Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times

Advertisements

Just finished A Pledge of Silence by Flora Solomon it tells the story of army nurses trapped in Manila when it fell to Japan and becoming POW's to the Japanese in Santo Tomas prison camp.

http://apledgeofsilence.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
1984, I'm trying to read more classics and older books

Old 05-21-2013, 01:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I am currently reading Hate Mail From Cheerleaders: And Other Adventures in the Life of Reilly by Rick Reilly.

I am howling with laughter. Reilly has been a columnist for Sports Illustrated and this is a compilation of many columns. It is absolutely hysterical. It is also very uplifting. What a delight this book is.
I love Rick Reilly! I'll have to check this out!

Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just finished A Pledge of Silence by Flora Solomon it tells the story of army nurses trapped in Manila when it fell to Japan and becoming POW's to the Japanese in Santo Tomas prison camp.

A Historical WWII Novel ~ by Flora J. Solomon ~ A Pledge of Silence
Thanks for mentioning this book, njkate. Can't wait to read it.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:37 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Well the road trip is coming to an end, and I did finish The Coffee Trader (don't get too impressed- I think I had about 80 to 100 pages left and the road trip has been abotu 10 days).I think had I read it in a less interrupted fashion I would have been more taken with it for the history etc, but the scheming in it kind of escaped me. Nevertheless it was a pretty good book but not to die for so to speak. It takes place in Amsterdam with the Spanish Portuguese refugees from the inquisition. The time period is fascinating to me so I enjoyed that.
Now I just started Parnassus on Wheels thanks to this forum which does seem delightful and cozy so I am thrilled about that. And, the fact that it is a smaller booke might make me feel a bit more accomplished.

I definitely will be looking into the Too Jewish one that was menioned a few pages ago, aas well a new one I learned of called Happy Money by Dunn and Norton]. I learned of it in a coursera course (which you all should check out- it's free, it's legit- just check out coursera.org) which was a DUke University course online with videos to watch.
I keep hoping to get back to reading ways.
Ketabcha I am so amazed with how you manage to read everything. That other one mentioned about the cheerleading sounded good as well. I wish I could keep reading !!

Old 05-22-2013, 07:46 AM

I am reading Khalid Hosseini's new book And The Mountains Echoed.

This one is going to be stunning. It's beautifully written and I would expect nothing less from Hosseini who is an Afghan-American medical doctor who also has the soul of a poet and the ability to write great books. Plus, I'm becoming acquainted with some more of the culture of the country.

I just love this stuff.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Ketabcha I am so amazed with how you manage to read everything. That other one mentioned about the cheerleading sounded good as well. I wish I could keep reading !!
What a nice compliment. Thank you, Mayvenne.

Please do read Reilly's book Hate Mail from Cheerleaders..... It is one of the most hilarious, touching and fun books I have ever read. It's a fast read and the author is just so darn humorous. It's definitely good for the soul.

Oh, BTW, I am retired and have lots of time to read. It's heaven without having to die first. LOL

Old 05-22-2013, 08:03 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I am reading Khalid Hosseini's new book And The Mountains Echoed.

This one is going to be stunning. It's beautifully written and I would expect nothing less from Hosseini who is an Afghan-American medical doctor who also has the soul of a poet and the ability to write great books. Plus, I'm becoming acquainted with some more of the culture of the country.

I just love this stuff.
It's been on my "to read" list for a few months, and I know that it just came out. I'm glad to hear that it's a good one. I have a long backlog to clean up (that is, READ) first, though.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:12 AM

249 posts, read 473,399 times
I am reading 4 different books, one for each mood
Seven thunders
game of thrones
the skin map
heaven's night

Old 05-22-2013, 05:44 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

A Historical WWII Novel ~ by Flora J. Solomon ~ A Pledge of Silence
I just downloaded it after reading the reviews it sounds really good, as retired nurse the history of nursing during combat has always interested me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books