U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Unread 06-10-2011, 04:14 PM
 
4,870 posts, read 4,072,699 times
Reputation: 1565
Default Where to start to look for someone to publish my book?

I am looking for the first places to begin a search to find a publisher for a book.
I'm sure there are internet publishers and some of those may need to be avoided, not sure.

A children's book.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 06-10-2011, 06:13 PM
 
3,433 posts, read 4,132,217 times
Reputation: 3571
I think you need to go to the Writing forum. Good luck.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-10-2011, 07:42 PM
 
2,059 posts, read 766,253 times
Reputation: 2830
Run, don't walk, to AbsoluteWrite.com. Join the forum. It's free. It's invaluable. The people are friendly, helpful and knowledgable. Professionals recommend it (and visit it). Many of its member are published. There's a special forum just for children's books.

And, do yourself a favor when you're there. Read the sticky threads and do searches for questions you have. You'll find long threads where it's already been discussed and all that information will be available to read immediately. No waiting for responses.

I'm serious. Go. Now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-11-2011, 07:09 AM
 
4,870 posts, read 4,072,699 times
Reputation: 1565
I'll try both, thanks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-11-2011, 10:39 AM
 
4,870 posts, read 4,072,699 times
Reputation: 1565
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Run, don't walk, to AbsoluteWrite.com. Join the forum. It's free. It's invaluable. The people are friendly, helpful and knowledgable. Professionals recommend it (and visit it). Many of its member are published. There's a special forum just for children's books.

And, do yourself a favor when you're there. Read the sticky threads and do searches for questions you have. You'll find long threads where it's already been discussed and all that information will be available to read immediately. No waiting for responses.

I'm serious. Go. Now.
oh well, they refused my registration as not meeting their guidelines.

I entered my birthdate, e-mail address, name, and that was all they asked for.

So, if you are a member did they refuse me because of my "age"?
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-11-2011, 03:15 PM
 
2,059 posts, read 766,253 times
Reputation: 2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
oh well, they refused my registration as not meeting their guidelines.

I entered my birthdate, e-mail address, name, and that was all they asked for.

So, if you are a member did they refuse me because of my "age"?
I'm not aware of any age limits but I don't know what they're requirements are, either. Let me do some checking and get back to you.

I know you can browse the forums, even if you aren't a member. You'll still learn a LOT that way.

When you typed in your birthdate and clicked submit, did you remember to click the box on the next page that said you agree to their terms of use? That's the only thing I can think of for not being allowed to join. Everyone has to click that box.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-11-2011, 03:27 PM
 
4,870 posts, read 4,072,699 times
Reputation: 1565
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I'm not aware of any age limits but I don't know what they're requirements are, either. Let me do some checking and get back to you.

I know you can browse the forums, even if you aren't a member. You'll still learn a LOT that way.

When you typed in your birthdate and clicked submit, did you remember to click the box on the next page that said you agree to their terms of use? That's the only thing I can think of for not being allowed to join. Everyone has to click that box.
I clicked the OK box to their terms of use.
I am over 50 years old.
I "do" have a "hotmail e-mail address" (the only one that is really known for spam is gmail, and no offense to any gmail users)
I did not check "let administrators contact you."
However, I did get the e-mail to confirm and login.
So, the system did not kick me out for any of the above reasons.
But, the person, or people, or computer that approves the registration did decline it.
Here is the message:
Dear howard555,

Unfortunately your registration at Absolute Write Water Cooler
did not meet our membership requirements.
Therefore your registration was deleted.

Sorry,
Absolute Write Water Cooler
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-11-2011, 05:23 PM
 
4,870 posts, read 4,072,699 times
Reputation: 1565
I gave my hotmail address so if they sold, gave, or loaned my address to other people or companies like 90% of them do, I would not get all the spam in my personal e-mail account.

Some sites do not accept Google Mail, Yahoo Mail or Hot Mail.
That may or may not be the issue.
I know a director of a company who uses Hotmail so it is not totally blacklisted.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-11-2011, 06:12 PM
 
2,059 posts, read 766,253 times
Reputation: 2830
For the life of me, I can't understand it. I'm a member and I use hotmail. (They've never sold it and I've never received spam as a result of that site.) I also unchecked the box that allows admin to e-mail you. All you have to do is put in your birthdate (which I never use my exact day or month, just the year), create a screen name and a password. Then check the box that says you agree to the terms of service. They send you a verification e-mail where you click on the link to finalize the registration. The whole process takes less than five minutes.

I'm not done checking this out. I've never heard of anyone being declined membership unless they had been there trolling and it was their ISP address that gave them away. I'm sure that's not the case for you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-12-2011, 10:31 AM
 
4,870 posts, read 4,072,699 times
Reputation: 1565
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
For the life of me, I can't understand it. I'm a member and I use hotmail. (They've never sold it and I've never received spam as a result of that site.) I also unchecked the box that allows admin to e-mail you. All you have to do is put in your birthdate (which I never use my exact day or month, just the year), create a screen name and a password. Then check the box that says you agree to the terms of service. They send you a verification e-mail where you click on the link to finalize the registration. The whole process takes less than five minutes.

I'm not done checking this out. I've never heard of anyone being declined membership unless they had been there trolling and it was their ISP address that gave them away. I'm sure that's not the case for you.
Did you get an "activation" code to enter?
If you did, I never saw one on any e-mail I got, unless it was way at the bottom. I was sent a link to complete registration. I clicked that link and it took me to a page, and it appeared to have me registered. I went to the forum where you introduce yourself, and I got a message saying "I did not have permission to post there." (YET)
.....it said my membership was awaiting approval, and then shortly there after I got the denial.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top