Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, this is embarrassing. I had to look it up online because I couldn't remember a thing about it. And having looked it up, it sounds vaguely familiar. I think I enjoyed it. I will check my bookshelves later and see if it is one of the books I kept or one of the ones I gave away and see if paging through it rings more bells for me. If I thought it was a hideously awful book, I think I would have remembered it more. It is the books that are okay, entertaining, but not great that don't leave much of an impression on me. But it was probably a nice read.
Absolutely no reason to be embarrassed. When friends would hunt through my bookshelves I often could remember "Oh, that was good" but not be able to tell them much about the storyline.

When it comes to popular fiction I would not want to admit how many duplicates of used paperbacks I end up with because I've forgotten that I read it and find a copy in the thrift store. I can be 2/3 of the way through it before some small detail makes me realize that I've read it at some time in the past.

Recently, while sick, I did a re-read of a bunch of books by John Lescroart and while the characters are familiar I simply could not remember 'who done it' for any of them. They had me missing some things about life in the Bay Area, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
On a poetry kick - Complete Poems of Robert Frost, Leaves of Grass (1855 version) Walt Whitman. There are two versions of Leaves of Grass, the original version and the so-called deathbed version. The original version is shorter and, IMO, cleaner.

A friend gave me Aldo Leopold's A Sand County Almanac, which I will start after.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post

When it comes to popular fiction I would not want to admit how many duplicates of used paperbacks I end up with because I've forgotten that I read it and find a copy in the thrift store. I can be 2/3 of the way through it before some small detail makes me realize that I've read it at some time in the past.
It's even more embarrassing with movies. My wife will tell me that we already saw a movie, and I'll say No, you must have seen it when I wasn't there, then 3/4 of the way through the picture, I'll see some token scene and realize that Yes, I already saw that movie. Which, of course, I would never admt.

Even better was the time we sat up and watched three straight movies on cable, then went to bed and laughed ourselves silly trying to remember any detail at all about what the first movie was.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:17 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Absolutely no reason to be embarrassed. When friends would hunt through my bookshelves I often could remember "Oh, that was good" but not be able to tell them much about the storyline.

Recently, while sick, I did a re-read of a bunch of books by John Lescroart and while the characters are familiar I simply could not remember 'who done it' for any of them. They had me missing some things about life in the Bay Area, that's for sure.
LOL. I've been purging my books again and it surprises me with the number of duplicates I have.

There have only been two duplicates that I bought on purpose....wait, make that three.
I have friends who never buy books and when I am raving about a book they want to borrow it and pass it around to the group. Some books I don't want to loan out for fear that I won't get them back. I bought duplicates of The Kite Runner. Actually, I think I bought 4 of them because I found the hardbacks for $5.00. Also, I have two sets of the complete Harry Potter series.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:19 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,026 times
After the Rain by Karen White.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:24 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Burr, by Vidal. A seriously entertaining and subversive look at the Republic's earliest days.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:08 AM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Currently reading "To Play The Fox" by Frank Barnard. It is a novel about fighter pilots during World War II.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:54 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Vacation brought a lot of free time I used to finish and start some new books.

As I already mentioned I wasn't astonished by "16 Lighthouse Road" by Debbie Macomber. It was okay and a quick read but I probably won't get the following books of this series.

I also read "The name of this book is secret" a fantasy novel for young readers. It was okay but there are way better books for this target group out there.

Last week I started "The Spa Decameron" by Fay Weldon which is really good so far. I'm already half way through and it's a good read.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Vacation brought a lot of free time I used to finish and start some new books.

As I already mentioned I wasn't astonished by "16 Lighthouse Road" by Debbie Macomber. It was okay and a quick read but I probably won't get the following books of this series.

I also read "The name of this book is secret" a fantasy novel for young readers. It was okay but there are way better books for this target group out there.

Last week I started "The Spa Decameron" by Fay Weldon which is really good so far. I'm already half way through and it's a good read.
Funny how a little post can trigger thoughts...

1. Debbie Macomber is a good cozy writer, but a little cozy (IMO) goes a very long way -- like a saccharine dessert. I don't need more than one to push myself away from the table!

That said, I just finished Lucy Burdette's "An Appetite for Murder," and while it was a nice little cozy read, I didn't feel the need to rush out to reserve its sequel. Oddly, I did reserve the author's OTHER series first, under her real name: Roberta Isleib. (I've also tried a few of Macomber's series' samples.)

2. The title "The Spa Decameron" made me realize I didn't actually know the definition of a "decameron" and looked it up on M-W.com only to find it isn't listed as an actual word, but Wikipedia describes it as one devised by Boccaccio: "... combines two Greek words, Greek: δέκα, déka ("ten") and Greek: ἡμέρα, hēméra ("day"), to form a term that means "ten-day [event]".[1] Ten days is the time period in which the characters of the frame story tell their tales. It is important to remember that the correct pronunciation requires the accent on the last syllable, so Decameròn."
So, is the story about ten days at the Spa, or 100 tales told by ten people of their experiences at a Spa?

Sorry for the long post, but the thoughts amused me.

Now, I am reading "The Patron Saint of Liars," by Ann Patchett. I'm not very far along, but so far it has my interest.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Now, I am reading "The Patron Saint of Liars," by Ann Patchett. I'm not very far along, but so far it has my interest.
I read that a bazillion years ago but I remember that I loved it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books