U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:26 AM

341 posts, read 222,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Okay, you made me curious and I looked it up. Not sure yet if I'll order it online, or head to the bookstore. What caught my attention in the Amazon review is that it said that at 800 plus pages, it was not too long. I just love books like that.
Me too! And nope it was not too long, in fact I was sorry to put it down when it came to the end. I think there's a sequel out there, but haven't checked yet. Currently reading some library books and trying to read what's actually on my shelf...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM

7,175 posts, read 7,272,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It's not like I pressured you into it or anything though, right?

Now I'm in a bit of a panic. Ketabcha, TracySam, and possibly you are going to read it, based on my saying how fabulous it is. Please remember: it's not a mainstream book. It's quirky and funky and clever and charming, but it's not "your typical story." OK, OK, it's fabulous.
Add me to the list. I just found a copy for $8.50 and it's on its way!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:28 AM

12,147 posts, read 11,105,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Add me to the list. I just found a copy for $8.50 and it's on its way!
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my gosh, the author is going to wonder why her sales have gone up so much this week! HAHAHA!! I love it! (But I'm terrified that some of you won't like it.)

Old 04-24-2012, 10:31 AM

For all of you who have ordered Come, Thou Tortoise based on my recommendation, please read it through. Some reviewers have said that they didn't like it until they were halfway done. Me? I loved it right from the start but, even if you don't, please persevere. It's so worth it.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 AM

8,697 posts, read 4,150,706 times
I just finished book two of a trilogy called, A horseman riding by" by RF Delderfield. The series is about the history of a large estate in Devon and all of it's very different types of people from just after the end of the Boer war to the 60's. Delderfield is such a great writer, very easy to read and he spins a great yarn. I know a book is good when there are over a hundred characters and you never have to go back and check who they are. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in 20th century history both political, social and historical.

I have read other books by this author and have liked them as well. "To serve them all of their days" is another one I especially enjoyed.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:42 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,702,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I just finished book two of a trilogy called, A horseman riding by" by RF Delderfield. The series is about the history of a large estate in Devon and all of it's very different types of people from just after the end of the Boer war to the 60's. Delderfield is such a great writer, very easy to read and he spins a great yarn. I know a book is good when there are over a hundred characters and you never have to go back and check who they are. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in 20th century history both political, social and historical.

I have read other books by this author and have liked them as well. "To serve them all of their days" is another one I especially enjoyed.
Never read the books but I remember the TV series they made out of Delderfield's novels back in the '80s. A Horseman Riding By was with Nigel Havers and To Serve Them All My Days was with the wonderful John Duttine.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 PM

7,175 posts, read 7,272,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
For all of you who have ordered Come, Thou Tortoise based on my recommendation, please read it through. Some reviewers have said that they didn't like it until they were halfway done. Me? I loved it right from the start but, even if you don't, please persevere. It's so worth it.
Don't worry. Even if I don't like it I won't hold you responsible. I like most of what you like and it does sound like something I'm going to enjoy.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 415 times
I also jumped on the bandwagon and ordered Come, Thou Tortoise

I was at a comic con last weekend to meet the great Stan Lee, and while standing in line I over heard a few teenagers talking about "Emotobooks" This peeked my interest and I asked them about it. They said it's some sort of new medium of fiction mainly for tablets. Now me being an old salty dog but still keeping up with technology, I looked into it. Did some research and found their main website on Google. Apparently they have 4 titles out right now, so I snagged the Sci-Fi one called "Swing Zone" -- Honestly... Best thing Ive read in the past year hands down. I really enjoyed it and my wife is reading it now and she seemed amused thus far and she isn't a real big reader. Not to shabby. Going to have to check out their other titles as well.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:51 PM

8,697 posts, read 4,150,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Never read the books but I remember the TV series they made out of Delderfield's novels back in the '80s. A Horseman Riding By was with Nigel Havers and To Serve Them All My Days was with the wonderful John Duttine.
A Horseman riding by was actually a CBC production. I can't seem to find it in their online archives. I'd really like to see it!

I'd like to see To serve them all my days also. It was such a great book I read it twice and that is a pretty rare thing for me to do.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DengarX View Post
I also jumped on the bandwagon and ordered Come, Thou Tortoise

AHHHHHH!!!!!! Please, please, please love it!

Really, I do hope that you enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books