Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 11:31 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,370,794 times

Advertisements

I'm reading Stephen Kings new book, Joyland. I'm about 3/4 into it, and I'm really struggling to finish it. It's incredibly boring to me, although his great storytelling is what keeps me reading. I tried to read the new book by his son, Joe Hill, NOS4A2, and couldn't finish it. His other son, Owen King also has a new book out, and it looks good. The name of it is Double Feature. Has anyone read these books? What did you think of them?

I did just finish a book that was pretty good though. It was Mrs. Kimble. It was good, but the last sentence in the book kinda threw me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 11:39 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,370,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just finished The Silver Star by Jeanette Walls. What a great book and a fast read. I loved it. I did not want it to be over. I've felt that way about every single book Walls has written.

Thanks for alerting us to the fact that it was out, DawnMTL.
I'm on the waiting list for this and And the Mountains Echoed.

Ketabcha, I was reading one of your posts, and I said "She is brilliant, then I got to your last paragraph where you posted: "I am not brilliant." lols. I thought that was pretty funny.

Has anyone read The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout? That's going on my "to read" list.

Last edited by Jess5; 06-15-2013 at 12:03 AM..

Old 06-14-2013, 11:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Finished Jess Walter's "Beautiful Ruins", and liked it a lot. Walter is a highly variable writer, and one book is not an indicator of what his next is like. I won't spoil it with any comments, except to say that it a very sensitively-written book throughout.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:59 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post

Ketabcha, I was reading one of your posts, and I said "She is brilliant, then I got to your last paragraph where you posted: "I am not brilliant." lols. I thought that was pretty funny.

Has anyone read The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout? That's going on my "to read" list.
Hi Jess5. Long time no see.

The Burgess Boys is wonderful, IMO. I hated for that book to end. You will like it.

You will also like And the Mountains Echoed. I cried a lot in that book because it is about the Afghan diaspora and I have a lot of Afghan friends who had to leave everything behind, including relatives, to get out of the country when the Soviets invaded. Their stories break my heart but they are happy to be in the US as citizens. They all love Ronald Reagan because he opened the doors to allow them in. I do not and did not love Ronald Reagan....but who cares? ahahahaha. I always cry while reading Hosseini's books because the guy manages to touch a place in my heart with everything he writes.

I think you will LOVE The Silver Star. I sure did and I have an idea of what kind of fictional characters appeal to you. You are going to like Bean.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:42 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
I forgot to go the library to get a new book to read, so I rummaged around the house for something for an hour's bedtime reading, and found R. Scott Bakker's "Neuropath". I was amazed that I could read 60 pages so quickly, I usually get through only about 20-30 pages an hour of my usual fiction selections. He probably wrote it in a hurry, too, it's pretty basic writing, but insightful, at least to me, since I rarely read anything that smacks of sci-fi.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:31 PM

563 posts, read 1,269,771 times
Just finished reading Ace Frehley-No Regrets.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:23 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:

I started the Burgess Boys but didn't have time to finish due to a family emergency. I've reordered. It didn't grab me like Olive Kitteridge, but I think it's worth reading.

Ketabcha, thanks for the critique on The Woman Upstairs I can see how lots of women can relate to this book. It's on hold. I read the first chapter of The Emporer's Children and it didn't click for some reason.

I'm reading All That Is by James Salter. So far, l like his writing style. I have in hand The Humanity Project by Jean Thompson. I really enjoyed her first book The Year We Left Home.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:24 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:

I started the Burgess Boys but didn't have time to finish due to a family emergency. I've reordered. It didn't grab me like Olive Kitteridge, but I think it's worth reading.

Ketabcha, thanks for the critique on The Woman Upstairs I can see how lots of women can relate to this book although I just read the kindle sample. It's on hold. I read the first chapter of The Emporer's Children and it didn't click for some reason.

I'm reading All That Is by James Salter. So far, l like his writing style. I have in hand The Humanity Project by Jean Thompson. I really enjoyed her first book The Year We Left Home.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:06 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
I just finished the nonfiction American Chick in Saudi Arabia by Jean Sasson. I've never read any of her books in the past. Sasson is a women's rights activist and has spent years in the Middle East trying her best to help women. It's a noble cause but I will also say that IMO she tends to be a bit too pushy in her endeavors. I'm probably being too political in this remark but I've always felt that one of the rudest things a person or country can do is march into another country and tell them they have it all wrong regarding religion, mores and culture. Then again, that is my opinion only.

So, I was not exactly tickled with the way Ms. Sasson tried to tell Saudi women what is wrong with the male dominated society. Several of those woman were educated in England and Switzerland. They experienced both sides of the veil.

However, I've mentioned how I like trivia and I learned a tasty tidbit in this book. Hold on to your seats. This one is HUGE:

After water, the favorite drink of Saudi Bedouin women is orange soda. I just know that one day someone will stop me on the street and ask me this question and I will know the answer.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Junk food, "the Merlot Murders" by Ellen Crosby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books