Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,269,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I just finished Son and now have my husband reading. Just love love those books! Of course Giver is the best. Did you know they're making a movie of the Giver.
I read The Giver when my goddaughter had to read it in jr. high. That is when I realized that I still loved YA books. What an exceptional book. I didn' realize there were others in the series. Oh, goodie.

One that she read around that time was The Stinky Cheese Man. It's usually in the YA section and looks a bit like a Mother Goose book. BUT, it is hysterical for adults. I give copies to my friends quite often. It takes a lot of fairy tales and mixes them up....for instance, Henny Penny yelling at Hansel and Gretel that the sky is falling. It's one of those books that kids enjoy but I believe the target audience to be adults with senses of humor. It's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,361,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
No, I did not know that. I'm unsure how I feel about it. Sort of like there is no way they can even come close to making a movie as good as the book. Hmmmmmm.
I've been hearing for years that there was going to be a movie made from The Giver, and its never happened. I think it's wishful thinking. Lois Lowry on Jeff Bridges' 'Giver' movie | Inside Movies | EW.com

Old 05-02-2013, 05:14 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,335,054 times
Quote:
I'm listening to Son by Lois Lowry. I am just loving the whole Giver Quartet.
Thank you for that suggestion. I have never read any of those.

ketabcha-Hmm...The Stinky Cheese Man will also go on my list. My local head librarian likes YA books and she just recommended Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool. I will be starting that today.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:06 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,340,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I've been hearing for years that there was going to be a movie made from The Giver, and its never happened. I think it's wishful thinking. Lois Lowry on Jeff Bridges' 'Giver' movie | Inside Movies | EW.com
Thank you!!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:08 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,340,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thank you for that suggestion. I have never read any of those.
I hope you enjoy!

Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,318,841 times
Well, today I'm diving into Harry Potter. My middle kid's language arts class is dipping their toes into literary symbolism this last month of school, so I thought I'd help her along by reviewing a familiar series. There's a scene in the fifth book in which a very forlorn Harry is bullied by his cousin, Dudley, at a playground. Harry and Dudley run into a tunnel where they are attacked by dementors. It's a classic birth sequence with elements of a Native American ordeal, indicating a transition from childhood to adulthood, and I think it would be a great way to introduce the topic. If all goes well, she'll be more than prepared to discuss the giant spectacles when her class reads The Great Gatsby next year.

Along the same lines, I'm also re-reading How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas Foster and an oldie, but goodie, How to Read a Book by Mortimer Adler. And I'm still working my way through Rutherford's New York. Really enjoying it!

Last edited by randomparent; 05-02-2013 at 02:55 PM..

Old 05-02-2013, 06:19 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,521,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I am barely into The Bean Trees and I'm enjoying it so much.
Oh GOOD. It's always nice when someone else likes a book I liked.

Quote:
Don't forget to read Pigs in Heaven after The Bean Trees.
Good to know. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I just started Suspect by Robert Crais. So far I am really enjoying it. Robert Crais is one of my go to authors. His usual books and characters are similar to the Jack Reacher books. This one is different but very good about a K-9 dog who lost her partner through a tragic event and has a new partner who also lost his old partner. They help each other heal while solving a case.
DH reads both of those authors, and I have the Jack Reacher series #1-6 reserved at the library, but they haven't gotten to me, yet. (kindle)

Are you home from traveling, now, YL?

I just finished reading "The Dragon Man" (Inspector Challis #1), by Garry Disher. Aside from the printer's errors, or typos, it was a very good read. I thought the characters were more substantial than one usually sees in mysteries -- he shows their foibles along with their strengths. There were no gross graphical scenes, which make me sick. It's set in Australia, so there was some slang terms I didn't understand -- or it could've been typos! (There were really a LOT of typos. )

Anyway, NOW, I am starting one recommended by my sister in Key West, written by a friend of hers: "An Appetite for Murder, by Lucy Burdette. It's a fun little cozy that uses real places and people (with their permission) in the Keys. It should be a fun weekend read.

And, since we're so close and I probably won't be here again for awhile -- have a nice weekend!

Old 05-03-2013, 11:37 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,772,693 times
Finished Ron Currie Jr's "Everything Matters!", and quite liked it. I recommend it, with the caution that in the middle, you might become disaffected with the drift. But stay with it, Currie rights the ship nicely. It's one of the few books I've read in which I really liked the ending, or in fact even cared all that much how it ended, and it didn't just drag on when it should have ended, as so many books do.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:23 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,947,527 times
Riding Fury Home by Chana Wilson. Maybe the 15th book's the charm and I'll finish this one?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:14 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,521,006 times
Just finished Neil Shubin's "The Universe Within." WOW. He's a great writer whose topic happens to be science -- all encompassing, science. His writing makes his topic so accessible that I wish everyone would read it, just to be awakened to the miracle of our being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books