Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:30 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Like Mooseketeer, I have relatives who suffered (whether they lived or died) at the hands (or ideas) of Hitler, so your question made me think long and hard before answering.

Oftentimes, when I hear of someone who is not Jewish (I'm just assuming that you're not, but correct me if I'm wrong) reading a book that deals with Jews, specifically in this time period, more specifically in reference to the war and Hitler, I wonder why. I wonder what their interest is -- whether it's genuine wanting of knowledge about Jewish people or something more nefarious. It makes me realize that I have to know the PERSON, not just his or her reading habits.

Do I think that you're racist for reading the book? No.

It would be stupid of me to assume such a thing because of one book that you read. If all the books that you read had to do with Hitler, the war, concentration camps, and the like, I'd have to wonder what was going on, but it would still be unfair of me to call you racist based on your interest. I'd have to know WHY you have that interest, first.

So, short answer: no. Unless you give me a bigger reason to think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 AM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times
IMO...
Book people, no matter what they're reading, are in search of information and knowledge. In today's atmosphere of anti-intellectualism and the thinking that someone is a snob just for thinking of continuing on to higher education and going to college, you'll have to consider the sources in the politics forum. They never let facts interfere with their opinions.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:19 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
No, it wouldn't be like you saying anyone who didn't like the movie is racist. Mein Kampf is a racist book with a racist ideology. It also happens to be a poorly written book. There is no way to praise that book on the basis of either its quality of writing or its ideas, and if a reader's opinion is otherwise, I would bet on the reader being a member of, or a sympathizer of white supremacist racist type groups.

Note: Opinions are not facts.....

Anne west hit the nail on the head!

Old 03-04-2012, 09:41 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Of course not. I read "Mein Kampf" and my Great Grand Father died escaping from Auschwitz and my Great Uncle spent years in various death camps ( he is a survivor). We even studied bits of it at school during History. I must admit I thought apart from the moral aspect of it though it was basically an incredibly written, badly argued piece of trash in literary terms and dull as ditch water. Not a book I would care to re-read.

Hitler was a far better orator than a writer. Whatever his skills may have been writing was certainly not one of them.

Knowledge is never a bad thing and it is rather difficult to criticise something in an informed manner if you haven't got the facts at your fingertips so sometimes books like MK have to be endured if you are going to gather a deeper understanding of certain issues.

I have read a lot of contentious and controversial books in my days, some proponents of slavery and colonialism and I am deeply opposed to both. Contemporary sources are often the only way to really get to the nub of some questions. You gain an insight into the minds of people who are so removed from your own way of thinking that it is almost impossible to understand what lies behind their beliefs.

If the profits from MK went to a Nazi organisation then that would be an issue but otherwise, knowledge is knowledge. It used to be that all profits of MK went to various charities , is this still the case ?

What makes someone racist is believing the crap in those books and trying to follow its precepts. A book is only a vessel for words, those words are meaningless until a human being decides to believe them.

I have read the Bible and many other Sacred texts and I am a staunch Atheist...
I agree. I've never believed in censoring books and, therefore, I don't think that reading them makes you a worse or a better individual. You have a mind to think, to interpret, to discard. If a book like that makes you hate Jews or blame Jews for the end of civilization, you probably already hated them in the first place and you were looking for some excuses and "moral support".

I read Mein Kampf a long time ago. I thought it was tedious, badly written, badly reasoned (some ideas are extremely hard, if not impossible, to rationalize, but make some genuine effort at least for God's sake) and, all in all, disappointing.

And no, it never succeeded in turning me into a Jew-hater. Obviously.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:49 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
I agree. I've never believed in censoring books and, therefore, I don't think that reading them makes you a worse or a better individual. You have a mind to think, to interpret, to discard. If a book like that makes you hate Jews or blame Jews for the end of civilization, you probably already hated them in the first place and you were looking for some excuses and "moral support".

I read Mein Kampf a long time ago. I thought it was tedious, badly written, badly reasoned (some ideas are extremely hard, if not impossible, to rationalize, but make some genuine effort at least for God's sake) and, all in all, disappointing.

And no, it never succeeded in turning me into a Jew-hater. Obviously.
Like you I think MK is pretty unlikely to turn a tolerant reasonable person into an anti-Semitic monster. Anyone with the power of reasoning and common sense is never going to be swayed by a book no matter how well written and argued IMO ( which MK is most definitely not anyway).

