Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,964,289 times

Advertisements

I like reading Shakespeare's plays more than seeing them.

The beauty of the language makes me want to re-read passages and savor them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 02:20 PM

15,488 posts, read 15,465,847 times
No, not me. I guess I must be very dull-witted and unimaginative, because when I see a play, I'm always amazed at all the things that escaped me while reading. (Most blatantly in Shakespeare, of course.) I'm always thinking, "Oh, that was meant to be a joke?"

Old 12-24-2012, 11:46 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,964,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
No, not me. I guess I must be very dull-witted and unimaginative, because when I see a play, I'm always amazed at all the things that escaped me while reading.
You are nothing of the kind! People take in things differently, that's all.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:35 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,782,516 times
Cross of Iron the film was superior to the book.

Little Big Man the film was superior to the book.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:37 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,099,601 times
Films better than the book:

Princess Bride
Forrest Gump
Fried Green Tomatoes (and I usually love FF's work)
I prefer any work of Shakespeare's in performance over paper.

I think Prince of Tides was a way better book than a movie. But maybe it's cuz I couldn't stand the actors and I feel like there was too much internal monologue to make a movie better than a book in that case.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:07 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,228,412 times
I really enjoyed reading Thornton Wilder's play, "Our Town" more that I enjoyed the movies. I liked the movies but reading the play made it all seem so much more personal.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:54 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,130,078 times
The Namesake: I found the book to be quite dry but I really enjoyed the movie.
Sarah's Key: The book was really good but they also did a great job with the movie. Sometimes seeing things brings out more emotion than reading it.
Water for Elephants: I really enjoyed the book but am not a big fan of language and the movie was just as good without any of that. The visuals were spectacular.
I've heard that Life of Pi is just as good if not better than the book so now i'm debating wether to read it or not.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:57 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,882,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I've heard that Life of Pi is just as good if not better than the book so now i'm debating wether to read it or not.
I read Life of Pi and loved it. I never -- ok, rarely -- see movies that are made from books. However, my husband wanted to see Life of Pi, so we went. It's a good movie, but the book is so much better. SO MUCH better. Why? Because Pi is alone so much of the time, and the book tells what he's feeling, what he's thinking, etc... Sure, the movie has narration, but it's just not the same. And even though everyone said that the animation is terrific, that you think it's a real tiger, I wasn't impressed. I much preferred how I imagined the scenes as I read the book.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:51 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,014,956 times
Has anyone read 'Horseman, Pass' by Larry McMurty? Now this is a difficult comparison because the film 'Hud' expands upon one character in the book and builds the plot around him whereas in the book there is greater emphasis on the other characters.

However 'Hud' contains perhaps Paul Newman's most fully realised performance and is probably my favourite Paul Newman role. Great film.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM

37,745 posts, read 40,814,062 times
Except for one book made into a movie that stands out in my mind, my disappointment is that I picture the people I'm reading about when I read the book and if they cast an actor that I consider really off for that character I pictured, I'm usually disappointed. The casting isn't wrong. I just pictured a completely different type when I was reading.

Unrelated, I thought the book "Six Days of The Condor" was excellent/very exciting. So what does Hollywood do? They make a movie based on the book and call it "Three Days of The Condor." Jeez, that's the way to kill a movie before it even opens in the theater - announce you're shaving 3 days off the story right there in the movie title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books