Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 02:16 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Teenagers should have no trouble reading any modern novel that they are making films of, which teenagers are watching. As for the appropriateness of the language, there are no words in there that a teenager hasn't heard yet, nor sexual situations that they aren't already aware of.

A teenager should certainly be able to read a book that is not ABOUT teenagers. They should be encouraged to FEEL like they are interested in the adult world that is addressed modern novelists. Personally, I think it is a mistake to try to force "classics" onto young readers, instead of the kinds of real-life 21st century realities that they are already living through and can easily relate to, while at the same time, getting exposure to serious literary writing.

Stephen King and Jodi Picoult seem perfectly suited to the interests of a teenager who is actually interested in recreational reading. Or Charles Frazier of Kent Haruf. If not yet ready for that kind of adult reading, try the full length novels of Ray Bradbury.

Assuming that the OP is bilingual, I think it would be important to read books like L'Élégance du hérisson by Muriel Barbery in the original French. I didn't think the English translation was all that great.

The OP is probably familiar with Yann Martell's reading list for the Prime Minister:
http://www.whatisstephenharperreading.ca/
Many of these title are not unusually deep reading, and some good suggestions for any reader can be found here.

In fact Martell's Life of Pi would be very readable for a teenager.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-22-2011 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 PM

117 posts, read 244,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Is it a boy or girl? The girls like Twilight. Romance, action etc. The books are better than the movies. I second the Patterson series
I'm a girl

Old 08-22-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Well, there is the standard The Lord of the Rings (definite adventure). I like Judy Blume and Robert Cormier. Their works are frequently challenged and banned, which is why I like them. I also like John Jakes. Now, he's more for adults, but I think adults are living in a hole if they think teens don't think about sex and revenge. Same with Larry McMurtry, who wrote the Lonesome Dove series. I loved A Tale of Two Cities and Jane Austen too. haha, I just remembered loving Jurassic Park in junior high!

Hmm, I don't know that my recs are too helpful. I typically like nonfiction, but these are some of my fiction favs. I'm sure others will have recs too.
Interesting!
If you have any other recomendations I wouldn't mind hearing them!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Peace Like a River by Leif Enger is a great story that is well written, sweet and funny.

You also might like The Book Thief. The premise sounds sort of weird - it is narrated by "Death", but it centers on the life of a young girl in Germany during WWII. After the first few pages when you get the hang of "Death" as the narrator, it is a super enjoyable read!

PS - I noticed that you said you didn't know what to buy. Do you have access to a library? You can fill your arms with books, read a few pages to decide which ones you like and not worry about the "duds" because its all free!
I have access to one!
But I would rather buy a book to keep rather than having to return it in the end.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
When my daughter was a teen she enjoyed the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books...

Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Teenagers should have no trouble reading any modern novel that they are making films of, which teenagers are watching. As for the appropriateness of the language, there are no words in there that a teenager hasn't heard yet, nor sexual situations that they aren't already aware of.

A teenager should certainly be able to read a book that is not ABOUT teenagers. They should be encouraged to FEEL like they are interested in the adult world that is addressed modern novelists. Personally, I think it is a mistake to try to force "classics" onto young readers, instead of the kinds of real-life 21st century realities that they are already living through and can easily relate to, while at the same time, getting exposure to serious literary writing.

Stephen King and Jodi Picoult seem perfectly suited to the interests of a teenager who is actually interested in recreational reading. Or Charles Frazier of Kent Haruf. If not yet ready for that kind of adult reading, try the full length novels of Ray Bradbury.

Assuming that the OP is bilingual, I think it would be important to read books like L'Élégance du hérisson by Muriel Barbery in the original French. I didn't think the English translation was all that great.

The OP is probably familiar with Yann Martell's reading list for the Prime Minister:
What is Stephen Harper Reading?
Many of these title are not unusually deep reading, and some good suggestions for any reader can be found here.

In fact Martell's Life of Pi would be very readable for a teenager.
This is very true! Teenagers should be reading these books in order to expose themselves to the adult world. I will check your suggestions out!
And I understand some French, but I don't think I understand it well enough to read a book. But once I improve upon it, I'll take it into consideration to read that book!
And I don't know who Yann Martell is, sorry.
Thank you for your suggestions

Old 08-22-2011, 05:30 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy345 View Post
Interesting!
If you have any other recomendations I wouldn't mind hearing them!
Oh, well, shoot. I'm a pretty big George Eliot fan (loving that she wrote under a man's name). Silas Marner was not my favorites of hers. I do wish professors wouldn't make students read that one. I prefer Middlemarch or Daniel Deronda. Both are romances. The first looks at marriages and what bad ones can turn people into. The second has more to do with race and familial relationships.

My best friend loves Jane Eyre. I think I found it too late. She found it before she discovered Jane Austen's books so she prefers it to any of Austen's. I'm the exact opposite.

You might like Willa Cather's O, Pioneers! It's not a hot, passionate romance, but it's sweet and portrays women in a very positive light. Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome is a bit dark but engaging. I have not read The Buccaneers, but I saw the movie. It's definitely on the list now. It's about some American girls who move to England and marry English men, but life doesn't turn out all that grand for all of them. VERY good.

Shoot, most of the authors I like are old school. Many of the new ones are too fluffy, IMO. Oh, I loved A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.

I think it's wonderful that you want to read! When I was a preteen and young teen, my parents and I went out together every other Friday or Saturday night to do our shopping and to eat out. It must sound awfully cheesy, but I really enjoyed it. We always went to the same bookstore, and my parents allowed me to buy one book each time. I read Dickens, Wharton, and Hawthorne then. I still have the books almost twenty years later.

I hope you find a few recommendations among all these posts that you like. I don't think any of these books are "too old" for a preteen or teen. There may be some things that don't hit home until later in life, but I think I benefited from reading them early.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:42 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
It looks to me as though you haven't mentioned your age. There's a big difference between books for a 13-year-old and a 19-year-old.

Have you read all the typical classics?

Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
When my daughter was a teen she enjoyed the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books...
I know that book
It also came out as a movie

Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Outlander, that is one of my daughter's favorite books. Dragon Rider, also another favorite.
Those sound interesting! I will look them up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books