Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 06:39 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times

Advertisements

I've tried and failed several times to read Moby Dick. I want to like it, but I just can't. After a few minutes of reading my mind is always somewhere else, and eventually I realize I'm no longer even reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 06:44 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post
8--Sylvia Plath
I completely disagree. I think she was a brilliant writer.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:24 AM

65 posts, read 97,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I completely disagree. I think she was a brilliant writer.
Sylvia Plath's works inspired me to write confessional poems.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post
1--Ernest Hemingway

2--Charles Bukowski

3--Gabriel Garcia Marques

4--Dan Brown

5--James Patterson

6--Herman Melville

7--Emily Bronte

8--Sylvia Plath
agreed, except #s 1, 3, and 8!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:33 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivronOrl View Post
agreed, except #s 1, 3, and 8!
'For Whom The Bell Tolls' is easily one of the best novels of the 20th Century. I still don't know what Hemingway is doing on a list with Dan Brown

Did anybody anywhere ever really rate Dan Brown?

Old 11-25-2012, 10:48 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
James Michener. I've always thought a hallmark of a good writer is being able to convey the meaning clearly in as few words as possible.
I agree with you. Then again, I only read Poland and nearly died of boredom.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
'For Whom The Bell Tolls' is easily one of the best novels of the 20th Century. I still don't know what Hemingway is doing on a list with Dan Brown

Did anybody anywhere ever really rate Dan Brown?
agreed! i also adore The Sun Also Rises and his short stories like The Killers, A Clean, Well-lighted Place, and Hills Like White Elephant. I wonder why Hemingway and Plath are frequently mentioned.,

Old 11-26-2012, 09:08 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,821,768 times
I don't understand why Fitzgerald is popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Are all objectivists socially inept narcissists? Discuss... Whoops, think that might have been 'The Virtue Of Selfishness'.
Thank you for that display of social competence.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:34 PM

101 posts, read 249,744 times
Stephen King.

I completely admit he is a good writer. I love the way he develops his stories. I even have his books on my shelves, especially the short stories. But I hate his monsters!

When I read a Stephen King book: Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God... I can't believe I'm all alone....

When I reach the last pages: Huh? That's supposed to be scary? Uhm.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Shakespeare. This will be easy to misunderstand, so I will be as clear as possible. I do not view Shakespeare as a bad writer. He is rather obviously a major writer, an astute student of human behavior, and a high achiever in the writing of both poetry and plays. He is an excellent writer. But the thread title asks for opinions about "overrated authors".

So let's look at Shakespeare's rating; he is rated as one of a small handful of the greatest writers of all time, in any language. Such serious and thoughtful academic critics as Harold Bloom rate him as the greatest writer who has written in the English language.

I just do not concur, although I admit that I have not read one-tenth as much as Harold Bloom. However, I think it is understood that we posters here are not (with perhaps the very rare exception) Ph.D.'s in literature; we are just people who like to read and who are sharing our opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books