As human beings we might seek the reinforcement and condoning of our most unpalatable views but the rot is already there. Hatred, fear or suspicion will have set in long before MK convinces you you are right...

If you are going to be the kind of person who has already made up their minds that Jewish people are an inferior race then MK is a perfect vehicle for your own diseased mind but I really cannot believe anyone would "turn" because of it.

Hitler IMO was far more likely to whip up millions into a frenzy of anti semitism with his fanatical oratory skills because there is far more life and venom in the spoken word to me than the written. Rallies are social gatherings playing on the mass hysteria which affects people in crowds, the follower's instinct in many people.

Books require YOU to do the work in many ways, the reader creates the poison from his own mind whereas in rallies you almost absorb it by osmosis. The human mind behaves differently in social environment, we are a pack animal and some of our darkest instincts are brought to the fore through communal experience . Riots are proof of how easy people simply turn.

To me a speech is far more inflammatory in many ways than a book because it does not require you to think at all , it is far more passive. Reading a book engages the mind, listening to a speech is often more than not as much about the experience as a social being . As humans we often take our cues from others and speeches elicit totally different reactions than a book would.

Hitler's power laid not in his ideology but the way he played the crowds, he had great charisma and understood that his strength was not convincing individuals of the greatness of his cause but in the social aspect of his ideology. Everything about Nazi Germany was in suppressing the individual and reinforcing the group thinking and acting. Because crowds are so much easier to manipulate and play. It becomes almost a sort of mass hypnosis.

It activates a different switch within us which renders us mindless and turns us into sheep. Some people were devout Nazis , body and soul but most Germans IMO allowed themselves to be brainwashed into believing what was at the time more convenient to believe, and gave a little more body to their economic and social grievances. Hitler gave them what they craved, a reason for their woes and a solution. They heard only what they wanted to hear as masses usually do.

Nothing has changed since then, we are still sheep and following is still seen as much easier than thinking for ourselves.

Bosnia, Rwanda , Darfur, Cambodia all the product of group thinking. Old fears, hatreds and tribal differences coming to the fore in great swathes of socially motivated atrocities.

Books IMO need to speak an individual , one on one. So to turn into a rabid Nazi you already had to be one at the core of your being. You have to think with a book. To me a social movement is usually about exactly the opposite and you leave your mind at the door and your individuality. A book requires a degree of analysis and reflection whereas as a rallye relies on our innate desire to belong.

I cannot imagine this piece of racist grabage turning anyone who was otherwise a sentient individual into a pliable monster to the Nazi machine. Your mind already had to have been swayed by another kind of disease.

MK might reinforce and "justify" your views but the words on paper were nothing without your own mind to believe them. We believe what we want to at the end of the day. But the collective unconscious is a far more potent vehicle for mindless and moronic bigotry which is why I fear incitation to hatred by oration far more than by the written word.

We chose to be racist, we chose to be nasty, we chose to do evil. It is a choice.

Nobody in Germany woke up one morning perfectly at peace with Jewish people and Homosexuals and ended up a bigoted Nazi Homophobic by reading MK. That I refuse to believe.

What frightens me is that people with hateful ideologies simply use MK as a posing device to justify their evil intent. To use a book as evidence of the validity of your views is in essence missing the point of a book.

To be honest apart from the hateful and disgusting rhetoric I would find anyone who actually loved MK as a book and conveyer of data and saw it as anything but pulp fiction of the worst kind to be intellectually below par.

IMO you would have to be a first class moron never mind nazi apologist and fantasist to like this book .

It is good to find out what the fuss is all about though and I would be wary of banning any books no matter how despicable their content. It is a slippery slope and we then end up turning towards what we are trying so hard to avoid.

Hitler was also a great burner of books as most dictators are because they encourage people to think for themselves. The power of the book lies in the reader far more than in the writer when it comes to ideology in my opinion.

There is a reason why the Church tried so hard not to allow access to the Bible ( and even sermons) in the vulgar native language of whatever country. It knew it would open the floodgates of interpretation, intellectual challenges and a feeling of liberation from the masters who until then had been in charge of our thinking.

It would allow controversy and greater intellectual discourse. In essence the publication of the Bible in local languages led slowly to the enlightenment and a loosening of the grip of the Church. It led to reform and revolution and gave the power back to the people.

