Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:28 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times

Advertisements

I hate paperbacks that include 30 pages of book reviews, author chat, sneak peak at the author's book..... at the end of the book. As I'm nearing the end of a book I try to pace myself so that I can enjoy the end. It completely throws me off when I think I have an eighth of an inch of pages to go only to find out that it is just end of book fluff and my real book has suddenly ended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 12:16 AM

995 posts, read 1,115,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Unfortunately, it is. I might be wrong, but I don't think Nora Roberts writes all of hers, either, what with the J.D. Robb books on top of all the others. I'd be surprised if Danielle Steel did, too. I haven't read a book by either in 15, 20 years. They all sound the same after a while.
Nora Roberts writes all of them. She writes every day 8 to 5, she writes on vacations, she never stops writing as far as I can figure it lol.
Please don't be mislead by the many many re-releases of her really old series stuff by Harlequin/Silhouette. Her newer books have the NR seal on the front. There are two JD Robb books every year, a hardcover stand-alone novel, and whatever volume of the trilogy or quartet she's in the middle of, every six months.

Fan website that NR posts on frequently: A Day without French Fries ... for readers of Nora Roberts & JD Robb

And this leads me into...why don't publishers put a little note on the front of reprints. Like "An old favorite brought to you again" or "Third in the successful series written by Famous Author"
It's so annoying to try a new-to-me author, only to find out this is the middle of a series, but the first books are out of print. This happens a great deal in SF/Fantasy.

Last edited by AnneWest; 07-03-2012 at 12:25 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 12:38 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Self-publishing. 99.9% of it is shlock. The remaining .1% is shlock that somehow managed to sell, like 50 Shades of Garbage.
^This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Yes, too many famous "authors" have given up writing and just become a "franchise."
^This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I hate paperbacks that include 30 pages of book reviews, author chat, sneak peak at the author's book..... at the end of the book. As I'm nearing the end of a book I try to pace myself so that I can enjoy the end. It completely throws me off when I think I have an eighth of an inch of pages to go only to find out that it is just end of book fluff and my real book has suddenly ended.
^And usually this. Sometimes I've been pleasantly surprised in by an afterward.

Dummies books don't bother me - Chicken Soup books bother the crap out of me. Or maybe it is people who think Chicken Soup books make good gifts as a kind of generic thing to get for someone who reads. Although I would be gracious of course. But the books still bother the crap out of me.

Oh, and strangely garish, out-of-place book covers that bear no resemblance to what is written in the book itself.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:59 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
One more thing - Classic children's books like Ramona the Pest, with classic illustrations that are then republished with a cartoony, poorly done cover that doesn't reflect the character nearly as well as the original illustrations did.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:24 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Books with typos.

Books that have obvious inaccuracies regarding things like locations and settings.
Agree!! Also when character names are incorrectly used. Reading one now where what is happening is related to the male character but given the female character's name.

I also hate when people dog ear the pages instead of using bookmarks. There are so many awesome bookmarks out there and so many other options to use for a bookmark rather than doing that. Seriously, find a picture not in a frame and use it, use a receipt, a recipe card, something!

Old 07-05-2012, 01:46 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
I actually like all the extras at the beginning or end of a book --- a new Intro by the author, an author interview, an excerpt from another book, etc. It's like the "Special Features" on a DVD.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:30 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
To take that analogy a little farther...
If the extras in books were actually "special features" then I would like them (maps of the story, an interview with the author, book club discussion topics).

But I don't like coming attractions and comercials! Don't like them in books, don't like them on DVDs, but they seem to appear on both.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:36 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
Another thing I hate:

Quotes and reviews that appear on the cover and inside a book, but that aren't for THAT book, but some other book the author wrote. Then in small print it says that the quote was for the other book.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:46 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,468,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I also hate when people dog ear the pages instead of using bookmarks. There are so many awesome bookmarks out there and so many other options to use for a bookmark rather than doing that. Seriously, find a picture not in a frame and use it, use a receipt, a recipe card, something!
People who do that should be publicly flogged. You know it's the same people who deliberately crack a book's spine just to get it lay flat. How hard is it to rest something heavy enough to hold the pages down without permanently damaging it?

I hate books that don't come with a blurb describing the content, but merely list a series of quotes from reviews! How does that help me decide whetheror not to read it?

Old 07-05-2012, 07:51 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
My ears are burning. I am a page-bender. That's how I find quotes that interest me, even years later. But I only bend the pages of books I own, if that helps prevent a public flogging of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books