Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 PM

220 posts, read 282,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Midge - you need to take a trip to Savannah. I have only been once but it is a city of charm. Loved visiting the Juliet Lowe House and another historical mansion, walking on the waterfront etc. You might like to read "Savannah" by Eugenia Price and several other of her historical novels that are set there. Because of her books we took a trip there and stayed 3 nights on our way to "The Golden Isles of Georgia". I'm so glad I discovered her books which led to our trip. The year we went it was late October and I remember swimming in the pool at the place we stayed on Jekyl Island. Not crowded at that time of year and very pretty.
I am definitely going to take a trip there before we move from North Carolina! We only live 5 1/2 hours away which is way too close to not have visited yet. I just want to walk around the historic district and take in the charm of the city. I definitely want to visit Jim Williams's Mercer House and see its beauty and of course where the murder happened. I'll have to ask you for tips when the time comes! I've been able to make a few trips into South Carolina in the year plus that we've lived here and I just love it. I really wish I would have known better and asked my husband to put his first choice duty station as MCAS Beaufort so we could be stationed there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times
I have close relatives in the Raleigh NC area and we still haven't been there to visit. Hope to do that soon. We have been to Charleston SC and loved that too. Of course coming from New England it is all very different for us. We don't travel that much now that airfares have increased but still try to get away once a year. Our last trip was to DC which is our very favorite place to go. I think we have been about 6 times and there is still lots we haven't done or seen. I never tire of it.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I have close relatives in the Raleigh NC area and we still haven't been there to visit. Hope to do that soon. We have been to Charleston SC and loved that too. Of course coming from New England it is all very different for us. We don't travel that much now that airfares have increased but still try to get away once a year. Our last trip was to DC which is our very favorite place to go. I think we have been about 6 times and there is still lots we haven't done or seen. I never tire of it.
We live about 2 hours away from Raleigh and I love to visit. I'm used to bigger cities so it's nice to go there for a "big" city feel. We did a long weekend in Charleston and I loved it! We shelled out the extra money to stay downtown and we could walk to everything. It was great. I haven't gotten up to DC yet since we've been here but I used to live 45 minutes away from it so I visited often. The history is amazing - a great town, although a little more chaotic if you live there.

Does anyone know of good books about or based around Charleston, SC, or coastal North Carolina? I think Nicholas Sparks might be, but I'm not interested in his books. Any good history books? Thanks!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
Does anyone know of good books about or based around Charleston, SC, or coastal North Carolina? I think Nicholas Sparks might be, but I'm not interested in his books. Any good history books? Thanks!
Many of Pat Conroy's books are set in South Carolina. "South of Broad" is set in Charleston as is "Lords of Discipline" (at the Citadel). Another good one of his is "The Water is Wide" which is a memoir about his days as a teacher in a two room school house on an island off the SC coast.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Many of Pat Conroy's books are set in South Carolina. "South of Broad" is set in Charleston as is "Lords of Discipline" (at the Citadel). Another good one of his is "The Water is Wide" which is a memoir about his days as a teacher in a two room school house on an island off the SC coast.
Thank you! I'll look those books up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books