Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 03:09 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oh my gosh, how did you know???
Oh we have our ways LOL ....just have a great day !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 04:08 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Oh we have our ways LOL ....just have a great day !!!!
Ah! The Dogs forum! Sneaky monkey!

Old 05-17-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Ah! The Dogs forum! Sneaky monkey!
Oh now I have a new nickname : Sneaky Monkey I love it as she laughs her evil laugh LOL

Old 05-17-2013, 04:15 PM

okay back to reading I m picking up Out of the easy on Monday . I really enjoy this authors writing . thanks to whoever reccomended it thanks all .

Old 05-17-2013, 06:52 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I finally finished the never-ending Freda Warrington book I read. I think that I might try the paperback version of Wool by Howey now. I don't think I can get into a new book. My concentration is sorely lacking.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:59 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,113 times
After I finish Democracy in America I'm going to start the rather ambitious task of reading In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past by Marcel Proust. Clocking in at about 1,200,000 words, it holds the world record for longest novel.

If the Wikipedia list is correct, the longest book I've read is War and Peace. I've also read Les Misérables, Remembrance Rock, and part of Atlas Shrugged, but I find that particular book too revolting to finish.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
After I finish Democracy in America I'm going to start the rather ambitious task of reading In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past by Marcel Proust. Clocking in at about 1,200,000 words, it holds the world record for longest novel.

If the Wikipedia list is correct, the longest book I've read is War and Peace. I've also read Les Misérables, Remembrance Rock, and part of Atlas Shrugged, but I find that particular book too revolting to finish.
I have the two volume set of Proust's Remembrance of Things Past, and once read both "Swans' Way" and "Within a Budding Grove." I started into "The Guermantes Way" and realized I no longer had a sense of what the work was about. I felt like Alice in Wonderland, having stepped through the looking glass and lost my orientation. I put the volume back into the set and it has remained there. The second volume has remained unopened. I don't really know why I hold onto it.

If you finish it, let me know what you think. If you rave about it, perhaps I will try it again.

I returned "Ghost Writer," by Rene Gutteridge shortly after starting it. I thought the writing was awful. I see now that she's written other works. Someone even gave her "Listen" five stars. That is an earlier work, and I thought "Ghost Writer" read like a first time author, self-published. Way, way too much back story -- and the characters were not in the least believable. Eh, what do I know? She's probably a Pulitzer candidate.

Anyway, I am back to reading "The Patron Saint of Liars" and I've decided to just read it and get it over with. It IS well written, it's only uncomfortable subject matter for me.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 PM

I just finished Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman. Wow! What a gorgeous book. What a gorgeous love story. (It's not for you, though, if you're against same-sex love stories, by the way.) The writing is magical. Just perfect.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:25 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
Japanese Homes And Their Surroundings by Edward S. Morse. For some reason lately I've been fascinated by older Japanese architecture. But I'm not talking about the grand temples or anything, but more the run-of-the-mill, utilitarian houses, especially the larger old rural homes. So I was ecstatic to come across this book in one of my local used bookstores. It can also be found on Google books, though I prefer a physical copy:

Japanese Homes and Their Surroundings - Edward Sylvester Morse - Google Books

Old 05-19-2013, 06:13 PM

I just started All About Lulu by Jonathan Evison. My gosh, this man's such a talented writer. He was a charming way with words and turns of phrasing. Even if I don't end up liking the story, I'm going to enjoy the journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books