Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times

Advertisements

It did not wow me as much as I had hoped for, but I enjoyed the character development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 09:40 PM

270 posts, read 487,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
bet you a nickle that it is like nothing you've ever read before. . . . .a most surprising book!
That's what I loved about it! It's definitely not formulaic in any way!

And as a warning if you haven't read it...you probably won't like EITHER of the main characters, which seems to be the only complaint I've read about the book (well, that and the ending...which wasn't a super ending, but actually made sense for the characters). I'm actually not sure why you need to like the characters anyway, since I'm usually reading to take me away from life, not to relate to it more

Old 08-25-2012, 01:36 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
I really liked this book waaay more than I expected to. Glad I read it.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:11 PM

301 posts, read 823,439 times
I hated the book, then loved it, then hated it again - then almost threw my Kindle at the wall over the ending - then decided it was the only one that made sense. The story is twisty and twisted, wrong and right, all at the same time. Very glad I read it - it is a very good story.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:09 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
I just bought it recently, after it was mentioned on another thread here. It's next on my list...
But I've bought a few others based on C-D recommendations, so I have about 3 that are "next on my list." As soon as I finish my current book, I'll spin the wheel and see if this one comes up.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:16 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
I hated the book, then loved it, then hated it again - then almost threw my Kindle at the wall over the ending - then decided it was the only one that made sense. The story is twisty and twisted, wrong and right, all at the same time. Very glad I read it - it is a very good story.
I pretty much agree with everything you said. I am going to read more books by this author.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:19 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
That's what I loved about it! It's definitely not formulaic in any way!

And as a warning if you haven't read it...you probably won't like EITHER of the main characters, which seems to be the only complaint I've read about the book (well, that and the ending...which wasn't a super ending, but actually made sense for the characters). I'm actually not sure why you need to like the characters anyway, since I'm usually reading to take me away from life, not to relate to it more
agreed, the characters are not particularly likeable, but the story is just so "surprising". . ..

Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,931 times
I thought "Gone Girl" was extremely well written - the author really gets under the skin of her characters and the dialogue is very crisp - I really felt she brought the main protagonists, thoroughly dislikeable as both are, to life very well.

There were just a couple of sections and one character that I felt was a little "plastic" but I think these only jarred because the rest of the writing is so good.

I would add that I also read "Sharp Objects" before I read "Gone Girl" - and "Gone Girl" is a much, MUCH better book!

Old 01-12-2013, 02:32 PM

7,365 posts, read 5,479,265 times
I read the other two books by Jillian Flynn, Sharp Objects and Dark Places, and I actually liked Dark Places better than Gone Girl. once I find an author I like I usually read everything they put out.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 AM

551 posts, read 1,573,849 times
I agree with everyone else. This book was fabulously written and had so many twists and turns that I did not want it to end. I have never read a book like this before.
I read a lot ( about 6 books a month) and I did not want this one to end. I hope she writes more like this one. I highly recommend it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books