Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 09:10 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times

Advertisements

I'm about halfway through King Perry by Edmond Manning. Unlike just about anything else I've ever read and I can't wait to see how where else it goes and how it ends. A head's up--it contains graphic depictions of sex between two men. If you find the idea of that off-putting, this might not be a book you'd enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 09:22 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm about halfway through King Perry by Edmond Manning. Unlike just about anything else I've ever read and I can't wait to see how where else it goes and how it ends. A head's up--it contains graphic depictions of sex between two men. If you find the idea of that off-putting, this might not be a book you'd enjoy.
Oh god, the end... oh god... sigh... One of the best stories that I've ever read. Ever.

You're just in time for King Mai, coming out on the 15th.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I am currently reading - and enjoying - The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery.
I had the feeling that it was a very funny book in the original French, but was translated by someone with no sense of humor.

By the way, speaking of funny, I'm reading David Lodge's "Thinks", which is not a funny book, per se, but I ran into a part last night that made me laugh harder than anything since I first read Jerome's "Three Men in a Boat". An absolutely hysterical part where writing class students wrote about "What it's Like to be a Bat", in the style of a well-known author (one of them Irvine Welsh). It went on page after page, and I was sick with laughter.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-08-2013 at 10:22 AM..

Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I had the feeling that it was a very funny book in the original French, but was translated by someone with no sense of humor.
I think you are right! Parts of it are read-out-loud-funny which make the smarty-pants sections worth the effort.

"Poodles come in black or apricot. The apricot ones tend to be crabbier than the black ones, who on the other hand do not smell as nice. Though all poodles bark snappily at the slightest provocation, they are particularly inclined to do so when nothing at all is happening.'

Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You're sure it wasn't a hyperbolic remark like Ring Lardner's classic "Shut up", he explained.
Oh, I wish.

ETA: She also has "long black tresses." She "tosses" them. Nope, it isn't a romance. And it was more than ten bucks. Ten bucks for "tresses?"

Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Oh, I wish.

ETA: She also has "long black tresses." She "tosses" them. Nope, it isn't a romance. And it was more than ten bucks. Ten bucks for "tresses?"
At least they weren't chestnut or auburn. Those are the most annoying tresses of all.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:28 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
At least they weren't chestnut or auburn. Those are the most annoying tresses of all.
I haven't read enough to know if she has slightly slanted green eyes. But you would think she would, to go along with tossing her black tresses. You need to have an eye for the tresses to go over.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,527 times
I'm reading Deeper Than the Dead by Tammy Hoag.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:17 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think he used to be a good writer and then he got lazy. All his books sound exactly the same.
I guess he would not be the first to resort to formula writing.

I am totally loving "behind the beautiful forevers." After reading the first 10%, I realized I'd forgotten it was nonfiction, and went back to read the description to make sure I had not been mistaken. It reads like fiction -- fiction very well-written. I get lost in it.

According to the Author's Note, not only is it not fiction, but it results from following the lives of the persons depicted for FOUR years and repeated (endless) interviews, videographing, etc through a number of interpreters -- including members of the slum being followed. The Author's Note alone is fascinating.

Granted I am only now 13% into it, but already I am raving about how everyone should read this book.

Oh, and netwit -- you can return the book via the Manage Your Kindle interface on Amazon, but my library doesn't recognize the return. It may just be a glitch with my library.

Deb

Old 07-09-2013, 01:15 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I'm reading Morgan's Run: A Novel by Colleen McCullough.

Like her book The Thornbirds, this one is about Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books