Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many pages of a book do you read before deciding to ditch it?
I have to read at least 10 pages. 3 9.09%
I have to read at least 25 pages. 8 24.24%
I have to read at least 50 pages. 12 36.36%
I have to read at least 100 pages. 10 30.30%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:04 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times

Advertisements

There have been only three books I have stopped reading; I usually stick it out until the bloody bitter end, but those were horrible.

The Cell-Stephen King (usually I'm a huge King fan, but this sucked!)
Twilight-Stephanie Myers (got about 100 pages in, and it was ignorant)
Anatomy of Criticism- Northrup Frye (VERY dry and boring, but his other works are good)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
What is now called self-publishing is also known as vanity publishing, for a lot of very good reasons.

In the normal course of events, a publisher takes a chance on a writer because he likes the story, not the other way around.

I stay away from the self-published books. Publishing may eventually change due to ebooks and such, but in the meantime there is no vetting process for self-published books, and most of the time there is nothing to them but the writer's vanity and unwillingness to be an apprentice to their craft.
I don't consider it "vanity publishing" at all, when there are hundreds of great authors with awesome stories out there, being told no left and right by publishing houses that think Twilight is the next American Magnum Opus!

I know of a few self-publishers personally, one was a very dear family friend who told her story (about a year before she died), and it was GREAT, seriously the Help was good, but this was better. Another is one of the English Proffs at my local Community College. He was self published, then picked up by a publishing house, and is doing great. The last one is my hubby, and he's currently working on a novel for a publisher who read his SP book a few years before that, and loved it.

Normally, an author WOULD wait, but publishing houses are flooded with manuscripts and 90% of them are horrible, so the 10% that are great books usually never get read, or will be given the chance to let the public decide.

As for the vetting process, if some of the current best-sellers were vetted, then I think I'll take my chances with SP, some are awful, just awful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 05:23 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times
I try to give it 100 pages if it seems like I might like the book. There are some books where I know right away they're not for me.

I also use the "percentage" method too sometimes.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:03 AM

995 posts, read 1,115,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
There have been only three books I have stopped reading; I usually stick it out until the bloody bitter end, but those were horrible.

The Cell-Stephen King (usually I'm a huge King fan, but this sucked!)
Twilight-Stephanie Myers (got about 100 pages in, and it was ignorant)
Anatomy of Criticism- Northrup Frye (VERY dry and boring, but his other works are good)
I wish I could've stopped at 100 pages on this one. As a veteran of bodice-ripper sagas going back to the late '70's, I usually found they improved as they went along.
Twilight was just not written well at all, and it was about vampires! Where was the moody, scary, threatening dark atmosphere? This was just teenage hormones and angst. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books