Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 09:52 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,915,953 times

Advertisements

I have recently become interested in the genre of urban fantasy. I have a coworker who has told me about some, however, most seem to be either vampire books or seem to be written more for a female audience or young adult (and still mostly female) audience. Are there are any that anyone can recommend that are not written with that audience in mind? The idea of these books sound interesting, I'm just not interested in love stories or vampires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 PM

995 posts, read 1,114,569 times
I really liked Lev Grossman. Harry Potter meets Narnia, but not for kids, if that makes any sense lol.

The Magicians: A Novel: Lev Grossman: 9780452296299: Amazon.com: Books

The Magician King: A Novel (The Magicians): Lev Grossman: 9780452298019: Amazon.com: Books

Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 AM

7,293 posts, read 9,307,723 times
I think Jim Butcher is one of the best known writers of urban fantasy. I read a couple of his books and don't recall a vampire, or a romance in them. And Tad Williams has a book out, The Dirty Streets of Heaven which is also urban fantasy, meant to be book one of a trilogy. Again, no vampires or romance.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,666,415 times
Perhaps something by Charles DeLint? One of his main characters is female, but there is more action than romance happening.

Not sure how urban you seek, the setting is often varied through out the stories and its hard to tell what 'time' things take place but Piers Anthony series, Incarnations of Immortality is a great set of books.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,812,339 times
Charles Stross's The Laundry Files series, 6 books, starting with The Atrocity Archives.
Tim Pratt's Marla Mason books, 7 books in the series, starting with Blood Engines
Mike Carey's Felix Caster books, 5 in the series, starting with The Devil You Know.
Kevin Hearn's Iron Druid series, 6 books starting with Hounded.
Harry Connolly"s Twenty Palaces books, 4 in the series, starting with Child of Fire.

The Marla Mason, Felix Caster and Twenty Palaces books are pretty dark. The Laundry Files are an amusing combination of magic, IT, science, spies, HP Lovecraft and quasi-secret British agencies.

It is true that the genre has been flooded by quasi-romance books (where the romance is as important as the main plot), something I don't appreciate, either. The YA thing doesn't bother me as much - I am currently reading Mister Monday by Garth Nix (a series with a book for every day of the week), and enjoying it.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 02-25-2013 at 10:01 AM..

Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 AM

589 posts, read 1,346,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think Jim Butcher is one of the best known writers of urban fantasy. I read a couple of his books and don't recall a vampire, or a romance in them.
Lots of Vampires in the Harry Dresden books. The Red Court, the White Court. Still, Dresden is definitely not a 'chick lit' type of urban fantasy, my husband likes them more than I do. (which is saying something, cause I've read all of the Dresden books).

There's also the Repairman Jack series from F. Paul Wilson. Most definitely NOT female-centric. They are action stories with urban fantasy thrown in, rather than urban fantasies with some action. Once you read them, you'll know what I mean.

You might also like the Felix Gomez books from Mario Acevedo. A bit heavy on the humor and the smut, but not the drippy romance laden books that are more common in this area.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:50 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,915,953 times
Thanks for the information and please keep it coming if anyone knows of others. I don't mind if the main character is a heroine, I just don't want to read one that is a romance novel in disguise or a focus on vampires (too trendy right now).

Old 02-26-2013, 08:26 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,317,808 times
Most of the titles by Charles de Lint, though I think Dreams Underfoot was the first of his urban fantasies.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:24 AM

7,293 posts, read 9,307,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieM View Post
Lots of Vampires in the Harry Dresden books. The Red Court, the White Court. Still, Dresden is definitely not a 'chick lit' type of urban fantasy, my husband likes them more than I do. (which is saying something, cause I've read all of the Dresden books).

There's also the Repairman Jack series from F. Paul Wilson. Most definitely NOT female-centric. They are action stories with urban fantasy thrown in, rather than urban fantasies with some action. Once you read them, you'll know what I mean.

You might also like the Felix Gomez books from Mario Acevedo. A bit heavy on the humor and the smut, but not the drippy romance laden books that are more common in this area.
Then it's maybe my faulty memory or I read the books that don't have vampires in them. (I've only read two. Keep meaning to read more but haven't gotten around to it.)

I agree with you about the Repairman Jack books by Wilson.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:44 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,321,653 times
Anyone discovered a new urban fantasy series? I'm working my way through the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch and having a very nice time. I've read the Dresden File, Iron Druid and Nightside books and am always on the lookout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books