Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,333,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Do you have a Goodwill Store close by? I donate the books I don't keep or give away to Goodwill. Lots of folks in this forum have mentioned finding good deals on good books at Goodwill. Also, before I got Boris the Kindle I would order books I wanted that were for sale by Goodwill via amazon. They always shipped quickly and I know they appreciated the business.

When I was doing my field work in college (social work) I did mine at The Am. Red Cross. The others who were doing field work were stationed at various places and I drove the car with all of us in it and I would drop them off at their destinations. On the way back to campus ( a 45 minute drive on the highway) we would discuss what we had done that day and the girl who was stationed at Goodwill always had a lot to say and I was blown away by what a good organization it is. That's why they get my books and my amazon business.
Yes, we have a Goodwill as well as Savers and the Savlation Army Thrift Shop. There is also the Friends of the Library used book store and another thrift shop I've never been to. I try to find other places to donate as well though. My grandma lived in a senior high rise and I know they appreciated books getting donated to them. Since she is no longer alive and I'm no longer in that city, I haven't looked into finding a place here. If I ever remember to get my stuff together, I plan to look into whether or not the Ronald McDonald House would like any books donated. I know I've seen hospitals sell used books in their gift shops too. I like to spread the love and not just give to one organization.

ETA: FWIW, the books my sister gives me are all bought in bookstores. She rarely buys books in used books stores/thrift shops. My choices are my own and I don't have to justify shopping at used book stores/thrift shops. (Ketabcha, that statement is not directed at you.)

Last edited by fromupthere; 08-21-2012 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 10:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,887,193 times
I will be the first to admit that I never buy books at book stores -- whether they're mom-and-pop operations or big-box stores. I buy my books at Goodwill or thrift stores or from Amazon resellers -- all USED books. I also buy books on my Kindle, but those are never for newly released books at their highest prices. I typically get my Kindle books from the library.

It's not that I don't want to support those stores -- it's not that at all -- but I like to shop from home, at my laptop, for the most part. And, well, I'm not made of money. Although I do spend a lot of money -- or so it feels like -- on books, I shop frugally. I simply cannot afford to plunk down $15 or $20 on a new book. Maybe if you saw my house and what I spend on my dog (for food, for treats, for toys) and my car, you'd say that I could afford it. And you'd probably be right -- so I'll change "afford" to "justify" : I can't justify plunking down $15 or $20 on a book.

Think poorly of me if you want to, but I won't spend big bucks on a book that I'll read once... and might not even enjoy.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I will be the first to admit that I never buy books at book stores -- whether they're mom-and-pop operations or big-box stores. I buy my books at Goodwill or thrift stores or from Amazon resellers -- all USED books. I also buy books on my Kindle, but those are never for newly released books at their highest prices. I typically get my Kindle books from the library.

It's not that I don't want to support those stores -- it's not that at all -- but I like to shop from home, at my laptop, for the most part. And, well, I'm not made of money. Although I do spend a lot of money -- or so it feels like -- on books, I shop frugally. I simply cannot afford to plunk down $15 or $20 on a new book. Maybe if you saw my house and what I spend on my dog (for food, for treats, for toys) and my car, you'd say that I could afford it. And you'd probably be right -- so I'll change "afford" to "justify" : I can't justify plunking down $15 or $20 on a book.

Think poorly of me if you want to, but I won't spend big bucks on a book that I'll read once... and might not even enjoy.
Thank you!!! I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,528,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
If I have to choose between buying new clothes or buying books (new or used or ebook versions), I will choose the books 99% of the time! I actually feel sorry for people who never discovered the pleasures of reading!
I SO agree!
I bought clothes for everyone last Christmas. For myself, I bought six books.

