Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:37 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times

Advertisements

I really enjoyed the first book. The second and third . . maybe not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 09:16 PM

869 posts, read 1,493,671 times
i really enjoyed reading them. I read alot, and spend a lot of money of books and its a series i am glad to have. I understand what the problems are but i think people tend to overlook how formidable an opponent a child could be if put in the right circumstances. They are required to grow up far faster than our 16 year olds and thus have a greater level of understanding about how the world works and if they are disinfranchised they are prepared to challenge the system. I understand completely that everything that took place was a perfect storm of events that led up to the finale. But you also have to take into account that it is possible to learn from something. For example, no matter how hard you try you still only win and lose some. You stand up for yourself and what you believe in and even if you win it doesnt guarantee a happy ending.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:58 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I read them all. I try to read everything my kids are reading so I can discuss it with them and to make sure I know what theya re reading. The last book is really awful. Yes. It gets worse. It probably has the worst ending of any book I have read (and I used to read 20-150 books a year, sometimes more).
I've read all three Hunger Games and I agree with you - the last book was absolutely terrible IMO. It was like Suzanne Collins was tired of writing the book and just randomly threw stuff together.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:44 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,141 times
Quote:
've read all three Hunger Games and I agree with you - the last book was absolutely terrible IMO.
yup. Read them and liked them overall. The third book nearly did in the trilogy. I thought the romance aspect was a bit much and at times random as if she wrote a book and the editors told her to toss in some love triangle or no one will read it. The ending was meh. Somewhat predictable, but everyone's fate seemed rushed just to get to the end while the rest of the third book was drawn out, but not nearly as tedious as Twilight. Good lord I didn't get past the first 50 pages of the first book and don't get me started on the dreck that was the movies. Just looking at the cast the Hunger Games should be 100x more watchable.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:33 AM

840 posts, read 2,085,282 times
I like the books. #1 was the best, but it took me almost a week to read #3.

I didn't really like Peeta's character he was just a average good boy.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:39 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Yeah, op.

I really enjoyed the first book. Just because it was different-ish and well-paced.
It was pretty predictable, but once you have read several thousand books, they are all predictable.

I read the last two in the series just bc you have to find out what happens, but I thought they were substantially weaker.

I read the Uglies series - waste of time. Stop and forget it. Great premise. Short on delivery. Especially as the series goes on.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:35 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
yup. Read them and liked them overall. The third book nearly did in the trilogy. I thought the romance aspect was a bit much and at times random as if she wrote a book and the editors told her to toss in some love triangle or no one will read it. The ending was meh. Somewhat predictable, but everyone's fate seemed rushed just to get to the end while the rest of the third book was drawn out, but not nearly as tedious as Twilight. Good lord I didn't get past the first 50 pages of the first book and don't get me started on the dreck that was the movies. Just looking at the cast the Hunger Games should be 100x more watchable.
I liked the HG series overall - it was entertaining. But, I can't say I'd recommend it and your right, book 3 was rushed, the storyline crumbled, Katniss spent half her time curled up in a ball somewhere.

I have not read 1984 by Orwell (I hope I have the title right) but my aunt says it's very similar to Hunger Games.

Twilight... what irritates me about that story is Stephanie Meyer would repeat, "he was smoldering" in every book. I mean, I get that Edward is supposed to be hot, but repeat descriptions bug me (I know, it's petty, but what can I say).

Old 01-23-2012, 03:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I have not read 1984 by Orwell (I hope I have the title right) but my aunt says it's very similar to Hunger Games.

That is an interesting comparison. They are not obviously simlar, but they do have some simlar themes (not kids killing eath other for food, but the overall society has some similarities. This is probably where the background for the society came from.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,534 times
Loved them all. Couldn't put them down.
And I'm a 38 yo male.
Just a fun, quick read.
Looking forward to the movie. I was done reading the last one and was thinking how the series would make a great movie trilogy. Did a google search and ends up it was a month till they release the preview for the hunger games. Lol.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:59 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,705,000 times
Thanks for the replies - but I wish the people who only said they liked it had talked about why. Yes, as Mary54 says, it's an easy read, but there are easy reads that are also better books, in fact, easy reads that ar adult books. In terms of kids on their own, obviously Lord of the Flies is better. In terms of people as tribute, The King Must Die is better. In terms of a teen's struggle for survival, I remember Call It Courage as being better. And all of them better constructed and more internally plausible.

Mommabear2, it is NOTHING like 1984, which is a masterpiece. I hope you get around to reading that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books