental, I'm so happy when someone reads, I don't care what they're reading, just that they read and enjoy whatever it is. The best part is learning of new titles that you'd likely never hear of otherwise.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:11 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
I finally finished Too Big To Fail about the financial meltdown of 2008. So I now have a better understanding of what happened but still don't know why the Wall Street gangs were so foolish as to create the kinds of financial deals that led to this crisis. All I can figure is simple greed.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
As for being judgmental, I'm so happy when someone reads, I don't care what they're reading, just that they read and enjoy whatever it is. The best part is learning of new titles that you'd likely never hear of otherwise.
I think all of us feel the same way, but you were so articulate in saying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I finally finished Too Big To Fail about the financial meltdown of 2008. So I now have a better understanding of what happened but still don't know why the Wall Street gangs were so foolish as to create the kinds of financial deals that led to this crisis. All I can figure is simple greed.
I agree Zugor. Greed is at the base of all human suffering, I think. All the more reason people should spend more time reading, and less time grabbing.

I am so glad to be putting away Christmas today. I finished Big's sweater yesterday, and now all I have before me is Steinbeck's "E of E" and wrapping up the old year to be ready for the new.

Ahhhh....

Old 12-26-2012, 08:38 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
I had started a book, about 47 pages and my son swiped it right off my shelf...brat.
He returned it yesterday so I will just start it again..In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson

Old 12-26-2012, 08:47 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I had started a book, about 47 pages and my son swiped it right off my shelf...brat.
He returned it yesterday so I will just start it again..In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson
So.. did he say what he thought of it?

Old 12-26-2012, 08:49 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,800,839 times
Default A few

Right now, The Art of War for Women, and soon I will be reading, The Four Quadrants of Power, and will possibly bust out one of my communications school books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books