I live in a small city (pop is less than 2000) and do most of my book shopping at St Vincent's, and online. I bought all six books last Christmas online; five of these were used and I got all of them for less than $15.00. The last one was Stephen King's 11/22/63 which I bought brand new. I originally paid $16.50 total for the book, but had problems with the shipping and had $5.00 taken off for the inconvenience. Not a bad deal on a brand new book that is a keeper.
When I lived in the big city I loved to browse book stores in malls. I didn't get to do this as often as I would have liked - no one wanted to take me shopping anywhere near a bookstore. I am serious, they avoided malls with me because I would find the bookstore and be lost for over an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
When I think of a perfect family evening I recall my childhood with the four of us discussing everything under the sun at the dinner table, watching a bit of TV and settling into the living room with each of us reading. We would go as a family to the base library where all four of us would check out the maximum number of books allowed, four, and riding home with great expectations. We did that every 2 weeks for years. I can't think of a more perfect childhood and it has carried on into adulthood for both my sister and me.

Yes, I am addicted to books and I never want to be cured. I tend to have an addictive personality and books are my addiction of choice. Don't sign me up for a 12 step program. I want to live in this addiction forever and a day.
What a nice memory to have and to hold.

My family did the dinner and discussion thing daily. We were a large (9) family so discussions flowed everywhere - sometimes it was hard to listen to all of them at once.
We didn't do the library - that was my passion. I found the downtown library when I was a kid and I was in heaven taking the bus (alone) and getting my share of books every two weeks. I was 12.

My family took drives every single weekend of the year. We lived in New England at the time and we learned all about our area in all the seasons.
We camped every summer. One summer we spent a month touring all of New England. We drove, stopped someplace cool and set up camp for a day or so. After exploring that area we moved on. It was the most fantastic vacation ever!
My parents were readers, but they figured real life experience was worth more than reading. They did not push any of us to read, but we all learned.
I have used those early childhood experiences in my writings in more ways than one.

As for your second paragraph there - well count me in your club! NO 12 step program for me (unless it is a 12 book series!) as I am too addicted now to stop.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:18 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,520,260 times
I'm a reader and a book lover too, although I don't accumulate books. I just keep the ones I may want to read again and pass the others along to book sales that donate the proceeds to charity or our town's "Friends of the Library" organization that uses the money to get things for the library that isn't in their budget. I think books should be out there circulating and being read, not sitting on my shelf. Mostly the ones I keep are gardening reference, cookbooks and some medical type reference books. My hubby loves to read about the Civil War so those books stay.

I am so glad that many here had good things to say about Goodwill Stores. I have a son with a disability and he works at our local Goodwill. They are very good to him and he loves having the job.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:27 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,887,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I am so glad that many here had good things to say about Goodwill Stores. I have a son with a disability and he works at our local Goodwill. They are very good to him and he loves having the job.
Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:49 PM

995 posts, read 1,110,078 times
I completely understand the feelings against buying books when they're new and paying the high prices that are crazy nowadays. It's even worse if you end up not liking a book. I used to own a used book store, but I did carry a limited amount of new books.

...but...
Do you have favorite authors, that you want to grab on sight? That you can't wait to read another one, and you wished they would just write faster? Those used books were a great deal for you. The author didn't get one penny, though.
How many authors have you read in the past, that you wondered why they just haven't had anything new in so long? They need support from their fans, or they have to stop writing, or have to get a day job since sales can't support their craft.
Pick your favorite authors and try to buy their books whenever you can! They can't write without you.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
I completely understand the feelings against buying books when they're new and paying the high prices that are crazy nowadays. It's even worse if you end up not liking a book. I used to own a used book store, but I did carry a limited amount of new books.

...but...
Do you have favorite authors, that you want to grab on sight? That you can't wait to read another one, and you wished they would just write faster? Those used books were a great deal for you. The author didn't get one penny, though.
How many authors have you read in the past, that you wondered why they just haven't had anything new in so long? They need support from their fans, or they have to stop writing, or have to get a day job since sales can't support their craft.
Pick your favorite authors and try to buy their books whenever you can! They can't write without you.
My favorite authors are the ones I buy new.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:38 AM

5,503 posts, read 6,225,071 times
I love books, they take me to a private place that is mine alone. I also write all the time and self-published an Italian Cookbook a few years ago.

My husband even made me bookshelves for all the books that I love. I have my Nook with all of James Patterson's Novels & buy a lot of them at the Salvation Army for my expansive Library. We both go to the Library every week too. This Sat. the Library has it Annual book sale, all books for .50
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books