Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please check the appropriate boxes
I read the Acknowledgements 5 13.16%
I read the Preface 10 26.32%
I read the Introduction 11 28.95%
I do not read the Acknowledgements 2 5.26%
I do not read the Preface 0 0%
I do not read the Introduction 0 0%
I Read All Of Them 24 63.16%
I Don't Read Any Of Them 2 5.26%
Other: Please explain in your reply. 5 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 09:15 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,024,794 times

Advertisements

So.

For many years (decades, maybe even centuries), it has been customary for authors to include acknowledgements, an introduction and preface to their book.

Typically, I never read these. Once in a while, I will read the introduction if I am curious about how the author came to write the book, what prompted him to do so, but this is rarely the case. Most of the time I am simply wanting to know the INFORMATION in the book and so, I skip these three perfunctory sections. My thoughts are that A) I really don't give a rip who you want to thank, B) I don't care what the Introduction says and C) I don't even know what a Preface is. Mind you, I read mostly "self-improvement" type books, books on homesteading, gardening, etc. Which are more functional than biographies or "true stories" kind of thing.

My question is..... Do you read the Acknowledgement, Introduction and Preface when you read a book?

I'm curious how many do and do not.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 09:19 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,290,375 times
If it is going to give me anymore insight into the book than yes. If the book is fiction usually no.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:23 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,749,413 times
Depends on the type of book.

Non-fiction I most all of them, in the order presented. Often in non-fic, the Introduction or Preface talks a little bit about the scope of the book. Fiction, I read the book first and then sometimes go back and read the rest. Sometimes in "classic literature" fiction, the Introduction, written by a scholar or simply a fan of the book, gives away too much about the book. If I haven't read the book before, I don't want to be told what I am about to read.

I never read the recommendations or ad blurbs - I don't care what another author has been paid to say about it.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:06 AM

7,241 posts, read 9,228,741 times
I usually read all of them but for the acknowledgements. Some acknowledgements are nice and short - "for C, who had faith in me" - and some ramble on and they are people no one but the author knows.

I always read what the blurbs say - blurbs can tell you a lot about a book. If I don't like one of the blurb writers, I'll take a real close look at the book before buying it. If a writer I really like has praised a book, I'll also take a closer look at it. If the blurb person is one of those writers whose name I see on a lot of blurbs, I'm not interested. (There was a time when I saw Stephen King's name on too many blurbs) If the blurb writer isn't a writer, but a politician (and it isn't a political book), an actor, etc, then I'm not interested.

If I'm interested enough to buy the book, I will usually be interested enough to read the preface and the introduction.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:09 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,683,357 times
I'll usually read the preface and introduction, if they're included. But once I read a forward on a work of fiction, not written by the author, and it included a MAJOR spoiler. I have no idea why they'd include that!

Old 03-09-2013, 04:00 PM

15,488 posts, read 15,472,081 times
It depends on the book. I sometimes read acknowledgements, partly because I'm curious to see if there's anyone I know. If they're short. I'll read a page of acknowledgements, but not six pages of them. (I've been in acknowledgements a few times.) For certain kinds of books - like 19th century novels - I read the introductory stuff, but after the book, because they often discuss the plot.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:52 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,562,095 times
Other; it depends on the book.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:53 PM

22,850 posts, read 28,094,569 times
I even read the title page and legal text. I like to know who did the cover art, what the font is, etc. Because I'm a big nerd.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:35 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I even read the title page and legal text. I like to know who did the cover art, what the font is, etc. Because I'm a big nerd.
So do I. I always read it all, although with my reading audiobooks for the last few years, many times those features aren't included.

I also watch all the intros to movies and especially the full credits. Even though I can find most of that information on IMDB now, I usually forget to check there later, and it is a habit, and one that I enjoy and annoys the people who are watching the movie with me.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:27 PM

995 posts, read 1,110,078 times
I buy a book because I'm interested in what the author has to say.
I'd say that about 50% of the time, the author says something that is a sweet/sad/funny/touching tribute to whoever they've dedicated their book to, or if it's a preface, then it's about the book which I usually find interesting in some way.
I read boxtops too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books