Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 02:51 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times

Advertisements

The Thornbirds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times
Anything in the last 50 years?

Old 02-26-2013, 05:02 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,834 times
Sorry, my only rec is from about 110 years ago... fans of Downton Abbey would love this:

Amanda/Miranda by Richard Peck.

If you look for this, make sure you don't get the "young adult/abridged" version. (It's not racy but I guess there are some "mature" themes). I've re-read this book a number of times.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,737,655 times
I normally have zero interest in romantic novels, but I highly recommend Random Harvest. It also happens to be a great romantic film!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I normally have zero interest in romantic novels, but I highly recommend Random Harvest. It also happens to be a great romantic film!
So glad you mentioned this -- one of my favorites!!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:10 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I can get into both as long as they're good so recommend away.

I should probably state that I like humans in my romance novels, so please no novels about vampires or other non-human creatures.
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series defies categorization. It's mainly historical fiction with a time travel twist, but the characters are definitely human. There is a spin-off series and some short stories, too. The main series has seven big fat books, and the next is due later this year.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:28 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,570 times
You really need to go to another site that's more romance oriented. I like All About Romance - For Romance Novel Lovers - the site is dedicated to romance books without the snark you'll often find in most sites. It has information about upcoming books, special title listing section that groups readers recommended books within certain themes, etc. I'm not affiliated to that site in any shape or form, just a fellow romance reader recommending one helpful site to another.

Regarding recommendation, I highly recommend Jennifer Donnelly's "The Tea Rose", set in 1888 East End London and New York. Here's the book blurb from Amazon:

Quote:
East London, 1888 - a city apart. A place of shadow and light where thieves, whores, and dreamers mingle, where children play in the cobbled streets by day and a killer stalks at night, where bright hopes meet the darkest truths. Here, by the whispering waters of the Thames, Fiona Finnegan, a worker in a tea factory, hopes to own a shop one day, together with her lifelong love, Joe Bristow, a costermonger's son. With nothing but their faith in each other to spur them on, Fiona and Joe struggle, save, and sacrifice to achieve their dreams.

But Fiona's life is shattered when the actions of a dark and brutal man take from her nearly everything-and everyone-she holds dear. Fearing her own death, she is forced to flee London for New York. There, her indomitable spirit propels her rise from a modest West Side shop-front to the top of Manhattan's tea trade. But Fiona's old ghosts do not rest quietly, and to silence them, she must venture back to the London of her childhood, where a deadly confrontation with her past becomes the key to her future.
I also just finished Kristan Higgins' new release, "The Best Man", and it was a really good read. It's set in contemporary NY state's finger lakes region. It's a funny but sometimes poignant story. Here's the book blurb from Amazon:

Quote:
Faith Holland left her hometown after being jilted at the altar. Now a little older and wiser, she's ready to return to the Blue Heron Winery, her family's vineyard, to confront the ghosts of her past, and maybe enjoy a glass of red. After all, there's some great scenery there….

Like Levi Cooper, the local police chief—and best friend of her former fiancé. There's a lot about Levi that Faith never noticed, and it's not just those deep green eyes. The only catch is she's having a hard time forgetting that he helped ruin her wedding all those years ago. If she can find a minute amidst all her family drama to stop and smell the rosé, she just might find a reason to stay at Blue Heron, and finish that walk down the aisle.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:33 AM

50,353 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Any of Kathleen Woodiwiss books are good bodess rippers. I enjoy Dorothea Benton Franks for good beach reading.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:11 AM

995 posts, read 1,115,360 times
This is an old thread in the books forum you might want to check out:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/books...mend-more.html

Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Gone With The Wind
My favorite book of all time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Any of Kathleen Woodiwiss books are good bodess rippers. I enjoy Dorothea Benton Franks for good beach reading.
Kathleen Woodiwiss is one of my favorite historical romance authors. I like "Shanna" best. I've read it probably 3 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books