Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:39 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
As a former employee I think it's great. They laid me off in 09 (after treating me and the other employees like spit) and I've not been able to find a job since. Ahhh..karma. Love it.

I love books, believe me. But I also am the type to cut of my own nose to spite my face lol

Am I bitter ? Oh yehhhh
Your bitterness is misplaced. The execs who buried the company and established the policies that treated employees like dirt are waking away with big bonuses and going on to their next six-figure salaries. The people who really did all the work are just out of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 12:42 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Your bitterness is misplaced. The execs who buried the company and established the policies that treated employees like dirt are waking away with big bonuses and going on to their next six-figure salaries. The people who really did all the work are just out of jobs.
I didn't consider that.

It's messed up allright

Old 07-24-2011, 01:08 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,761 times
I've bought dozens of books over the years at Borders, there was once one within walking distance at one point. It was usually a very nice visit but it is a shame that the management and business tanked.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:55 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I went to my Borders yesterday to see what they might be selling in their death throes. Ended up with two CDs and four books plus a magazine. Like I really needed to buy more books...I am so sorry to see them go, and I told the cashier so. Also wished her well finding a new job. It must be hard on those people. Working in a bookstore sounds like a dream job to me (if I didn't need to live on that salary alone) and now what will these people all do?

Old 07-24-2011, 06:12 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I went to my Borders yesterday to see what they might be selling in their death throes. Ended up with two CDs and four books plus a magazine. Like I really needed to buy more books...I am so sorry to see them go, and I told the cashier so. Also wished her well finding a new job. It must be hard on those people. Working in a bookstore sounds like a dream job to me (if I didn't need to live on that salary alone) and now what will these people all do?
I'm hoping to get to a Borders one last time before they close. So sad to see them closing. I hate shopping, but this is the one store I could spend hours in.

I wonder if B&N will last, or maybe only small independent book stores will stick around (though I imagine they're having a tough time as well).

Old 07-24-2011, 09:15 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I wonder if B&N will last, or maybe only small independent book stores will stick around (though I imagine they're having a tough time as well).
B&N is going to have to evolve in the next 5 years, or no, they won't last. But B&N has something Borders was sorely lacking: decent management that actually knows something about the publishing industry. Borders's management couldn't sell Copenhagen at Nascar races.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:54 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,434 times
I much prefer BN to Borders in my area.

The Borders store has a huge 2 story setup, but the 2nd floor with DVDs and CDs is usually a waste of time. The DVDs all sell for $10 more than you would find at Target or Amazon. Who pays $29.99 for a no frills basic new DVD?

ALso, the BN while a smaller store, and with no DVDs, CDS, has wider aisles and a better kids' area, as well as a sit down area to read. If I have an hour to kill, and I'm in the area of a BN, get a coffee and sit down and browse through books (and usually buy something).

ALso, while one can subscribe to BN and Border coupons, Border coupons can only be used on a full priced item, making the savings not as great. And, BN has Starbucks coffee which, to me, is a lot stronger and more palatable than the stuff at Borders.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:11 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Call me "old fashioned", but I don't think I'll ever purchase a kindle. I like the look, feel, and smell of books. I need to be turning pages. I look at television, computer, and phone screens enough. A book gives me a break from that.
I also said I would never get a cell phone or IPOD either I'm not ready to purchase a kindle yet, but may do so in a few years.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:12 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Sad, but true.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:01 PM

35 posts, read 46,928 times
Went to Borders this weekend hoping for big savings. NOPE... 20% off books still more than double, triple what I pay. I stopped buying books at Borders a few years ago. When you don't need to read the latest release you come out better in terms of price and selection with Amazon, thrift stores (got some real treasures there), even the library sells used books. I purchased over 100 books last year; all used, all for less than $4 with free shipping. I also prefer to buy hardbacks with larger font.

Still there was an occasional deal to be had. The bargain books were priced near $5 so I picked up a few just for local support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books