Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:17 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,064 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a European that loves American literature. Currently, I'm looking to read contemporary stories set in the rural or small-to midtown United States, preferably in the region between the Appalaches and the Rocky Mountains.

I'm not really looking for stories set in New York or Los Angeles or at the coastal regions, as I've read plenty of those (and often liked them ).

I'd greatly appreciate any sort of tip.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 06:48 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
The Help is really big here right now, if you're interested in race relations in MS during the '60's. You might like O, Pioneer by Willa Cather, set in Nebraska. If you are at all interested in biographies, I loved Bobbie Ann Mason's Clear Springs. She writes about her family in rural Kentucky during the depression on up to present. It reminded me so much of the stories my mom tells about rural Oklahoma that I lent it to her. She never reads books, and she loved it. If you're into older books (like Cather), Mark Twain is a good one and so is Steinbeck.

I don't read a lot of modern stuff. It annoys me, but I do like the western writer Larry McMurtry and the historical fiction writer John Jakes. It's quick reading, but I like it.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2011, 02:28 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Anything by Richard Russo, although his books are set in small-town New York, so they may not interest you.

Also, Charles Portis's books may be of interest as well.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:39 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Apart from getting one-time recommendations here, are you aware that the New York Times has its Sunday Book Review section online?

Books - Sunday Book Review - The New York Times

Old 06-08-2011, 10:46 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,644 times
How recent does the story have to be for you to consider it contemporary? I tend to prefer older literature. I did recently read "No Country for Old Men" an excellent thriller that takes place in the southwest.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
How recent does the story have to be for you to consider it contemporary? I tend to prefer older literature. I did recently read "No Country for Old Men" an excellent thriller that takes place in the southwest.
To be honest, I'd prefer stories taking place after 2000.

But on the other hand, if they're as good as Cormac McCarthy's, I don't mind them being a bit less recent .

Old 06-10-2011, 07:10 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
To be honest, I'd prefer stories taking place after 2000.

But on the other hand, if they're as good as Cormac McCarthy's, I don't mind them being a bit less recent .
Well, none of my recommendations are that recent. Sorry. I don't like most recent stuff.

Another poster mentioned the NYT book list - I personally have no luck finding good books off that list. Maybe I'm just too picky, but I've disliked almost every book I've read off that list except The Help, which I didn't think was firework-fantastic.

Anyway, my book recs won't be too helpful. Perhaps someone else's will.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I'd never realized this was such a slim genre. There aren't many. Some I've recently read are:

Louise Erdrich "Shadow Tag", (Minnesota)

Audrey Niffenegger "Time Traveler's Wife" (Michigan/Chicago)

Richard Powers ,"Echo Makers" (Nebraska)

Most books by Jodi Picoult, I think.

James Lee Burke (Louisiana) and C. J. Box (Wyoming) have written some very readable crime novels that vividly reflect life in their home states.

It does seem that most novels that take place in the central time zone are reminiscences of earlier times. or were written at least 50 years ago.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-10-2011 at 08:47 AM..

Old 06-11-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'd never realized this was such a slim genre. There aren't many. Some I've recently read are:

Louise Erdrich "Shadow Tag", (Minnesota)

Audrey Niffenegger "Time Traveler's Wife" (Michigan/Chicago)

Richard Powers ,"Echo Makers" (Nebraska)

Most books by Jodi Picoult, I think.

James Lee Burke (Louisiana) and C. J. Box (Wyoming) have written some very readable crime novels that vividly reflect life in their home states.

It does seem that most novels that take place in the central time zone are reminiscences of earlier times. or were written at least 50 years ago.
Thanks for the info!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:08 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,286,244 times
I was looking at your profile and then clicked on this page.
I have a few suggestions based on your profile and question(on topic)

It seems you have read Cormac Mccarthy, a national treasure, some of his offerings are more accessible than others but always worth the effort. BLOOD MERIDIAN is difficult for many readers due to GRAPHIC subject matter, however, THE ROAD is so deceptively complex, an economy of words, an abundance of meaning.

Joyce Carol Oates may appeal to your shadow side. She has many novels and short stories you could sample.

When you need to cleanse your palate: Christopher Moore is hysterical. You will enjoy the stories more if you DO NOT read anything about the plot. No book jacket reviews etc. I would not start with The Fool. Try Fluke, The Stupidest Angel, Lamb. A Dirty Job would be my first choice for you.

If you enjoy Christopher Moore, know that many of his characters reappear in subsequent stories, so reading in order of dates published will let get the inside jokes and references.

Enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books