No wonder the Church was so opposed to loosening the ties which bound us to its apron strings. It lost control over our minds because slowly we were able to not only understand what we were reading but to allow our own thoughts and feelings to develop. Reading was the great liberator for the masses. Our modern world owes what it is from scientific enquiry to the modern liberties we so cherish mainly because a few hundred years ago printing gave us back the power of our minds to expand and be liberated. Knowledge gradually seeped into the masses, as well as a sense of enpowerment.

Books are are great liberators IMO, far more than enslavers. And a great equaliser. A book is only dangerous if our mind is already enslaved by irrational and groundless ideas.

Dicators always fear an educated populace which is why intellectuals and challengers of ideas are often the first to be victimised in many dictatorships. Nothing scares a fanatic as much as an enlightened audience. So much more difficult to manipulate and turn into a follower. Challengers of perceived notions are the most potent tool in a democracy. Which is why education is so very important IMO.
Our own mind is the best tool we possess to fight fanaticism and fundamentalism of all kinds. And the will to use it of course....

Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
IMO...
Book people, no matter what they're reading, are in search of information and knowledge. In today's atmosphere of anti-intellectualism and the thinking that someone is a snob just for thinking of continuing on to higher education and going to college, you'll have to consider the sources in the politics forum. They never let facts interfere with their opinions.
well said.

Some on politics forum are educated, you have to weed through it

reading books for historical knowledge is important. reading MK for knowledge is the same as Mooseketeer mentioned, read the Bible for info., but dont take it at face value.

Marx and Hegel's dialectical materialism is taught in AP European History. Yet some on politics forum are unaware that this is part of history and consider it to be "teaching communism in schools". It is simply learning different philosophies.

Consider the source, I guess, is best rule of thumb.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:28 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Do you consider someone racist because they read Mein Kampf? What if that same person read the communist manifesto?
I am being attacked in the politics section because I know which MK is the best read and understand...
Racist? No. How ridiculous.

I'd say that it someone who understands the importance of knowledge and information, and not getting it from a magazine or movie

Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Seems to me like the whole point of the Politics forum is for people to attack each other, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you.

Civil discourse and politics are no longer familiar with each other, which is why so many people are cynical these days.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:32 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Common among young people, I had an anti-authority thing going on years back, and if a book were considered banned or dangerous, I had to read it. I read MK and I think I'd never read such a boring book.

I think there are people in today's media, of a certain political persuasion mostly, whom I have read, who also have written extremely illogical and boring books. I can only think that these people have egos that prevent them from hiring a ghost writer to help make such books more interesting and cohesive.

Hitler certainly could have used help. I think the book is still published only for some novelty value, people like me wondering at the irrationality of racism and wondering if there is some snippet of logic the man used to appeal to such a great number of people.

That wasn't it. There was no good reason. The German people at the time were hungry and desperate. I think if it had not been for that circumstance, Hitler would never have made it.

Perhaps the lesson of history is to keep a solid economy.

No, there is nothing wrong with reading anything that's controversial.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:51 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Note: Opinions are not facts.....

Anne west hit the nail on the head!
Ah, but you are forgetting that all opinions are not equal. It is the educated, informed opinion of literary critics, not a reactionary opinion, on how poorly written Mein Kampf is - I have read it in both German and in English translation and it doesn't improve in either language.

It is the uneducated opinion of certain racist groups or racist sympathizers that Mein Kampf is brilliant. Their opinion does not change the fact that Mein Kampf is poorly written and there is no one who is not a racist who would consider the ideas in Mein Kampf to have value.

All of which is entirely different from wanting to censor or ban Mein Kampf.

It isn't at all strange for people who are interested in history or in how it is that evil enters the world to be interested in reading the words of one of the most evil men in the world. That is an entirely different sort of reading of Mein Kampf than the reading racists make of the book.

So when a question like the OP's is posed, the answer isn't as simple as you think it is. As someone who reads books like Mein Kampf because the nature of evil interests me, I would at first glance think nothing of someone reading that or any similar book. But the minute someone reading such a book asks about it, then a question mark would immediately pop up in my head as to why he or she is asking and just what my answer is leading to because all motives in such questions are not always honest.

It is not possible to divorce the book from the fact of what Hitler did anymore than it is possible to divorce Hitler the Fuhrer from Hitler the Jew-killer and war-starter by saying but for that little thing he had against the Jews, he was a really great leader, as I have heard some people say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books