Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 06:55 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,111,105 times

Advertisements

You might also take a look at some, not all, of Charles de Lindt's books. He may be writing for a slightly older audience, but a few of his books remind me of the Potter books. de Lindt is Canadian, and very, very clever in his fantasy development. He also has a website where you can review the plots and determine whether any are appropriate for a ten year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 07:07 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,504 times
I am 38 and cannot express how much I enjoyed Harry Potter. I was actually depressed after I read the last Harry Potter book - I had read them all over the course of a month or two. I actually couldn't read anything for a couple of months, because I knew that it would be a long time before I would enjoy anything that much. I would recommend that your son just dive into some various fantasy and sci-fi books, with the realization that few things will compare with the magic of Harry Potter.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:18 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,450,793 times
Another great series of books is the "Dragon Keeper" trilogy by Carole Wilkinson. It is very well written and my daughter and I enjoyed it tremendously.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:36 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,124 times
Have you tried the Pendragon series by DJ MacHale? Bobby Pendragon, a typical, surburban 14-year-old, is unexpectedly informed that he is a "Traveler", one of a select group of individuals who must travel through time and dimensions(?) in order to save existence. The series follows his adventures as he finds himself thrown into completely baffling situations and cultures and having to figure out where he is... and why he's there. Reminds me of a Quantum Leap for young teens.

I believe there are 7 books in the series.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:03 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,122 times
Percy Jackson & the Olympians - AWESOME series! Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Septimus Heap - Septimus Heap

Bruce Coville writes great fantasy. I've read his Unicorn books - can't wait for the new one! The Official Bruce Coville Homepage

Tunnels & Deeper by Rick Gordon & Brian Williams Amazon.com: Tunnels (Book 1): Roderick Gordon, Brian Williams: Books

The Dark Is Rising series - my first fantasy books and just AWESOME. I still reread them 25 years later (I'm 35)! (it's NOTHING like the movie that came out) The Dark Is Rising Sequence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brandon Mull's Fablehaven Series - Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

Sisters Grimm series - perfect for a 10 year old. Two sisters find out they are decendants of the Brothers Grimm whose fairy tales were actually real stories. The Sisters Grimm: by Michael Buckley : Amulet Books

A new series which is pretty good: The Hound of Rowan - Amazon.com: The Hound of Rowan: Book One of The Tapestry: Henry H. Neff: Books

Old 06-29-2008, 02:19 PM

193 posts, read 812,443 times
I didn't see the "Books of Ember" trilogy by Jeanne DePrau mentioned. Amazon link
Amazon.com: The City of Ember (Books of Ember): Jeanne DuPrau: Books
I really enjoyed them, though I didn't finish the last one. I guess they're also making a moving a City of Ember movie.

Were you referring to the "Children of the Red King" series when you mentioned the Bones? Because the Charlie Bone books are fantastic, personally I liked them better than the Harry Potter books I've read (granted I've only read the first 3 HP books so far).

The William Sleator books look good, our school library has several of them. Some are sci-fi, some are creepy.

Sometimes just browsing wikipedia or amazon by category can help you find great new books that you haven't heard of or read yet.

Also, "Birdwing" by Rafe Martin is an excellent book, though there are a couple scenes that may be considered inappropriate.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:09 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
He's a perfect age to start the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz; middle school age boys eat this up.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 AM

485 posts, read 1,952,684 times
"A Series of Unfortunate Events"!

Sly, snide fun-adults love it too(I sure do!).

Though I was reading Mike Hammer at that age....

Old 07-01-2008, 11:08 AM

Not to forget St. Euxpery's "The Little Prince", perhaps the most charming bit of writing in history-everyone can enjoy that one!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:40 PM

And how could I forget the madcap antics of "The Borribles".

Seek them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books