Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:12 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times

Advertisements

I want to thank everyone who replied. I feel much better now about purchasing one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I want to thank everyone who replied. I feel much better now about purchasing one.
I was going to jump in and post the same as others, I've never seen any highlighting in the hundreds of books I've purchased for my Kindle.

But, no need for that now so I'll say this:

You will be so happy with it. You will love it. Come back and tell us how many times you tried to turn the page when you first start reading and realize, it really DOES disappear.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:29 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
I can tell you that I bought my Husband and Son Kindles, and they love, love, love them!
Most people really seem to be so glad that they purchased them.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:23 AM

Well, I had yet another change of heart. I have been reading that if you lose your Kindle Fire or maybe it was the next model down, that you have no password protection. A thief would have access to your personal information and could buy whatever they wanted to from Amazon. Maybe I'll wait until they fix that problem with the next model.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Well, I had yet another change of heart. I have been reading that if you lose your Kindle Fire or maybe it was the next model down, that you have no password protection. A thief would have access to your personal information and could buy whatever they wanted to from Amazon. Maybe I'll wait until they fix that problem with the next model.
I don't think that something like that would stop me. You could lose your wallet. You could lose your house keys. We are always at risk -- it just makes sense to be more cautious.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
You can deregister the device from your account in "Manage Your Kindle" on the Amazon website. Once deregistered, whoever has your Kindle can not buy anything with your account. So only if they get a hold of it before you can deregister it can they buy anything with it.

Also, I'm not sure about the Kindle Fire but the eInk devices contain no personal information - you can buy ebooks with them (or other digital content) but you can't view your card details or password or anything like that so no one would have access to that. I imagine the Fire is the same.

As for ebooks, Kindle have a 7 day return policy so you can get a refund on any ebooks someone else buys within 7 days of their purchase. This may also apply to other digital content but I'm not sure.

There are Kindle users who have lost their Kindles or had them stolen and as far as I've always heard, everything has gotten resolved. It's not really a big reason not to buy a Kindle. I don't know who is feeding you this information but they sound a little misinformed.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I don't know who is feeding you this information but they sound a little misinformed.
It is the 1,714 people on Amazon that give the Kindle Fire one star in their reviews, the 366 who give the Kindle DX one star and the 1,621 that give the Kindle 3G one star. I figure with all of the competition now, they will fix those problems in the next model.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:57 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times
Quote:
It is the 1,714 people on Amazon that give the Kindle Fire one star in their reviews, the 366 who give the Kindle DX one star and the 1,621 that give the Kindle 3G one star. I figure with all of the competition now, they will fix those problems in the next model.
I'm sure not all of those reviews are specifically about security issues. There are always going to be people who don't like ANY product. If you're waiting for one that has no negative reviews, you'll be waiting forever.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:07 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
The Kindle e-ink/e-readers (Kindle 1, Kindle 2, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, Kindle DX) are linked to your Amazon account but can only purchase ebooks to be delivered to the device. As another poster mentioned, all you have to do is deregister the device if it is lost or stolen and then it is no longer linked to your account.

The Kindle Fire, which is a tablet, is linked to your Amazon account and can be used to purchase things other than just books. I'm not as familiar with the Fire, as I don't really have any use for one.

A lot of the negative reviews of the various e-ink/e-reader Kindles are, irritatingly enough, from people who don't even have one but want to protest the very existence of the device. Or are from people who thought it would be in color (it clearly states it is not), or who thought it would be backlit (it clearly states it is not).

Old 06-06-2012, 08:35 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,087 times
On another note, I have both a Kindle & an iPad. Once I starting using the Kindle app on the iPad, there was no going back! The Kindle technology sucks (not intuitive, hard to navigate, & sluggish) compared to the iPad. I do like the size & weight, but that isn't enough. Mine is in a drawer somewhere. While I do love holding a book in my hands, and very little no eye strain (compared to the e-devices), I do love not having to store more books.

Back to the original topic, I've never seen highlighting on a book, and don't use the feature myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books