Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 10:09 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,347,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I started reading Shirley Jones' autobiography which is cleverly titled Shirley Jones.

I like Hollywood bios. I've known since her marriage to Jack Cassidy that she could be very strong and firm. I'm finding out just how true that is.

The book is extremely well written (a writer helped her and gets credit on the cover, too). It is also a fast read and I have yet to encounter any pretentiousness (did I spell that correctly-too lazy to look it up).

Feeling like I have curled up on a sofa with a cup of hot tea is how this book allows me to feel. (ya' know what? I think that long sentence may not be grammatically correct.) It's just a chat session with Shirley, unadorned and right to the heart of things. In other words, I am settled in with this book. It's a good one.

She was on Fox and Friends this morning plugging it. "Shirley Partridge" is 79 years old, and still lovely. There's one Hollywood beauty who hasn't had, and refuses to have, cosmetic surgery.

I'll be looking for her book at our public libary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
NOW, I am intrigued -- just to see if it does the same to me.... hmmm, wonder if the library...
The whole message I got is: Some people do things in life that are so horrible that they cannot be fixed, apologized for, or forgotten, and they don't deserve any forgiveness.

I just wikipedia'd the book and yes, the plot seems to be exactly like the movie. I get p*ssed off enough at stuff in my daily life; no need to read a book that's just going to make me angry at the main character.

Spoiler
The main character committed this horrible act and went on to live a nice
life and live to a ripe old age, while other people's lives were totally
destroyed by her actions. I felt like the audience (and I guess, the reader) was
supposed to feel empathy for her, but I had none. She deserved to suffer
and live a terrible life, but she didn't.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:21 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,230 times
Ghost Stories of Pets and Animals

I always find ghost stories quite intriguing

Old 07-24-2013, 04:06 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
All contributions contribute.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:25 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I finished the autobiography of Shirley Jones.

Ya' know how sometimes you read a book that doesn't have parts that make you cry, is devoid of violence, and is comfortable? I run across books like that from time to time and this one fits the bill.
I'm not going to blubber on about it. I recommend it if you like bios/autobios. HEY! Wouldn't "autobio" be a totally cool screen name? Okay, never mind.

Read it if you would like to read a comfortable book by an optimist who loves life. It's guaranteed to give you warm fuzzies.........or, maybe not.

p.s. It is racy in parts. No lie. Heck, she is even racy in her promo interviews about the book. Jones is a very sexual woman and proudly talks about it. I have absolutely no problem with that. She is a neat lady.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:21 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I started Atonement once but didn't get very far. Can't exactly remember why I didn't like it though.

(Yes, I do recognize that this may be one of the most useless comments ever posted in this thread.)
Not a useless comment. I felt the same way about the book on the first try, but ended up liking it on the second. I still haven't finished Corrections.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I've just finished "Killing Kennedy" by Bill O'Reilly. An excellent read (especially interesting is the stuff about Marilyn Monroe).
I just read an article about the movie and Rob Lowe's thoughts on the book and O'Reilly. Rob will play JFK.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:27 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,344 times
I'm into A Feast For Crows (4th SoIAF book) now. I'll probably wind up putting it down for a while and picking something else up soon.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
I'm into A Feast For Crows (4th SoIAF book) now. I'll probably wind up putting it down for a while and picking something else up soon.
I finished A Feast For Crows and just picked up Dance with Dragons the last book. I'll need to put my weight glove on for this one. It's close to 1,000 pages so I'll be doing a lot of skimming.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished the autobiography of Shirley Jones.

p.s. It is racy in parts. No lie. Heck, she is even racy in her promo interviews about the book. Jones is a very sexual woman and proudly talks about it.
Ew. I don't think I need to know about her sex life. Now I can't get those images out of my head.
Now I feel all dirty...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books