Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 08:45 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's my turn to do "Pick of the Month" for teens (at the library where I work as a teen librarian), so I tried to find one that was current but not TOO well-known... ended up with In the After by Demitria Lunetta, which is a post-apocalyptic survival story. I'm about 2/3 of the way through, and really liking it so far!! Very gripping and fast-paced, as proven by the fact that I read ~250 pages in two days; and I'm not the fastest reader in the world, despite my profession and background.

In the After (In the After #1) by Demitria Lunetta - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
Thanks for mentioning this book, gizmo980. I downloaded it last night and can't put it down. It's refreshing and scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,087 times
Going beyond belief by Jim Miller.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:31 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Thanks for mentioning this book, gizmo980. I downloaded it last night and can't put it down. It's refreshing and scary.
Gizmo & Ketabcha...TY came to the forum looking for something...anything...to read. After reading the reviews and what both of you said, on my way to Amazon to download

Old 08-05-2013, 10:00 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,632 times
The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel by Neil Gaiman

A fantasy that I'm finding a very enjoyable read. Hard to put down.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:40 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I just finished The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin and started The Dinner by Herman Koch.
The Dinner is one of the strangest books I have read in a while. Leave it to the Dutch! I just started The Execution of Noa P. Singleton.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:42 PM

192 posts, read 322,020 times
The Kite Runner

Old 08-05-2013, 03:51 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel by Neil Gaiman

A fantasy that I'm finding a very enjoyable read. Hard to put down.
I went out to my library database and found a long list of holds on this one, but searching on this author provides a number of interesting titles. Some are available now. Thanks!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:36 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I just finished In the After by Demitria Lunetta. I got it because of Gizmo's recommendation.
I'm certainly glad I did. It's a good book even if it is YA. It's dystopian, well written with believable characters and an exciting plot.

I really hated to finish it. I think she has set it up for a follow up book. Oh Goody!

Old 08-06-2013, 01:08 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I went out to my library database and found a long list of holds on this one, but searching on this author provides a number of interesting titles. Some are available now. Thanks!
I had never heard of him until a friend on FB posted a review of this. Bought it on Amazon for my Kindle. Finished it in 3 days even though I was busy. Looking at others of his. His first books seem to be for older kids.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:55 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,731 times
I'm reading The Bloodletter's Daughter (A Novel of Old Bohemia) by Linda Lafferty.

"
Within the glittering Hapsburg court in Prague lurks a darkness of which no one dares speak…

In 1606, the city of Prague shines as a golden mecca of art and culture carefully cultivated by Emperor Rudolf II. But the emperor hides an ugly secret: His bastard son, Don Julius, is afflicted with a madness that pushes the young prince to unspeakable depravity. Desperate to stem his son’s growing number of scandals, the emperor exiles Don Julius to a remote corner of Bohemia where the young man is placed in the care of a bloodletter named Pichler. The bloodletter’s task: cure Don Julius of his madness by purging the vicious humors coursing through his veins.

When Pichler brings his daughter Marketa to assist him, she becomes the object of Don Julius’s frenzied—and dangerous—obsession. To him, she is the embodiment of the women pictured in the Coded Book of Wonder, a priceless manuscript from the imperial library that was the mad prince’s only link to sanity. As the prince descends further into the darkness of his mind, his acts become ever more desperate, as Marketa, both frightened and fascinated, can’t stay away.

Inspired by a real-life murder that threatened to topple the powerful Hapsburg dynasty, The Bloodletter’s Daughter is a dark and richly detailed saga of passion and revenge."

Very good read so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books