Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 07:08 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,931 times

Advertisements

A Traveller In Time by Alison Uttley - a children's book but a classic. I loved reading this when I was younger and will probably re-read it again now I've thought about it!

A Traveller in Time - Alison Uttley - Google Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,931 times
And not forgetting Doctor Who of course! It's a TV series of course but I remember reading lots of the books (written by Terrance Dick and other authors) when I was younger and enjoying them immensely. Some are more "other worlds" rather than "other times" but there are many stories where The Doctor time travels within our world :-)

Doctor Who Books - Checklist

Old 04-07-2013, 12:18 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Oh wow, I had no idea this thread was still going! I don't visit this forum too often, and totally forgot about it.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, and I'll definitely add the intriguing ones to my list. Lately I haven't had time to read anything but the books for the book club I run (also have to keep up on YA titles for work), but every so often I manage to slip in a "personal choice."

Old 04-07-2013, 04:48 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I'm sure a librarian might be able to locate a copy of The Mirror, even though it's out of print. It's worth it!
I found it on WorldCat, at a library in the East Bay... might have to order that on ILL! (interlibrary loan)

Also some copies on eBay & Amazon, but it's probably cheaper to get it on loan. This is one of the cheapest copies for sale: http://compare.ebay.com/like/3606293...Types&var=sbar

Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Anyway, I absolutely love time travel-themed books...
The Dig by Siemsen is time travel with a twist.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As a librarian, I feel kinda funny asking for book suggestions on an internet forum - but even a doctor occasionally needs medical care, LOL. I could read some of my professional review sources or visit whatshouldireadnext.com, but really would prefer some PERSONAL recommendations from real people. Anyway, I absolutely love time travel-themed books, and just finished the excellent Replay by Ken Grimwood... now I'm trying to find something similar to read next. For those who aren't familiar with it, here's the synopsis from Amazon:

"Jeff Winston, forty-three, didn't know he was a replayer until he died and woke up twenty-five years younger in his college dorm room; he lived another life. And died again. And lived again and died again -- in a continuous twenty-five-year cycle -- each time starting from scratch at the age of eighteen to reclaim lost loves, remedy past mistakes, or make a fortune in the stock market. A novel of gripping adventure, romance, and fascinating speculation on the nature of time, Replay asks the question: "What if you could live your life over again?"

I've already read the obvious The Time Machine, and tried to read the popular Time Traveler's Wife and Time and Again, but just couldn't get into them. I also have 11/22/63 on my Kindle, but keep hearing it's a slow-paced story... and as much as I love Stephen King, I'm lacking the patience for 850p of plodding right now. Does anyone have another suggestion, whether it's classic or current? FYI, I'm not into the "Star Trek" or overly scientific type of sci-fi, if that makes any sense. TIA!
I just discovered this thread, and I'm elated: There are other people who know Replay! It has affected us (family) so much that we've been giving copies away to friends who have never heard of it. And last summer we explored the area around Montgomery Creek, CA where Jeff Winston's cabin stood. To my knowledge Replay is unique (unless you count the movie Groundhog Day). I really enjoy time travel stories, but I can only think of movie titles; as for the time travel trope in literature, I think it's been covered well in this thread.

Ken Grimwood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
At age 59, Grimwood died of a heart attack in his home in Santa Barbara, California. At the time of his death, he was writing a sequel to Replay.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:18 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,636 times
Two books not yet mentioned are "Eon" and its sequel "Eternity" by Greg Bear 1985 & 1989. An artificial world created several centuries in the future is accidently flipped back to our time. World War III ensues as the rival superpowers attempt to monopolise the technology of the apparently uninhabited structure. But that's just the beginning. Soon the world's owners arrive to take command of the chaos - they are no longer human. So begins an adventure into an almost unimaginable future ...

Old 10-07-2013, 12:28 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
Two books not yet mentioned are "Eon" and its sequel "Eternity" by Greg Bear 1985 & 1989. An artificial world created several centuries in the future is accidently flipped back to our time. World War III ensues as the rival superpowers attempt to monopolise the technology of the apparently uninhabited structure. But that's just the beginning. Soon the world's owners arrive to take command of the chaos - they are no longer human. So begins an adventure into an almost unimaginable future ...
Right, those are the stories with the giant wormhole structure through time and space, correct? And gates can be opened with a certain kind of instrument? Some of Bear's best works. And with funny moments, if I remember correctly: a time traveler tells a culture not to let anyone "mess with their heads," meaning their minds, and within a few generations it has morphed into a religion where nobody cuts or washes their hair because they're not supposed to mess with their heads!

Old 06-04-2014, 08:47 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Close Up the Sky by James Ferrell Close Up the Sky: Mr. James L. Ferrell: 9781480016620: Amazon.com: Books

The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley http://www.amazon.com/Rose-Garden-Su...sanna+Kearsley

Waterfall (River of Time, #1) by Lisa Tawn Bergren Amazon.com: Waterfall: A Novel (River of Time Series) eBook: Lisa T. Bergren: Books

Second Sight by David Williams [movie "The Two Worlds Of Jennie Logan" was based on this book]http://www.amazon.com/Second-Sight-D...David+Williams

An Extended Journey by Paul Sherman https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...tended-journey

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #1)by Ransom Riggs
http://www.amazon.com/Miss-Peregrine..._bxgy_b_text_y

Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children,#2) by Ransom Riggs
Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children): Ransom Riggs: 9781594746123: Amazon.com: Books

A Train Through Time by Bess McBride http://www.amazon.com/Train-Through-...1891189&sr=1-2

CLOCKWISE (The Clockwise series) by Lee Strauss Clockwise: Elle Strauss: 9781466440968: Amazon.com: Books

Timebound (The Chronos Files, Book 1) by Rysa Walker Timebound (The Chronos Files, Book 1): Rysa Walker: 9781477848159: Amazon.com: Books

The Atlantis Gene: A Thriller (The Origin Mystery, Book 1) by A.G. Riddle The Atlantis Gene: A Thriller (The Origin Mystery, Book 1): A.G. Riddle: 9781940026015: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 06-04-2014 at 09:04 AM..

Old 06-04-2014, 12:36 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
OK, read the whole thread and I don't remember seeing Lest Darkness Fall (1941) by L. Sprague de Camp mentioned.

An archaeologist is visiting the Pantheon in Rome in 1938. A thunderstorm arrives, lightning cracks, and he finds himself transported to 6th century Rome. He ends up 'inventing' all sorts of things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books