Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 11:53 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times

Advertisements

Piers Anthony, in his Incarnations of Immortality series, wrote a wonderful book about time travel. Specifically his Bearing an Hourglass is a well crafted, well thought out depiction of Chronos aka Time. The real twist is that as Time, Chronos can only move backwards through time. He is also immune to temporal paradox.

I found the entire series beautifully done, and there is time travel woven throughout. But Bearing an Hourglass is in itself a masterpiece of time travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I agree with "The Time Traveler's Wife" taking a lot of concentration. I also think it takes about 75-80 pages to actually get into it.

With "Outlander", I remember starting it and thinking as I was reading "why was this raved about and recommended so highly?" It took a while to get into that one too, but once she goes back in time, I was hooked.
Really? I was hooked from the first chapter. I just liked the way she wrote so much, but my stepdaughter couldn't get into it while everyone else I recommended it to loved it. I think it might have to do with the age of the reader, and where the reader's life is at that moment. My stepdaughter was young and single, and had never heard of things like hot water geysers. She gave it up before Claire went back in time. I bet if she tried it again now that she's a little older and in a relationship, she'd probably like it more.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
There was a book written in 1978 by an author named Marlys Millheiser called "The Mirror". It was about a modern (well, in 1978 anyway) young woman who is switched with her grandmother, circa 1900, when they look into a "wedding mirror" on the eve before their weddings, 78 years apart. The book is in two parts - it tells the story of "Shay" (the granddaughter) coping with 1900 life in her grandmother's body, and "Brandy" coping with modern (1978) times in "Shay's" body. A very good read - I actually got it out of the library this past summer and read it for the fourth time.

Jude Devereaux wrote some really good time travel themed books - my two favorites are "A Night in Shining Armor", where a handsome young knight suddently appears in modern times (and the modern day heroine later goes back to HIS time). "The Summer House" is about three friends who, at age 40, are given the opportunity to relive a two week period of ANY time in their lives - and given the chance to let it change their lives.
Oh my God, I didn't think anyone else had ever heard of that book! I read that in 6th Grade because I was bored and my mom had recently got that book from her book of the month club. Being a young girl, I read that book over and over again. It is the reason I started liking time travel books, and turned me into a voracious reader. Up to that point, I read little kid books every once in a while, mostly because I had to. After that I became a heavy reader. I tried to find it on Amazon a few years ago, but I think it's out of print. It wasn't at the local library, but I found another Marys Millheiser book and it was pretty good too. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the title or the plot.

I'm sure a librarian might be able to locate a copy of The Mirror, even though it's out of print. It's worth it!

Last edited by katygirl68; 03-26-2013 at 10:18 PM..

Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
If you find (and like) "The Mirror", you may also like another book Marlys Millheiser wrote later - called "The Threshold". It also has a time travel theme - not "time travel" per se, but a sort of "communication" between a little girl in a mining town of the early 1900's (Millheiser's time travel books are set in Colorado), a "modern" woman, and a cat. This book was a very good read also. I always loved Marlys Millheiser's books ("Michael's Wife", Nella Waits"), but she seems to have faded from sight...
Nella Waits! That's the book I found at the library. I wonder what happened to her, and why her books didn't ever get any reprints. They were so good.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:27 PM

80 posts, read 112,283 times
At the risk of being accused of tooting my own horn, may I respectfully recommend AN ECHO THROUGH TIME? It's the story of a woman who finds a way to cross from her present time to Tombstone, AZ in 1881. There she encounters all the infamous Tombstone characters--Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday, Curly Bill, and inadvertantly touches off the gunfight at OK Corral.

A few libraries have the book. I think there are some used copies available on Amazon.

Jann in Arizona

Old 03-28-2013, 05:40 PM

76 posts, read 216,738 times
Two I would suggest, but your library probably already has copies of them:

And this one:

Also, you might try adding this sci-fi novel to your library, though it is not a time travel story:

Old 03-28-2013, 05:49 PM

76 posts, read 216,738 times
Quote:
Jann: "At the risk of being accused of tooting my own horn, may I respectfully recommend AN ECHO THROUGH TIME?"
Go ahead, Jann - toot your own book!

For everyone else, here's the cover of "An Echo Through Time"

"What forced Wyatt Earp into
the gunfight at OK Corral? Was it
to rescue a woman he had to
hide from the eyes of History...?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Oh my God, I didn't think anyone else had ever heard of that book! I read that in 6th Grade because I was bored and my mom had recently got that book from her book of the month club. Being a young girl, I read that book over and over again. It is the reason I started liking time travel books, and turned me into a voracious reader. Up to that point, I read little kid books every once in a while, mostly because I had to. After that I became a heavy reader. I tried to find it on Amazon a few years ago, but I think it's out of print. It wasn't at the local library, but I found another Marys Millheiser book and it was pretty good too. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the title or the plot.

I'm sure a librarian might be able to locate a copy of The Mirror, even though it's out of print. It's worth it!
The Mirror is one book I have to read every single year! My copy is so old that the pages have turned yellow and the cover has fallen off. I actually have the book in one of those hardback book covers made for paperbacks.

My time travel bug started in jr high (or possibly early high) school when I bought a book called Seven Steps to the Sun by Fred and Geoffrey Hoyle. I just read it recently and still enjoy it.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:11 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I was hooked from the first chapter. I just liked the way she wrote so much, but my stepdaughter couldn't get into it while everyone else I recommended it to loved it. I think it might have to do with the age of the reader, and where the reader's life is at that moment. My stepdaughter was young and single, and had never heard of things like hot water geysers.
Our book group of all different ages read The Time Traveler's Wife and about half the members loved it; the other half was either confused by it, couldn't follow the time leaps, or just flat out didn't like it (mainly the relationship between Claire and Henry). Like you, I thought the author was a brilliant writer. It's a book I enjoyed so much that I couldn't bear to see the movie....I was positive too much would be ruined when it was adapted to film.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:04 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books