Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:55 AM

3 posts, read 5,185 times

Advertisements

I'm looking forward to read a spy novel..may b a series...... i'm very keen..... also i might want to convert that book into a screenplay for a movie..... i really am confused which book to read?????

please help.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 07:11 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,068 times
check out the scot harvath series by Brad Thor. It begins with Lions of Lucerne. Also, books by Steve Berry. he has many stand alone books, but also a series with his character, Cotton Malone. The Sigma Force series by James Rollins is also quite good.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:41 PM

529 posts, read 363,629 times
Try reading Vince Flynn's books I have read and own all of them so far awesome books.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:44 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Not quite a spy novel...more of a double agent sci fi novel - Lightning by Dean Koontz.

ALWAYS thought this would be a great movie.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:02 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
Try a book by Martin Cruz Smith. I suggest Gorky Park. It's my favorite.

Also, almost any of the earliest books by Tom Clancy are good spy books. My favorite is The Cardinal of the Kremlin. That's the one that hooked me on Clancy.

Dil se.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,098,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Try a book by Martin Cruz Smith. I suggest Gorky Park. It's my favorite.

Also, almost any of the earliest books by Tom Clancy are good spy books. My favorite is The Cardinal of the Kremlin. That's the one that hooked me on Clancy.

Dil se.
Yeah, Gorky Park is a classic, and I've also enjoyed the other five or six Arkady Renko books in that series as well. I think "Stalin's Ghost" was the last one I read.
But, to the OP: have you tried any of John Le Carre's "George Smiley" books. To cloak and dagger affacionados, Le Carre is the Old Master of the genre. He's a Brit, of course, as are two other good spy novelists, Ken Follet (A lot of WWII stuff) and Lee Deighton. (And when you consider Ian Fleming, the James Bond creator, it seems like for some reason Brits seem to have a nack for the spy stuff.)
Clancy is pretty good, but I consider him to be more in the "techno-thriller" genre than the spy.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:42 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Yeah, Gorky Park is a classic, and I've also enjoyed the other five or six Arkady Renko books in that series as well. I think "Stalin's Ghost" was the last one I read.
But, to the OP: have you tried any of John Le Carre's "George Smiley" books. To cloak and dagger affacionados, Le Carre is the Old Master of the genre. He's a Brit, of course, as are two other good spy novelists, Ken Follet (A lot of WWII stuff) and Lee Deighton. (And when you consider Ian Fleming, the James Bond creator, it seems like for some reason Brits seem to have a nack for the spy stuff.)
Clancy is pretty good, but I consider him to be more in the "techno-thriller" genre than the spy.
Le Carre is wonderful. He knows his stuff because he actually was a spy. Having said that I also have to say that IMO his books are not easy reads and would perhaps be difficult to read for someone who has English as a second language. Little Drummer Girl is my favorite but it would be hard to beat The Spy Who Came In From the Cold.

Ken Follet's book are great and easy to grasp. That reminds me, Alistair Maclean has written some really fine "spy" novels. I sure did enjoy Bear Island.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:05 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,273,923 times
Dive into some Clive Cussler books. I have so many of these. You have spying, espionage, kidnapping, murder and all kinds of fun things.

James Rollins also has some good one's. But many of his delve into apocalyptic type stories, which for me is great, because i enjoy them.

Stephen Coonts is another good storyteller.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,079 times
The best book I have read, so far, that I thoroughly enjoyed and couldn't put down was The Charm School by Nelson DeMille.

I thought it was great.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
John LeCarre, The Human Factor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books