Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 05:11 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

Later tonight (if I can keep my eyes open) or tomorrow, I'm going to start the memoir A Thousand Days in Venice: An Unexpected Romance.
I started it. I got to about 10% or a bit more and decided that that was the end for me. Feh!

I don't know what I'll start next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
I don't know what I'll start next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSass View Post
I finished Paradise by Toni Morrison last week. Has anyone read it? I really need to know what you got out of it. The ending totally threw me for a loop. Somebody pls say you read this book....
This looks like a job for SUPER Dawn!

Old 03-17-2013, 10:18 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
This looks like a job for SUPER Dawn!
Oh, no, no. I'm not a Toni Morrison fan at all. I had tried to read a few of her books and, pfffft, I just couldn't make it through to the end. That said, I have The Bluest Eye on my "to read" list as a second try. That that that that said, I doubt that I'll ever get to it.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:01 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
reading: Thief in the Night by: William Sears

Old 03-17-2013, 03:10 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
I am just starting A Bride in the Bargain by Deeanne Gist. I actually went to my library and got it along with The Silent Girl by Tess Gerritsen. Interestingly, I was thinking about people's comments on libraries and how not as many people use them and all that. Today our library was a hopping place! It was awesome! Super excited about both books, which is great considering I've been struggling to find something to read for so long. I also saw the next book in Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli and Isles series, but that one was a 7-day rental, and there's no way I could read all 3 books this week. (I specifically went for the Gist book so I'm starting with that one as I was really excited to read it.)

Old 03-17-2013, 03:13 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
I just got "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal", by Christopher Moore. I love Christopher Moore; his books are beautifully written, well-researched and absolutely hysterical.
"Island of the Sequined Love Nun" was one of the funniest things I've ever read. This book about cargo cults kept me in stiches.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 03-17-2013 at 04:02 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 03:13 PM

361 posts, read 748,152 times
The Complere Guide to Jewish Sports Heroes

Old 03-17-2013, 03:46 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Oh, no, no. I'm not a Toni Morrison fan at all. I had tried to read a few of her books and, pfffft, I just couldn't make it through to the end. That said, I have The Bluest Eye on my "to read" list as a second try. That that that that said, I doubt that I'll ever get to it.
I haven't read Morrison since reading "Beloved" which was at least thirty years ago, so obviously I wasn't compelled to read everything I could find afterward, but I seem to recall liking her handling of the story. I am thinking I need to try her again, so maybe it MY job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I was thinking about people's comments on libraries and how not as many people use them and all that. Today our library was a hopping place! It was awesome!
I switched to libraries almost two decades ago; after carting boxes of unread books to book dealers on more than one occasion, I concluded that I needed to put my funds to better returns.

I am certain I've read Tess Gerritsen before, but for the life of me I cannot figure out which one, even after looking at a list of her works. You'll have to tell more when you've finished -- please?

I started listening the the first of Roberston Davies Cornish Trilogy this afternoon while working on a jigsaw puzzle. I read the second book in the late nineties, and the last of the three quite some time later. I suppose it's time to actually read the first. I am a huge fan of Davies.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:48 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,620 times
I'm reading Confessions of a Prairie ***** by Alison Arngrim,,,,,,,,great book, if you love Little House on the Prairie

Old 03-17-2013, 03:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
I switched to libraries almost two decades ago; after carting boxes of unread books to book dealers on more than one occasion, I concluded that I needed to put my funds to better returns.
I leave my books at laundromats. People pick them up and take them home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books