Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 03:34 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,470 times

Advertisements

I've been working on a novel off and on for a little over a year now. It's entitled "If You Can't Stand the Heat" and it's basically a techno-thriller, centering on a government conspiracy to cover-up the fact that, not only is Global Warming happening right now, but it's going on at a much more sever rate than we know.
This young kid is the protagonist. His name is Kyle Ruffin, he's in his mid-20's and he is a guitarist and has a rock band named "Ruffin Ready. For his day job, he works in a factory in SoCal that makes Lawn & Garden supplies, includino outdoor thermometers. One day while outback by the dumpster on his break smoking a jay, he finds some paperwork that was supposed to be shredded, consisting of some specs on how his company alters the mercury in the thermometers so as to make them read cooler than actual. This is done at government mandate. They also alter their electronic thermometers.
Well, young Kyle decides to partake in a little blackmail with this evidence, and he gets in over his head. Way over, especially when the M.I.B. show up.

Last edited by DrummerBoy; 10-15-2011 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 02:55 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Why not?

National Novel Writing Month

Do it. I did, three times. Trust me. You'll be glad you participated.
Tried that last year. My problem is that I'm my own worst critic. I did GREAT for about a week. Then I took a break for a few days because I was way over word count.

I went back and read what I wrote.

I realized it was utter garbage.

I stopped writing.

I have a book inside me...the hardest part for me is the beginning. I have the middle and the end down really well....the beginning....how do I capture that person's attention right away?

(It's also a problem for me in writing as well as drama...my transitions suck!)

Old 10-16-2011, 03:02 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I've been working on a novel off and on for a little over a year now. It's entitled "If You Can't Stand the Heat" and it's basically a techno-thriller, centering on a government conspiracy to cover-up the fact that, not only is Global Warming happening right now, but it's going on at a much more sever rate than we know.
This young kid is the protagonist. His name is Kyle Ruffin, he's in his mid-20's and he is a guitarist and has a rock band named "Ruffin Ready. For his day job, he works in a factory in SoCal that makes Lawn & Garden supplies, includino outdoor thermometers. One day while outback by the dumpster on his break smoking a jay, he finds some paperwork that was supposed to be shredded, consisting of some specs on how his company alters the mercury in the thermometers so as to make them read cooler than actual. This is done at government mandate. They also alter their electronic thermometers.
Well, young Kyle decides to partake in a little blackmail with this evidence, and he gets in over his head. Way over, especially when the M.I.B. show up.

Very interesting idea.... but to be honest, not too sure I would tell so much about it. " Ideas get snatched and pawned off as being original.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:49 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,460,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
Very interesting idea.... but to be honest, not too sure I would tell so much about it. " Ideas get snatched and pawned off as being original.
Have to agree with the bolded. No need to screem paranoia as there's some truth that statement court files are filled with such cases. Then again, at least you'll be able to show reference to you idea via these threads. Oh how fun, I think I'm getting an idea for a book to be sanctioned off for a movie deal.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:06 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,284 times
I think the problem is, at least for me, is finding out what kind of writer I am, everyone is a little different. Do I describe things thoroughly/superfluously descriptive (like Dickens tends to do) or briefly/concise to the point (like Salinger). So that's where I stand right now. I do however have several stories that have been outlined like script writing. Starting the story seems to be a problem as well. I can flesh out scenes but connecting it, I find, arduous and become self-defeating.

Have patience is what I tell myself but boy do I have a hard time with it.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Have to agree with the bolded. No need to screem paranoia as there's some truth that statement court files are filled with such cases. Then again, at least you'll be able to show reference to you idea via these threads. Oh how fun, I think I'm getting an idea for a book to be sanctioned off for a movie deal.

For real???? I edited a book for a friend of my in Europe and will do the second as well, but he told me that a movie company in the Uk has approached him about his first one. And what is weird, is that as I was editing it, I couldn't help but see it on the big screen!!!! I think some books are just like that...

And if it is for real for you....

Old 10-16-2011, 06:13 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,460,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
For real???? I edited a book for a friend of my in Europe and will do the second as well, but he told me that a movie company in the Uk has approached him about his first one. And what is weird, is that as I was editing it, I couldn't help but see it on the big screen!!!! I think some books are just like that...

And if it is for real for you....
Maybe in another life, that's me just kidding around, truth be told, I wouldn't want that kind of notoriety. But thank you for the kind words. Well wishes for you and your friend, keep us informed.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Maybe in another life, that's me just kidding around, truth be told, I wouldn't want that kind of notoriety. But thank you for the kind words. Well wishes for you and your friend, keep us informed.
LOL I had to laugh at what I had typed as I had MY and not MINE.... good editor, huh????

And about the notoriety, you could always use a pseudonym if you decide to write one !

Thanks for the well wishes....

Old 10-17-2011, 08:18 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
What is it?

For me, I have some sci-fi/fantasy books (and some naughty that my gf would kill me if i wrote).

I would like to write them one day, but i just dont....

What book is inside of you?
A historical novel, some of which has made it outside of me, but the process is very, very slow...

Old 10-17-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A historical novel, some of which has made it outside of me, but the process is very, very slow...
is it slow because you are researching the time period? just curious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books