U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 12:35 PM

730 posts, read 881,214 times
Default Your favorite used bookstore?

I was just posting on another thread about my trek to Archer City, TX to visit "Booked Up," one of the largest and most extensive used and antiquarian bookstores in the U.S. It is owned by Larry McMurtry (great, prolific writer of "Lonesome Dove," "The Last Picture Show" and others.)

It was a marvelous old place, and it got me thinking: there has to be other stores like this all over.

I know the genre is probabably sadly diminished, but here in DFW we are fortunate to have quite a few. While Half Price Books is certainly a good resource, my favorite is Paperbacks Plus in East Dallas. Just one of those lovely, meandering quiet places where I can browse for hours and usually find some gem of a book that I have been looking for for years.

I also visited The Strand in NYC this year and was stricken dumb by the sheer number and quality of the books they carry. Hope to go back soon.

What's your favorite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 01:28 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,746,034 times
The Strand, of course! The biggest in NYC, even though their staff has a mixed reputation. Sadly, most of the others have disappeared - the Gotham, Book Ark, Skyline, etc.

I've read about McMurtry's, and I'd love to go to someday.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:35 PM

121 posts, read 174,013 times
Powell's Books in Portland, OR. New, used, out of print books...you name it. It's one gigantic city block, 1.6 acre, multi-tiered store of books. You can easily spend a whole day in there and not come out, since there is a restaurant/cafe and bathrooms. Add a shower and you can practically live there! It's bookworm heaven.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:20 PM

I've been to Powell's in Chicago - the one adjacent to Univ of Chicago -- it's the same company, yes?

There used to be a location on S. State (or was it Wabash?) in Chicago as well. I actually preferred it to the Hyde Park location, as it was much easier to get to. I think they have closed that location, though -- I don't see it on the website.

Fantastic store!

Old 11-12-2011, 07:53 PM

121 posts, read 174,013 times
Brookside, I don't believe they're run by the same company any more, though it seems that Powell's did have its beginnings in Chicago. From the Wiki article, it would appear the two Powell's now have no relation to each other besides the name.

I've never been to the one in Chicago - didn't even know there was one! You should visit the one in Portland sometime, if you ever get a chance.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:19 AM

26,223 posts, read 18,736,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The Strand, of course! The biggest in NYC, even though their staff has a mixed reputation. Sadly, most of the others have disappeared - the Gotham, Book Ark, Skyline, etc.

I've read about McMurtry's, and I'd love to go to someday.
Ding ding ding, yes The Strand. I haven't been there in a while.

There's also a wonderful used bookstore in Teaneck, NJ. It SMELLS like old books. I swear I could get high off that smell.

http://teaneck.patch.com/listings/brier-rose-books-2 (broken link)

Old 11-13-2011, 08:58 AM

11,873 posts, read 6,856,390 times
My niece, Kati, swears that my house is her favorite used book store.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
My niece, Kati, swears that my house is her favorite used book store.
What a compliment!!

Old 11-14-2011, 04:52 AM

13,040 posts, read 14,236,374 times
I love "Arcadia" in Oxford, a tiny shop which is mostly a gift store of shabby chic type of things, but tucked at the back is this treasure trove of second hand books, a room full of it, like a friend's library. I buy a lot from there, some are real finds, like illustrated Fairy Tales from the end of the 19th century, most from the 50s and 60s, a lot of "classics" and a lot of books with annotations from Students past.

Oxford used to have the best selection of used books but sadly most have now disappeared though a couple survive. I also am very fond of the used section of "Toadstool" in Milford NH, as they seem to usually stock the kind of books I really love.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 AM

7,986 posts, read 10,195,394 times
What are some good used bookstores in Maine??? Anyone have any suggestions?

Not naming any locations, but the few I've visited were less than impressive to say the least. What gems am I missing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books